Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Mega Pain/2 days in hosp.......

kyadog115kkyadog115 Posts: 266
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:47 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi All..
Quick update...Big-time pain,shooting pain,treatetd "funny" in hosp.Will elab tom,just wanted to inform everbody who was so very concerned for me, that I at least "pulled thru"
Paul
advertisement

Comments

• I'm sorry to hear that things aren't all rosy. Hopefully tomorrow is better.

take care
  • let us know how your doing now and I hope your feeling a little better.

Shelly
  • I hope you start feeling better real soon.

Take it easy, try to catch up on your sleep and I wish you less pain.

Tammy

• Glad to see you're okay? Please let us know what happened, and how you were treated "funny." I hope you're feeling better now. *HUG*

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thanks to all whom replied. Last night I could only write that short piece.I'll try to keep this as brief as I can. I did make it thru.4 hour surgery.I only saw/spoke to the surgeon once after waking up from the procedure. Naturally I was still out of it,but I recall him saying he removed the L-5 disc and something>> about facet....i'm not clear at all as to what he did. He did say he inserted a rod..x number of millimeters long. Anyway,at various times on this site we have all discussed how Dr's treat u like a "drug-seeker"..again, I felt i was treated like this.Only because this narcotic medication was to be given every 8 hrs(oxycontin) and the 20 migs of Oxy IR every 4 hrs....when It didnt come, I asked for it as I was in terrible pain.I had a substance abuse issue sometime ago and i informed my PCP of this...since then, I'm like "Black-balled"This hospital is a teaching hospital and it is massive.Its like its own small city!Anyway , that being said, u cannot get good,individualized attention there.To many patients,not enuff staff. Heres another weird thing.My surgeon said he would manage my pain meds as I went thru this process.Now I'm told to contact my PCP for pain control meds.I think this is cuz my PCP was giving me 60mgs OC 3x's a day and 10/325 3xs a day for Bt.I believe the surgeon feels thats excessive and he wont continually perscribe that dosage. However, he did give me 60mg oc 4 x's a day and 5 migs oxyir 12 a day,so i just dont get it. Upon discharge,they told me to make an appt w/PCP in 2 weeks and the see the surgeon in 4 weeks, i dont understand this as he(surgeon)gave me a months worth of meds.Long story short ,hopefully I can wein of these things all together as Ive been on them for a few years. In the hospital ,they were gunna give me morphine but i didnt want it cuz it makes me sick, So, they gave me IV dilaudid and then IV Morph.I have a walker that was delivered here last night and I'm expecting a call from a visiting nurse,as I cant drive for at least 6 weeks.I have bad pain shooting into both legs and in my hips still. I hope in time that will go away,as this was the reason for the op to begin with. Gotta go lay down
    Thanks everybody,i'll reply to all that post.
    Paul
  • Im so sorry to hear about how much pain you are in..But I remember it well. I was miserable for the first month. I know we are all different.

I wish you had someone with you to help out. If I lived near you I would help you!!! Because I understand exactly what you are going through. My husband did so much for me the first couple of months.

I am almost 7 months out of surgery and I still need pain meds 3 times a day for breakthrough pain. I was never put on a long acting medication like Oxycontin.
    My surgeon still prescribes for me. But I am trying to lower the amt I take. I would like to get off of them completely.

Take care,
    Tonya
  • Glad to see you're back with us darlin! I haven't had lumbar surgery yet, so I watch what a lot of you guys go through to hopefully "limit" my surprises! I am going to hope much of what you're feeling now is surgical pain (their positioning of you, the procedure itself), and to nerves screaming as they are now hopefully fully freed up and will begin the healing process.

Teaching hospital, I guess they all aren't like what we see on "House" eh? :) I've found it all comes down to the staff. My last 2 surgeries were in the same hospital (same surgeon), the first go around, the staff was AWESOME, this last one they were HORRIBLE (except for one nurse, she was great). Hopefully your meds will get squared away, and you will feel better.

You are now "on the other side", so try and rest and follow every inch of your doctors instructions. Of course we are here for free *HUGZ* and chat! :)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Tonya,
    Yes,I agree.I do not wanna stay on these pills forever either.Clearly, i do them now.240 migs of oxycontin ia a very high dosage,i think. I most likely do have a tolerance cuz I been on them for a few years now.
    Horefully my pain will subside in time. 1 good thing so far that came outta this is......I have NOT smoked a cig in 4 days. 2 days in hosp,2 days home and none yet. Im gunna try to not smoke as per Dr's orders but for my own health mainly. (I'm having a beer and I can feel that sensation of wanting a cig..Not gunna give in!!
    Paul
  • Thanks Brenda.I am on the "other side" as u said. time thngs will get better...i'll keep checking in...
    Thanks
    Paul
  • Yes, you do eventually want to get off the drugs, but fusion surgery is a big deal and it HURTS. Stopping your pain meds right now is not something you want to worry about. Give yourself a couple of months before you worry about cutting back and then stopping. My feeling on the whole thing is God let us make pharmaceutical companies for a reason!
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Hi Paul,

Now you are healing and on the way to enjoying life again. Although, I know just being home for a few weeks is as far as you can think, now!!!

I remember that thigh pain was excruciating. It was killing me. I am sorry that you are feeling that.

I have to say that the meds helped and I was on only one percacet every 4 or 6 :(

By the 2nd day, the pain was so much better!!! The 3rd day, I was alright. "Alright" with the pain with respect to how it was after surgery...the nerves will calm down.

Ask for Ice packs...they may not offer (for the back). If they don't have any, tell them to fill a glove with ice. The day following surgery,,,I loved ice and have from then on.

I know it is really bad!!! The worst is almost over :)

Just think, you will be home soon, and in a few weeks typing, telling someone what we are telling you :) :) :)
  • Great to hear you're done with the surgery. Sorry your pain wan't under control for a bit but hope you're under control now. At least your pain management Dr. will handle your meds and I heard the first two weeks is the most difficult but haven't had surgery I just heard it's a long time healing but hope you're feeling better soon. Take care and get your rest and walk little bits when you're ready. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
advertisement