Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sensitive Subject: Incontinence

angelanicaangelanic Posts: 256
Hi All,

Sensitive topic here. Anyone have incontinence with the sciaticia pain? I am having a hard time going because it hurts so much to sit on the toilet. But i also noticed that my underwear is a bit wet so i wondering if I am releasing urine and not feeling it because of the pain. This can not be good.

And really..is this necessary on top of the constapation from the stupid pain killers?

• I would be getting onto my Dr and letting them know whats going on.

I have a stimulator that is attached to my sacral nerve for bladder control as I was alwyas having accidents and Ive noticed since my spine surgerys that I have "little accidents" a few times a day and Ive told my Drs all about it and they are fine with it as I have permanent nerve damage to my spine.

Best get checked out..

Take care
  • I think you need to make contact with your primary care doctor and make them aware of what is going on. I had that same issue in May, unfortunately it hit a crisis point that i couldn't void at all. I ended up being on a cath bag for about a month, and now cath 3 times a day along with using medications to help it out. Don't always assume that is your spine though as many other things can cause this, but you need to let a doctor examine you and see what is going on. I went through the urodynamics testing along with pelvic ct scans and mri's. All of which lead back to a nerve issue. I will tell you one thing once you start relieving yourself be sure not to let up at all. It takes a lot of concentration to do this, but it is important not to let the stream stop.

There could be so many things at play from a stone to someone who has had children and a dropping bladder. So it is best to contact your primary care doctor and go from there.
  • seeing doc this afternoon. hoping it just the muscle relaxers. i can go but i have to focus and my leg hurts so bad it is hard not to stop the stream.

glad to hear from someone who experiences this even though I hate to have this happen to anyone.

• I hope it's minor...

I found myself "leaking" a few months back and told my doctor and he said it sounded like bladder spasms to him. So, yet another med to my list, he put me on vesicare...I think it's a newer generation ddrug to detrol (you remember the "I gotta go, gotta go, gotta go go go" commercials?)...anyway, since I've been taking it, I have had no more issues, so I guess he was right! Hope you find out and hope it's minor and can be fixed easily...blessings...
  • Good luck at the Dr and please let us know how you get on..

• I had lumbar reconstruction surgery several years ago. The surgery didn't work very good,am worse off now than before. I also picked up a nasty little problem like yours. When I get tired and stand from sitting for any amount of time I will void some urine. Have tried all the drugs to help without much success. Doc's say nerve damage, that does not help.
    Long story short through trial and error I have found the only thing that helps me . Is every time I am up and close to the bathroom, I go sit down and empty my bladder as much as I can. I am not one who should have to sit for this. Since the surgery it seems the only way I can go at all. Best of luck to you hope this helps in some way.
  • Thanks for the comments and thoughts.

Doc said it was not a concern, seemed like related to Muscle Relaxers and the fact i was in so much pain when I sat down. I am good now...after the ESI I got yesterday. Not 100% but much much better.

• That the Dr says its not a concern..

Take care and I hope your recovery is easier from here.
  • Angela I had incontinence twice after my first set of ESI's. My PM Dr. told me about "leakage" but was surprised to have gone in the bed. Good to hear the Dr. says it wasn't a concern. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I have had this little issue for some time now. Talk about annoying! My pain management Dr had me read up on fibromyalgia,incontinence is on the list of symptoms.(I had no idea) I have sciatica too.I do the exercises (kegal),watch my fluid intake,etc....it doesn't matter,I have little to no control.I plan to ask my doc about Detrol.
    Glad the ESI has provided some relief! I hope it lasts forever! Sagehen
  • Issues at L2/3/4 here..no surgery yet. I don't know if this is the same? If my bladder is 1/2 full or more, a sneeze or a cough - accident. Most times just enough to wet a small spot, but I've had were well...had to do a thorough cleaning! Never an accident while sleeping, so far, if I have to go, I wake up and go. Only constant meds for me, Lyrica and Toprol (beta blocker).

Soft #2 has been an issue for a while too. Toprol for that issue...

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • hi all,
    i can relate to all of the above posts.
    i had TVT surgery on 21stjuly this year and believe me it was the best thing i ever done!!!
    look into it i seriously recommend this surgery.

just my own personal opinion ladies!!!

LOVE P
  • I too have a TVT in place as well as a stimulator attached to my sacral nerve for my bladder problems and I agree STRONGLY with Mrs P, the TVT was a blessing.