Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Well, to my fellow friends...

tarheelgirlttarheelgirl Posts: 473
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I told you I would not leave you hanging about my SSD case.
I recieved my determenation in the mail today that I had won a "partially favorable" decision. This meant that they did not find me disabled Oct 07 when I stopped working, but instead Nov 08 with the increased documentation of my doctor of my restrictions. So, I just miss out on one year of back pay, but I think I can live with that! I'm very happy and feel blessed...but then have that feeling "oh my gosh, I'm really disabled"! It truely is bitter sweet...but after waiting two years and all that my family has been thru, it's more sweet.

Funny story, I opened an account JUST for my SSD, just in case I got it and it's been sitting there waiting all this time...well, the bank closed it last week since there was not money and no action in it in over a year. So, I am having to get SS my new account info. I have a million questions...but, for now, I'll just thank God and be happy that the hearing was a success for me. Thanks to all who have been following my story...I really do appreciate all of you!

Blessings to each of you...

• I am so happy for you! I hope this lightens your load that little bit, so that you can concentrate on YOU!
  • WTG!!! It's great to hear some good news. Let's hope good things keep coming your way.
  • Dear Tarheelgirl,

I am absolutely thrilled to hear this news. :)

Many hugs to you! >:D<

Thank you for letting us know.

No more waiting around... it's done, it's final and the many prayers were heard.

Take good care,

Very happy for you. Now at least you can start getting your life back on track.
    Have a beer and relax and enjoy. =D>
  • This is wonderful news. We have all been thinking about you and there are whole bunch of smiles on this forum from friends who are happy for you!! I wish you could see them. I imagine it looks something like this:

:H #:S ;) :))) ;)) (8) O:) :-C =D> :O) :/ B) B) :SS :))( :* @) >:D< :> :) I) 8} :< :H #:S ;) :))) ;)) (8) O:) :-C =D> :O) :/ B) B) :SS :))( :* @) :> :) I) 8} :< :H :S ;) :))) ;)) (8) O:) :/ B) B) :SS :))( :* @) :> :) I) 8} :< :H :S ;) :))) ;)) (8) O:) :-C :O) :/ B) B) :SS :))( :* @) :) I) 8} :< :H #:S ;) :))) ;)) (8) O:) :-C =D> :O) :/ B) B) :SS :))( :* @) >:D< :> :) I) 8} :< :H #:S ;) :))) ;)) (8) O:) :-C =D> :O) :/ B) B) :SS :))( :* @) :> :) I) 8} :< :H :S ;) :))) ;)) (8) O:) :/ B) B) :SS :))( :* @) :> :) I) 8} :< :H :S ;) :))) ;)) (8) O:) :-C :O) :/ B) B) :SS :))( :* @) :) I) 8} :<
  • Tarheelgirl,

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Dave,

This is the best!

You are a great man.

Tammy :)
  • So happy for you! great news! Yay! How long did you have to wait? Anyways thank goodness! Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I'm sure that's such a load off your mind. I know that the financial side of things cause alot of extra stress for most of us.
  • I'm so pleased for you!!! Will you be getting Medicare too? That's takes a while to kick in.
    Time to celebrate!

P x
  • We know money does not buy happiness nor does it buy back our health.

In this case, I sincerely hope it will lessen your load, help you get some of the care you have spoken of and will remove some of the stresses that certainly do not help when in chronic pain.

The closing of this chapter/battle with SSD alone will hopefully remove a huge amount of stress from you and your family. YEAH for YOU!

• I stopped work in Oct 07
    I applied in March 08
    I was denied,
    I appealed,
    I was denied again,
    I asked for hearing,
    I got the hearing 9/1/10 (I think the letter to my congressman helped speed up hearing date)
    I got letter yesterday that I am "partially favorable" b/c SS says my date of disability is Nov 08 and not Oct 07. Hope that helps...let me know if you have any questions or if I can help at all.
    So, it took 2.5 years from the time I applied to getting it...about the average length.

Frog, yes, you are exactly right that money does not bring back our health and does not bring happiness. My family lost so much with the loss of my salary over the last 3 years (our home, a car, bankruptcy, etc)...but since that is all past, all I can do is look ahead. Two things I want with my monthly payment: a house cleaner to help take the burden off my hubby who cooks, cleans, works, does laundry, etc....and aqua therapy which my doctor has wanted me to get for over a year! Now I can afford it! Yay! The rest goes to bills.

