Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Muscle Spasms Help?!?

tractxttractx Posts: 29
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have had ramdom muscle spasms since this whole ordeal with my back began in'02. Now though, it has come on like crazy especially in the evening time. Since they have started in earnest they have been concentrated in my legs mostly in my lower leg from ankle to knee but ocasionally in my thigh. They are to rapid and random to be anything I'm doing subconsciously. Some of them you can see and feel with your hand but a lot of them you can't.
My questions are; 1. Is this normal? 2. Has anyone else experienced this 3. Is it something I should be overly concerned with 4. Is it something to concern my Dr. with.

It is usually not painful except when it trigers a charlie horse ( severe cramp in the large calf mulsce) those can be excruciatingly painful.

Any advice or information would be appreciated.

• I get muscle spasms and fasciculations From the compressed nerve in my back. I take Flexeril and Cymbalta and oxycontin that helps with them but my leg tremors all the time and twitches constantly and when my Doctor put her hand on my calf she could feel it. I can even see my calf moving also some days are worse than others. If I walk too much I get the night time charlie horse. It helps to drink lots of water and yes I would mention it to your Dr. to see how he can help you. That's my experience anyway and hope it eases up for you especially hope it disappears when you have your surgery. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hiya :D , welcome to spine health >:D< , i suffered quite bad at one point and the doctor prescibed quinine :? , they did help! If you experience any change to your condition, it is worth mentioning to the doctor :D

Angie :H
  • Do you take any statins such as Lipitor? I have muscle fasciculations (twitching and contractions) in my legs below the knee and down to my toes 24x7. Earlier this year, the cramps had increased to an unacceptable level. My PM Doctor had my PCP run a muscle enzyme test and my numbers came up high. I have since stopped taking Lipitor and the cramps aren't as bad as they were.

• Hi Tractx,

I had similar spasming combined w/ electric 'jolts' of pain, no rhyme or reason to the pattern, but it did tend to worsen at night. My S1 nerve root was 'smushed' and I had some central canal/ foraminal/lateral recess stenonsis @ L4-5, L5-S1. Moist heat (heating pad or soaking in the tub) & massage sometimes helped. Within days of my fusion, I found the symptoms were lessening and I got full relief at about the 2-3 month mark. It couldn't hurt to talk about it w/ the doc IMO, hope this helps, please keep us posted.

• It does help alot. You know the latest thing is as I draw closer to the date of my surgery (1 week from tomorow) the more scared I become.
  • Hey back,

Being scared is normal, you've found a good place here, we all know what it means to travel the 'spiney' road. Try to distract yourself in the coming week, have you taken a look at the sticky about what you may need after the surgery to make it a little easier? Lots of good suggestions on how to set up your home, etc - 'busy' work like this can sometimes take your mind off things.

TC, hope today is better for you,

• have you told the doc I use valium works wonders and help you sleep