Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What are you supposed to feel with SCS?

JagJJag Posts: 15
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
I'm wondering if part of the problem I'm having with my stim. is the settings. What exactly are you supposed to feel to have enough stim? Can you feel the buzzing and if so is it very light so you can hardly feel anything? Or is it supposed to be buzzing enough so you can feel the buzzing easily? It seems that when I can't feel the buzzing it wouldn't be keeping the pain away... yet when I can feel the buzzing it's so irritating. I think I'm missing a piece of the puzzle here with lack of info. Pretty much all I got was a video CD and booklet from medtronics that sang the praises of it, but didn't really get down to what you'd feel from it and what you should feel.

• Thats a hard question to answer since everyones body is different. My stim is very positional. In that i mean i may not feel it standing up but its real intense when i sit down.A point to consider and remember is that even though you do not feel the stim, if its turned on you are getting some benifit. If you feel yours is not working for you, you need to get with the Rep and get it to where you can tolerate it. There are hundreds or thousands of combinations that can be used to get you stim. I have had my implant for 14 months and have had reprogramming done like 8 times already. Do not feel like you are bothering your PM or the Rep if you ask for reprogramming.
  • As a general rule, you should expect the intensity of buzzing sensation to be near or equal the intensity of the pain sensations you're trying to relieve.

There are times when setting the SCS at a level you can barely feel will maintain pain control, but that's the exception, not the rule.