Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical fusion return to work

angelt8aangelt8 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I will be having a cervical fusion on c4-c5 next month. How long should I anticipate being off work? Articles I have read differ greatly. So I was hoping for experienced feedback. Thanks.
advertisement

Comments

• Since we all heal at different rates, that is a very hard question to answer. Additional to that, is what kind of work due you do? When I had my first fusion, I was allowed back to work at the 6 week mark, but light duty only for an additional 6 weeks. My next level, 8 weeks out initially, then as problems kept coming up, 4 more weeks, then light duty until my retirement came through - I was no way going back to my much loved job/career.

I've seen some on here go back to sedentary jobs in 2-3 weeks....see, it all depends. So your research of so many different times, that is why. Most plan for 6 weeks.

I see you are new here. Welcome to Spine Health! Another thing that might be of help? There is a search box on the top of the web page - that might yield a more informational source for you. :)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • angelt8,

I had C5-C7 fused. I went back to work after 4 weeks. I’m in construction but spend most of my time behind a desk or in the car. I could have gone back at two or three weeks but the neck brace prevented me from driving. My pain had subsided to an acceptable level by 2 weeks or so, but your results may vary. Good Luck

Chris
  • I also had 5-7 fused.

Took one full week off, spent second week working from home part-time, and was back at my desk job in week 3. Had to get a ride to/from work due to neck brace and no driving.

Job doesnt require any lifting, just computer and phone.