Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New here, hello to all

duhibrokeitduhibrokeit Posts: 11
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello to all, sorry that I have came to seek help here, but it is all good in its own way. I am 30, with a 10 year old back injury, that the military just left alone. I was told my body will absorb the bulge at L4/L5 L5/S1. So, after I broke my ankle, my back problems went away because my activity level went south! I have something new that has occurred, and am struggling with no diagnosis, or the you are to young and your pain doesn't match your films speech! I've had several tests/med changes with no help. Hope everyone finds some pain relief at some point!

• Duhibrokeit,

Welcome to Spine-Health!! You will find a lot of folks here with varied spine and nerve issues. If you have questions, you can first use the search box at the top of the web page - you might find others have your exact questions, and answers to follow. Also the site is owned by doctors, and as such you will find quite a few articles written by them along with videos.

Sorry you had to find us, but happy that you'll see you found a great place for support! Welcome aboard!! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Hi, and thanks to the welcome... How'd you go down on a sunny day? A and P here... started out rotor wing, but happily fixed wing now!
  • A&P, ATP (fixed/rotor/types)CFIAIMERIG <-- Alphabet soup! (G)

Basically I was an examiner, and I was giving a guy his initial CFI (Helo) checkride. His task was to "teach" me as though a private pilot student a power recovery auto-rotation. He applied power for the recovery while still in a flare (no no procedure), the engine quit and immediately the rotor was dragged below any level that any lift was left to soften any landing. I elected to level and 're-yank' the collective for that last little inch of hope out of the rotor, then I hard flared with the intent of dragging the helicopter and throw parts!

The body does not handle "vertical drops" anywhere near as well as side and outward. We still had the vertical moment mind you, but with forward motion when we hit and as such spreading the forces vs just 'down.' So after we hit, we slammed out sideways, then whipped around 180 degrees before all was said and done. :(

It took 8 months of therapy to get back in the air after that! Of course too later it was found this jerk "I was testing/observing" for his CFI falsified his logbook. Yeah, big surprise there! You asked... (G) Nice to see another aviator on here! :)

• OUCH! Sorry to hear... but if it was in an R44, that could have happened in at 10 foot drop!!!! LMAO... I have to laugh at my bad luck! If not I would be crazy by now. I wanted to fly, but glad that I didn't, I'd be dead by now. Some people can't accept the negative way, but as long as I laugh about my bad luck it is all good! I was a sheet metal mech in the Army for 4, 3 years at Horizon Air and a year and half with my current company. None of our guys falsify anything. We have a lot of pilots with 30-40K hrs, some don't even keep a personal log book anymore, just for company records to satisfy the feds. Alaska bush time is worth double anyways, right? :-) When I was at Bragg, we use to watch the 82nd pilots practice auto rotation all the time... in 2 years saw 2 Kiowa's trucked off on flatbeds! I've learned that one's experience shows... no matter what the situation is, but my problem is being a mechanic, all problems are fixable, unless it is a hull loss! This is one major hiccup I am having, not being able to fix myself, or find a diagnosis with my symptoms and film results. Maybe tomorrow holds the truth. Nice to meet you.
  • Actually it was an Enstrom. It autoed like a baby Huey actually - err, most times! (G) I understand your wanting things "fixed" as I too started my career in the Army (10 years active and reserve mix) as a helicopter repairman. Because of it (3 MOS's) I was able to just go take my civilian written's, and then the oral and practicals.

Aaah, R22's and R44's - I flew the R22's in the bottom 80's before they had tip weights! When the AD came out to add like 1.5 lbs to the blade tips, I was amazed at the increase in the auto-rotational capability! Yeah, the rotor is low inertia, so rotor goes bye-bye fast - too fast! Aaah Kiowas'. Hehehe "Le smile de skids Kiowa's!" Huey's look cool when they smile a bad auto too! When I was at Ft. Rucker in 97 for my Blackhawk AQC (PIC check out), a 58 did a smile parallel to us in the out landing LZ near Enterprise. Bet that paperwork was fun!!

Bush time and Freight dog time in the Northeast is like for every hour, Joe regular pilot would have to fly up to 5 hours for the same experience! Rofla!! Nice to meet you as well. :)