Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SSD renewal date

tarheelgirlttarheelgirl Posts: 473
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Health Insurance Issues
Hi, for those of you who have been on SSD for a while...I have a statement about being "insured by SS act thru a centain date"...is that when I am up for renewel? If so, it's just a little over two years away. Is this normal? Or is it b/c of my diagnoses, they feel I "possibly" may get better although my doctor made it quite clear that would not happen. Is it b/c of my age?

Anyway, is it easy to get reapproved? I imagine they would need another functional capacity report filled out from the doctor? Just curious

• Hi Tarheelgal

That insured status date is basically the date you NEED to be found disabled. In other words, if your insured dates were through October 2010 (just for instance) you needed to be found disabled before October 2010 in order to qualify. When you were working and paying into SSA, it covered you period for period. Based on the date you stopped working and paying SSA - you are only covered "for disability purposes" until the actual date in your statement.

BUT, as long as you are found to be disabled before that date, there are no worries. The only thing that will stop your benefits is if your condition has medically improved to the point you are able to sustain substantial gainful activity (an 8 hour day, or 40 hour week). Which is what everyone really wants - to be able to perform the way we did before we began having all these problems...

Good luck and best wishes!

• Jeaux for that answer...I was really wondering about that. As much as I miss nursing and the challenging job I used to have, I know I'll never be able to do it again. It's sad to me that my parents paid for me to go to college to get a 4 year degree and now I feel it's wasted as I can't use it. Now all I can do is draw SSD. :( Don't get me wrong, I am very thankful for this that I am able to be approved for SSD...but I feel bad not being able to work ever again. It's something very hard to swallow. I've had a very very early retirement.

Thanks also for the PM...I appreciate all your knowledge...I do have kids. I have a 7 year old, 2 nine yo's and I have 2 step sons that I'm not sure if they will qualify. We have 98% custody of them. They are 12 and 18. I wonder if I will just get the family max benefit? I haven't received any info about the payment stuff yet. Don't know when that will come.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    That sentence always confuses people. They tell you that you are approved then tell you your "insured through date". You only need to know that date if you are considering applying or haven't worked in a while and wonder if you'll qualify for SS. Once you've started the application process and then been approved that date should be left off of the letters.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • just for being in the app process of SSD, how do you know so much? lol..you must read everything!

I think I figured that out what you said about the insured date...it just means that since I stopped working, that I needed to apply for benefits by that date, right?

But, I've read my papers again and again and again and can't find anywhere where it says I will be reviewed. It doesn't give me a timeframe at all. I don't know if it will say in another set of papers...like when I gfet my explanation of benefits or whatever??
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Not every SSDI approval letter has the anticipated review date included. There are no guidelines as to who will have this date on the letter and who wont. Some of the inconsistencies in SSDI are that it's a federal program but administered at the state level. Thus decisions, timeliness, letter, etc all differ. 2 people in the same state with the same diagnosis which disables them can get 2 different letters.

And, in actuality, there is no way to know when SS will actually do the review. Sometimes it says 36 months and the person may go 5 years or more before hearing any more from SS.

As for the knowledge, my last 15 years of work were all in STD, LTD, and FMLA claims. First in claims, then slaims management, and then in Account Management (where I worked directly with the employers purchasing STD, LTD and Life insurance for their employees.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Oh, (shaking head), I see why you know so much!
    That's a good thing when going thru this process...I have another quesswtion for ya...but need to decide where to post it...
  • this is the best place to post this question. Part of this comes from me not being patient enough I know. But, 1-2 weeks ago I recieved my Notice of Decision...It was written by my judge about my testimony and conditions and when and why I was found disabled. So, I've been waiting for my Explanation of benefits to come any day and I check my account every day.

Well yesterday, I got something in the mail from local SSA office!!!! Yay I hurried inside and plopped on my bed, got comfy and got ready to read. Well, all it was was another copy of my Notice of Decision...just from a different department it appears!!! I was so disappointed!!

Is this normal to recieve two of these and shouldn't I get my Explanation of benefits next to explain my monthly benefit and my back pay and such? I guess I just want everytthing on my time and that's NOW after waiting 2 1/2 years to get approved!!! Sorry for the rant...just wondering.
  • when I was approved my back pay award was actually deposited into my account before I received the letter with my Explanation of Benefits. It did come shortly thereafter. It seemed odd to me also. I guess keep checking your account to see if an EFT has been posted or wait for the letter. It happened to my husband the same way. So don't be surprised if the funds go in first and letter to follow.