Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

should not have had physio

cybertonyccybertony Posts: 30
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well was doing great 10 months post fusion was back Mountain biking wake boarding then I went for Physio for a slight shoulder problem.What a mistake, the guy reefed so hard on my shoulder he re injured my neck.Legs and arms are now going numb waiting for MRI result. not impressed and very worried

• Ooh ouch :( What a bummer.
  • Not good :( Hope the physio hasn't caused any permanent damage to your fusion - was he aware that you'd had one? Some ultrasound and gentle massage or acupuncture might have been a better way to go.

Wait and see what the MRI says and hoping that your neck will be ok in time.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • When was this physical therapy session? One physical therapist I had indicated to me that I would have more pain before I would get better.

At one point in my nursing career, I worked as a nurse at a rehab facility. Rehab is painful, you work hard to get better. Personally, I don't agree with that, but I am not a physical therapist or a physiatrist. Hope your symptoms quiet down soon.

• I'm not sure I agree with "One physical therapist I had indicated to me that I would have more pain before I would get better." as mentioned in the above post. But hey, I'm no expert of course so what do I know.

Anyone who undergoes physiotherapy or chiropractic sessions obviously gives their full history of pain/surgery etc. and must be able to make it clear to the therapist that whatever exercise they are being asked to do actually causes them significant pain! At least they have some idea of what you're feeling.

I was always under the impression that "no pain meant no gain" - however, I was corrected when a previous surgeon said that if, as in my case, it hurt my back, then I was to stop doing it.

Just my 2p's worth.

2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • I would wait to see what the tests show. And ask you doctor if PT could have caused this new problem.

I'm trying to think of what you could have done in PT that would injure both your shoulder and your lower back. I had rotator cuff surgery last year and did pt before and after. Those exercises had nothing to do with my back.

Like all professions you can get good and bad PTs. How long did you go and what type of exercises were you doing?
  • I have seen a lot of patients like this. We often tend to ignore a physio's reputation thinking "what harm can a physio do?"
    Perfect example of a quack physio !

I would be a lot worried by the numbness of your hands. Urgent MRI needed according to me and move fast with whatever diagnostic tests needed like nerve conduction tests and so on. Prompt treatment is essential.
  • From your "direct" instructions to someone you don't know, I gather you're some sort of medical professional? Have you registered with the site owners to give medical advice? Same with your spam links...they aren't allowed here either.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.