Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Count Down to my ADR(L4-5) Fusion(L5-S1) Surgery

KaitiedidKKaitiedid Posts: 20
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
In two weeks I will be leaving to Texas to have Surgery on my L4-5 with Prodisc ADR and L5-S1 Fusion with BMP.My surgery is on September 28th and will be done with a Anterior approach.I have researched every apsect I know what I'm getting into.I'm preparing my house to be Spiney friendly.Shopped for all the extras that will be needed.All is in place.But yet I have this ever so strong feeling of uneazy ,the feeling that something isn't right. I'm wondering if any of you have felt the same way with past surgeries or maybe a surgery coming up?? I think i have done everything I can to be prepared in every way but maybe I'm missing something.I would appreciate any suggestions you may have to offer. Thank you.

• Hi Katie...I had butterflys in my stomach for about 2 weeks before each surgery and had thoughts of will I go thru with it or wont I???

You are the only one who can make that decision and if your not comfortable maybe you could speak with the surgeon by phone??

Take care and my thoughts and prayers are with you..
  • Thanks Shelly for your thoughts.I'm pretty sure it's just a case of pre-surgery jitters.I think if a person didn't have them it wouldn't be normal.I have a few more questions for my surgeon.I trust him and like him alot.He has been very good on answering questions even taking the time to call me.Once I have a few more questions answered.It's time to make peace with this and know it's in god's hand and my surgeons.It will all work out.Thanks for writing me.Take care as well.
  • I felt the same as Shelly - will I go through with this or not, and I was glad that I did have the surgery. You're facing a very big surgery and long recovery time and the feelings beforehand can be quite overwhelming.

You've done everything you can to prepare yourself, and while there's no guarantees with surgery, I encourage you to have confidence in your surgeon's skill. When I prayed to God for strength to cope before my surgery, I also asked Him to guide my surgeon's hands.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Hi Trish I greatly appreciate the words of encouragement.I have to say for the last 4yrs. since I started having problems with my Cervical and then my Lumbar I haven't missed a single day to pray for guidance with this whole ordeal.My faith in God has sure helped me thru all of this along with family.Having groups like this as well with so many other people who completely understand what your going thru has also been such a blessing.Thank you again for your thoughts.
  • There were some CD's to help meditate through pre-surgical anxiety you could by online- I think Cath111 told me about them - there is one for pain too; has anybody else tried them? Cath - was that you that mentioned those tapes?

• and put on it various Christian music and songs that really spoke to me while I was suffering and afraid to have the surgery.

I listened to it while in pain before my surgery, while I was in the hospital (even during the night) and once I was home and recovering. It really helped me to focus on the strength and love that I could get from God. :-)

I still listen to it now :D
  • Thank you Jellyhall and Optimist for the great suggestions.I have an ipod which I have put some relaxation music on.It would be a great idea to update it with some more music that would help me relax and work thru my pain.Thank you again for the great idea I will be definetly adding some new music.
  • I absolutely second the idea of music. My ipod was invaluable before and after the surgery. Upbeat music couldn't lessen the pain but it did help distract me from thinking about the pain.

Anyone who says they are not worried before a major surgery of any sort, doesn't appreciate the difficulties of surgery. You are normal to worry. the most important thing is to acknowledge and then channel the worry into other actions.

Good luck for your surgery and recovery. I hope it all goes well.
  • Thank You Flash for the very nice reply.I agree with you I don't think it would be normal to say surgery is not on my mind.It's our bodies way of dealing with such a stressful time.I'm trying very hard not to let it consume me ,to remember to enjoy the simple things each day,enjoy my children and my life.It's not easy on a bad day but I refuse to let it win.I hold on strong that in less than two weeks I will be on the road to pain free days and having my life back.Thank you again.