Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

'old' new member

abbeyjoyaabbeyjoy Posts: 23
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in New Member Introductions
I'm so glad I finally found this site again. Several years ago, I found such great help from several members, including JJGrey and Jeauxbert (sorry if the spelling is wrong--its been a long time !!) Anyway, since that time, I've received SS Disability and its now coming upon my two year 'wait' for medical coverage. YOU helped me with that, and I'm so grateful.

On Nov. 1st, I will be eligible for Medicare. I have been to their office, filled out papers, asked questions -- guess what? I still don't understand. Could you please help me again? I believe I'm signed up for Medicare A & B? but I don't really know what they are. Do I need to get a supplement before I get off my husband's insurance? You hear all kinds of horror stories, and I want to make doubly sure I'm doing this correctly. We pay over $900. a month for the two of us !! And that still only covers about 80%. He's 64 and I'm 60. Its killing us.

Could someone please tell me if Medicare covers medicines?
Also, if I filed separately from my husband, would I be eligible for any more benefits? Anything you can tell me would be so helpful.

I got disability because I have my neck totally fused and also a large curvature (scoliosis) in my lower spine. Between the two, I am in constant pain. My husband retired from a very physical job but has had to work part time just to meet our bills (esp. health). I would love to be able to not feel like a 'burden' to him. Thank you so much...

• Medicare A and B. Here is what I know from dealing with medicare on my parents behalf as I handle all of their financial things. Medicare A covers all your major medical such as hospital stays and what not. Your B coverage is what is used to cover things like physical therapy and what not. Now there is also part D which is your prescription Drug coverage, It is in the part D that you hear of the so call donut hole. If you look back through the insurance section there is a old topic about the changes with the new health care and I explained the donut whole that exist in that coverage. The donut hole is not expected to close till the year 2020. The donut hole is huge and is what is effecting most people on medicare. Your premiums on medicare are a $100 per month, but keep in mind medicare only covers 80% of your medical and you need to pick up the additional 20%.

So if your asking should you have a supplemental insurance to cover in for medicare? My answer is most definite yes. I know when my mom was alive the supplemental policy is what saved us from financial hardships. Be very careful when you read any of the supplemental insurance premiums on what they cover. Your looking to be sure they cover medicine if you don't get part D. But part D is in serious jeopardy under the new legislation. The other part is look at what they will pay on their part. For example my parents supplemental had a $2,500 deductible before it started paying. But the $2,500 was based on what medicare pays. So for example say a office visit cost $50 and medicare pays $25 only the remaining $25 goes to your deductible, provided that $50 was a allowable amount to charge under medicare.

But the bottom line is you will need something for prescription drug coverage and part D is where the donut whole you hear everyone speaking of exist. My parents having a supplemental don't pay for the part D, so never fell in the donut hole. Also if you buy a supplemental see if the prescriptions count towards your deductible in the supplemental.

Hope this helps some and if I can be of any more help don't hesitate to pm me.