Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Osteoarthritis/Arthritis relief...

TTLCTTTLC Posts: 876
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Arthritis, Osteoarthritis
Happy Friday to you! :H

For those of you who suffer with Osteoarthritis swelling and pain, I wanted to share that I have been taking a prescription called Etodolac for 6 weeks.

This Etodolac has been working quite well on my inflammation and pain in my fingers, knees, ankles, feet, elbows and hips.

Each morning, just opening one of my prescription pill bottles has been quite painful due to the tremendous swelling and pain in my fingers. Making that first morning walk to the powder room has always a challendge, as my knees, feet and ankles have been very swollen and sore since my fall. Not to mention, my hips.

When my Physiatrist who performs my nerve blocks and hip injections noticed how swollen my joints were, she decided to have me try the Etodolac to see if I would get some relief from the pain and swelling in my joints. It took about 2 weeks for the Etodolac to "build up" in my system and during that time, the only side-effect I noticed was some intestinal gas. You also need to take this medication with food, to avoid stomach upset.

Since I have been on the Etodolac for 6 weeks now, I no longer wake up with the pain and extreme swelling in my fingers. There is still "some" swelling in my fingers and joints, but it has truly been cut in half. My first morning walk has become less painful, due to this medication reducing the pain and swelling in my knees and ankles.

Etodolac is in the NSAID family. I was taking Advil prior to Etodolac to help my arthritis swelling and pain, but I no longer need to take Advil. I have had less stomach pain since switching to Etodolac.

I am prescribed 400mg tablets, which I take twice a day. Once in the morning with a banana and once in the afternoon with my protein shake.

I just wanted to share this with those of you who suffer with Osteoarthritis/Arthritis pain and swelling. If you could share the positive results you heard from "a friend" of yours who was prescribed this medication for her OS pain, I hope your doctors would be willing to let you give it a try? Again, it does take a few weeks for it to build-up in your system... but the end result for me has been a blessing.

Wishing everyone a good weekend,

• You are a lucky girl! I can no longer take NSAIDS at all due to my chronic gastritis :( And my joints are so sore these days, I also can barely open a pill bottle!

• I really can relate to that gastritis you experience. The Advil I was taking was really hurting my stomach and I absolutely dreaded the times I had to take the Advil.

I can honestly say that with this Etodolac, as long as you take it with say a banana, a PBJ or a bowl of healthy cereal... I have had zero tummy upset. Only the spell of some intestinal gas during the first couple of weeks.

I have a terrible time with nausea. When my pain spikes and my break-thru meds don't take effect fast enough... I have to take a Phenergan suppository or else I will throw-up from the pain. My ribs are so very painful all day long, so if I wind up throwing-up... I am in tears from aggravating my core muscles and inflaming my ribs even more. Such a terrible cycle to battle with.

I know, first hand, what you go through in trying to open up those pill bottles. I wish there was some way to figure out how you could get relief from this Etodolac, without causing your gastritis to flare. This medication has worked so very well for me and I want to "share" the relief with others who suffer with the terrible arthritis pain and swelling.

I take a supplement called Florify, which is the equivalent of eating 10 cups of yogurt. It improves our nutrient uptake and fortifies the digestive tract with healthy flora. Would be happy to give you the website if you are interested in taking this to help your gastritis. I was able to get off my peptic ulcer medication 5 years ago, by taking this supplement.

*Sigh*... it's frustrating when we run into roadblocks like this!

Wishing you a good day,

Tammy :)

• Yes, frustrating is right! I doubt my doctor would allow me on etodolac, though, for several reasons, the major one being the tummy stuff. Sigh.

Because as you've noticed, opiates do diddly squat for arthritis pain! I'm dying for some motrin here, and just can't take any! In your pre-chronic pain days, would you ever have thought you'd have a bottle full of morphine and be craving motrin?

Ah, for the days when there was no kind of pain that a vicodin couldn't relieve!

• I would not have been able to comprehend being on such a tremendous amount of daily medications, particularly strong narcotics!

If I was sore from a good hiking weekend or had muscle strain from a pilates work-out, Advil with 3 cups of coffee did the trick. I have always been into taking supplements and drinking chai tea (and other teas), but this world of strong narcotics and the rest of my medications is an entirely different world for me! I have slowly adjusted to this both mentally and physically, but wow... never would have imagined being in the shape I am in now.

Speaking of teas... do you ever drink chamomile or peppermint teas for your tummy? These teas are excellent for your tummy and I sweeten mine with honey. Chai tea rocks... always have a good supply of that in the house and my kids love it.

• Yep, I am a tea-o-holic! I have been drinking chammomile since my grandma gave it to me as a kid. Sleepytime tea is a mixture of chammomile and mint, and is nice on the tummy!

But right now what helps is 60 mg/day of Prevacid. All the chammomile in the world wasn't working for my poor tummy :(
  • That's good you're having pain relief and less swelling! Thanks for sharing about Etodolac. I wonder if it may help with pain from DDD in m back? I take Voltaran right now and don''t know what it does and may see what my Dr. thinks f this medication. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Voltaren is similar, it is diclofenac.
  • I had one PM doc tell me to stop taking Motrin and start taking Limbrel (for inflammation/ osteoarthritis). Limbrel is technically a "food" supplement, not a medication.

My new physiatrist just told me to stop taking Limbrel and start taking Celebrex. I read the entire pamphlet from my pharmacist. OMG it is scary!
    I took Celebrex for a few days after arthritic foot surgery and it really helped. I'm just afraid of all of the potentially life-threatening side effects. I can scarcely imagine the people behind the numbers. Real people died during clinical trials -- I just can't comprehend that.

Anyhow, I'm going to try whatever my doctor tells me to try. If it doesn't go well, I just learned of another option. Thanks, Tammy!!

Take Care,
This discussion has been closed.