Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MVA on Sat

ileneiilene Posts: 140
My husband was driving, we were going straight, we saw a car stopped waiting to make a left, and he wound going right into us. I was just going into my pocketbook looking for my walet, when we hit, I am sure I hit the passenger door/window. But have not figured out why my left arm and mid spine hurt. I had x rays, and CAT scan of T spine and do not have a fracture, also x rays of my left shoulder. Not sure why, but when I move my left shoulder it shoots into my spine. Doctor in ER said T1-2 tender to touch, T6 I know I have a herniation, but this too hurts more then regular. Doctor in ER said I may just have a sprain, but may be more, so she is sending me to the spine institute associated with the ER I went

Oh, the person who hit us told the cops that "he wasn't looking when he turned, he was distracted by a car that went around him", my husband thought his breath smelled of alcohol, which he told the officers. I was in the ER for 6 hours, the doctor would have let me stay over night, but I said there was little they could do for me I couldn't have at home...so she sent me home. I have only gotten out of bed to go to the bathroom, just to much pain to move around.

Does anyone know why when I move my left shoulder, the pain goes right into my spine, dooctor didn't think it was going into C spine, she thought T spine. I had a C5-6 fusion last aug, and have had a lumbar decompression L4-S1 in 01, and live in pain...I know I am in spasm now, but the pain is different then in the past.

• Oh Ilene I'm so sorry to hear about your accident. I can tell you with absolute certainty that being in an accident like this with your seat belt on will cause injury to your buckle side. In my accident the injury was to my right since I was driving. In your case as the passenger it makes sense that your left side is hurt.

Have an orthopedist check your shoulder for rotator cuff injury. My accident caused a tear which shocked everyone. It was also the cause of my T1-2 herniation.

Another thought is that sometimes it takes a day or so and some moving around before any fractures will show. I've had this several times with the kids.

Hope you can find some relief. I can't wait to see what they find.
  • Ilene,

That really just bites having a accident when you already had pain issues. Sometimes after a car accident it can take some time for everything to settle down. But then of course sense you have already had cervical spine surgery you know about radicular pain. In my accident I actually injured my left shoulder, but I was the driver and the seatbelt itself caused the injury. But you know those accidents you seemed to get tossed about pretty good. Maybe if it don't settle down in a few days you should think about contacting your surgeon and getting a new MRI, just to be sure. After my accident the way my arm hurt I swore I must have had a fracture in my arm some place that wasn't showing, and that is when I learned about radiculopathy.

Anyway I hope it will all calm down for you soon, but maybe a trip to your spine surgeon would be in order to just check everything. Hope you get to feeling better soon, though.
  • I had a mva in november and had the same symptoms, turns out the xray and ct scan didnt see what the mri did... a torn rotator cuff!! And the pain was exactly like u are describing it went from my shoulder to the middle of my spine between my shoulder blades. i also had severe neck pain and it turns out i had a herniated disc that was compressing the spinal cord, had my rotator cuff repaired in dec. and a acdf last month aug 4th. this may not be what is wrong with u but seems oddly familiar! good luck, hope u find out soon!!
  • Well it's been a bit over a week since the acident. Turns out he has only 10,000 on property damage, he bent the suspention on our 08 Camry, but since air bags didn't come out we were able to rent a car on him. I saw a spine doctor at the spine inst. connectd with the hospital where I went to the ER, had MRI's of C and T spine on Sat. The spasms do feel better, but my upper arms and left shoulder still hurt. I am hoping to get the results tomorrow....and hope all is just soft tissue injury. Doctor in ER and spine doctor mentioned my pain is consistant with T1-2 problem, which unfortunately is one of the only discs in my spine without any previous problems. T5-6 down has osteophytes, bulges, etc, C spine had fusion on C5-6, but know 4-5, 5-6 have herniations too. I just which my arms felt better, can't stand waiting to find out.
  • I hope your tests come back alright and it's only a muscle strain. That's awful if that man was drinking and guess they didn't do any testing on him? Pray you heal soon. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Spoke to MD yesterday, official report will be on Thursday, but he said all looked pretty "stable", degenerative disc disease, and fusion looks ok. shoulder and arm still hurt, so he questioned weather it can be rotator cuff. My big question is that my inner arm on pinky side started to tigle last night, along with the back of my neck....I'm still anxious I guess....will try to put behinnd me now.

• Ilene,

I hope that you will be okay.

My MVA was in late April. I had X-rays following the accident that checked my hardware. I had just return to work 2 days before my accident from my ACDF C5/6/7.

My NS thought I would just be delayed in "healing". Whiplash was my diagnosis and they thought after 6 weeks I would be better. Wrong.

I have gotten progressivley worse, I am really worried about being able to keep my job and getting rid of the pain or just managing it in a way where I can function. I am back to looking for a lawyer.