Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Increased Pain (tools to help)/Tens

flower12345fflower12345 Posts: 62
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Chronic Pain
Hello. I have had increased pain lately. It's really hard to deal with. I have a doctor's appointment coming up soon, as I feel that I need to figure out how to get this pain under control.

Does anyone use a tens unit? I had one years ago. If you have one, does it help your muscle spasms/nerve pain?

I use a heating pad, ice, etc. I go to physical therapy. It helps a lot, but not enough right now.

I was reading some other posts about meditation. Does anyone know of any good books that are about relaxation techniques that I could use to help? I can go to the store and buy a book this weekend.

I have had this increase in pain because of my job, and everything (in regards to accommodations that I could make) is totally out of control. I'm stuck in this situation at work until June.

Any advice would be great.

• I want to PM some relaxation links for you. Don't think we can share links here? I have used relaxation to help me relax and sleep. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Yes, I have a TENS unit. It's an Empi. I had three totally torn discs and had severe sciatica down my right hip and leg, into my foot. Every now and then, since recovering from my surgery, I'll move the wrong way and end up with some sciatica again. I use the Empi to try (and usually succeed) and relieve the pain before having to take a pain pill. I generally can avoid taking any medication.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I also have some links for you, but you're not set up for PMs. :) There is a place that sells the guided imagery CDs that my therapist used as MP3s.
  • for my lower and mid back, with pain and stiffness issues, but when I shifted into muscle spassms and nerve pain with neuropathy (nerve compression from c-spine) the Tens was not good at all!

The Tens is off-limits to my shoulder, mid-back pain that further radiates neuropathy down my arm and hand all from the Cervical spine nerve root compression.

So, I suppose it depends on the nerve pain and the source and location!

Good for you in seeking other modes of pain relief...meditation and sounds like others have some links for you. Soft music with headphones in my recliner fully supporting me I find very helpful.

Wishing you well with getting some relief from those episodes of pain.

• Thank you to everyone. I'm going to make it so that I can receive private messages. I'm just at the point where it is SO HARD to be in this level of pain all of the time--having to work (be around people all day long-communicating, focusing, directing, etc.) so it's tough.

• its supposed to be the best if you are in the UK ..then you can have it for 30 days to see if its OK for you ..if not then send it back and you will get you money back ..i have arranged with acticare that all spine health members living outside the UK will get longer to try the unit .its also an external spinal cord stimulator .its a very well made bit of kit and well worth a look see acticare for more info .
This discussion has been closed.