Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Yoga article

tamtamttamtam Posts: 2,749
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Exercise and Rehab
Here is a new article on yoga and how it may help some with spine issues. Might be very useful for some looking for how to beat the cold winter blues as well with back pain.

• Yoga, modified, can be very helpful. I'm on a fairly aggressive 90-day workout routine. It uses several forms of exercise. No heavy lifting at all. A mat, resistance bands and/or dumb bells. I won't mention the name of the program. It calls one of the parts "Power Yoga".

Power Yoga uses the basic Yoga routines like Downward Dog, Runners Pose, Warrior Pose, Yoga pushup, Child's Pose, etc and mixes them together. I can do all but the last part of that type of pushup as it bends your back into extension. With lower lumbar hardware that is a bad idea. Beyond that the rest of the moves are fine and cause no back extension. They work very well to help provide strength and balance and you will burn calories.

If you have cable tv with an upgrade package look at the "Exercise On Demand" channel. There is a whole series on Yoga. Pilates too! There are a lot of good and free exercises on that channel. The 90-day workout program I am using cost me about $60 and is worth every penny. You'll spend that on an hour of private Yoga lessons. So don't let cost stop you. You can do it cost effectively with some common sense on your limitations.

PS: Tam. New? That article is published 12/02/2003 and hasn't been updated. ;-)

• That's a good article and hopefully it'll help some people here.

I started basic Tai Chi and Qigong exercises at 7 months post op and they have made such a difference to my back. It teaches you to relax all the muscles and where I was having muscle spasms in the thoracic area post-op, it's all gone now. I noticed the change after a couple of weeks.

I was introduced to Tai Chi by a group of Chinese people who meet every Sunday at the park where I exercise my dogs. I do most of my Tai Chi from DVDs at home.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    My doctor and I have been talking about taking up some Yoga to help with my overall spinal situation.
    She did insist that I needed a low and mild version of Yoga, that would not impact any of my current conditions.

She has given me the name of a few Yoga'ites (if there is such a word) to see if I can hook up with them and try things out.

I just have to remember its Yoga, not Yogi Berra, or Yoga the Bear from Jellystone Park or just plain ole yogurts.

Tam, thanks for the pointer
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Good luck to you all! I tried many times, and never was able to find a pain-free way to do yoga. I am hopeful that post-surgery I'll be able to do some!

I'd suggest an instructor if you've never done yoga, as they can help you modify the positions to keep pressure off of whatever parts of your spine might be weaker.
  • Yoga is a system inclusive of physical and mental training that can benefit people of all ages. Yoga improves your endurance. Hatha yoga can relieve chronic back and neck pain. Yoga can help you lose weight. Yoga can help fight fatigue and Pulse rate decreases.
  • Yoga has positions that act on different joints in the body, including joints that are never really on the radar screen let alone exercised. It makes the body more flexible and helps you relax even in the midst of a sudden stress environment.Yoga extends not only your muscles, but all the soft tissues of the body.
  • PslaugterPPslaugter Posts: 1
    edited 07/13/2012 - 6:12 AM
    I did a presentation in college about yoga, and I learned that yoga can help the whole body as it refers to aligning the mind and body, getting energies in the right place and helping muscle and bone health. I am not sure i believe in the whole spiritual side of things, but if it seems to help the body as a whole then why not try it, of course after talking to your doctor. I don't know how it would work after spine surgery though, I found a video of a lady that teaches yoga after spine surgery, but I am not sure if this is a special case or if anyone can do it? thoughts?

Link removed, as it is just a advertisement for a doctor, and their institute, not about yoga. Edited by TamTam
  • Yoga is safe form of exercises...Yoga offers many health benefits and may even be included as part of some treatment plans.
    Talk with the instructor and others who do that type of yoga to be sure it's suitable for you.
  • anelsen15anelsen15 Posts: 119
    edited 08/01/2012 - 11:08 AM
    Yoga is safe but you have to let instructor know your ailment cause there are instances where caused more pain and injury. I did it while back and was great. Im trying to get into Bikram yoga class as I heard not as much bending over poses. My job has me so many places though hard to get good place. Pilates another great thing.
    LOL, my mom said my dad was doing ti chi when they were in her 20's and everyone thought he was wierd cause no one in that area knew what it was.
    Herniated T6-7, multiple herniations in cervical, tears in T5-T8. Stenois at levels and smorls nodes from thoracic thru lumbar
  • Because of back stuff my exercise routines have changed, including how I do yoga and Pilates. I always try something from Netflix. But they have a great one I would say is a good back stretch video. Yoga for back