Thank you all for your encouragement and happy words! I appreciate the friendships I've formed here.
  • Mmmm, aquatherapy. I'm jealous!
  • Tarheelgirl,

Whew!! I can feel your body saying that! I can see the stress falling off of you, and you finally feeling a war has been won! Good for you! When you asked of our feelings of your hearing results, I told ya it sounded good! *HUGZ* Congrats again woman!! :)

• ...it works! I went for a consult months ago, but could not afford it at all. It looked so good!! My doctor has been wanting me to go for a long time now. I can't wait to make an appt...but got to get the checks coming in first! :)

I wish we belonged to a gym or something with an indoor pool so once I learn the exercises I could put them to use. We live in a community where we have two great outdoor pools...but they close at labor day and aren't really for PT type swimming anyway. Oh well...Maybe if it works, I will find somewhere.

My doctor made a home visit this evening b/c my pain was not controlled by switching to the pain patches (fentanyl) this week...and they made me mean...I mean I was not myself at all! So, since he called me after they had closed today, he grabbed my chart and came over on his way home. I just love him so much. So, we went back to oxycontin 80mg (upped it to 80 from 60) 3 times a day as well as my IR oxy 20mg 4 times daily...and I ripped that patch off! I took an oxycontin 80mg (which was the new formula that you can't abuse...YAY!!!) I did ok with fentanyl in the past...I dont' know what went wrong this time. Within an hour of taking the new oxy, I was my normal self...pain low, energy better, good mood.

He also is trying restoril for me for sleep since NOTHING can make me sleep.

He is also going to start working me up for an intrathecal pain pump...so that may be in my near future. You only end up getting 1/300th of the oral dose you take! I've heard great things about them. I can't imagine not using this cane, or walking with a limp and being able to keep up with my kids again. We will see!!

Take care everyone! Blessings to you all! Have a good weekend. Sorry, I hijacked my own SSD thread with everything else going on with me...I don't know where to post everything now. I feel lost.
  • Tarheelgirl,

As I alluded to in my prior post, getting approved has definitely put your spark back! Woohooo! Looks like things are definitely on the upswing, huh? Enjoy!! :) A doctor who still does house calls. Now *I* am jealous! (G) *HUGZ*

• Tarheelgirl that is awesome to hear the news you have received...and in reading what your path has been like in the process of your claim and appeals ! So happy for you!!!

You stood strong, didn't give up and knew your rights those benefits and they are now coming to support you in this difficult journey!

My heart-thoughts go out to you and others who have had the challenge to go through denial and appeals with the extended stress and uncertainty... I so wish the process could go as mine did... when a person who provides thorough and full documentation, extensive medical history for disabling disease/conditions...and be approved right off.

So glad you had the faith and fortitude to see it through!! You surely must be sooooo happy!

Bless you....I'm doing a "happy (spirit) dance" with you!!! TUG thank you God!!

• thanks Janelle!
    There aren't many who get approved the first go-round. My attorneys said that my age and degree hurt me there b/c my medical records were so good that I should have been approved, but they primed me to expect to have denials due to my age...but said we'd keep pushing...they wanted us to give up...and many do give up. So to EVERYONE in process of going for SSD, don't give up!!! Keep on appealing!!

Thanks Brenda...you are so sweet! And, yeah, I'm not giving my doctor's name to anyone! He's mine! hehehehe Isn't he wonderful? He wants to be a little ole country doc still doing house calls...he's one in a million!
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Thats great having a doctor like him.
    Doctor i use to have from when i was 10 y/o til i was 38 y/o thats when he retired. He was the same way And he was there when both of my kid's were born.

I got teary eye'd when he told me he was retiring, he was the kind of person who was one of a kind. It sure is nice when you have a great doctor like that.
    Sorry just brought back mrmories.

Have a nice day.

• I am so pleased for you.
    I hope that will relieve some of the financial worries and now you can focus of finding things that can help your back.

Do take good care and I look forward to hearing some positive news of how the aquatherapy goes. :-)

You have a lovely doctor there; not many like that left now.
    Does he do house calls to the UK?!! ;)
  • lol...you know, I believe he's originally from the UK...maybe London area? He's has a strong British accent...I love it! There are many from the UK on here, huh? That's neat... And thank you. I do tend to try to help my back with therapies once I start recieving checks.