Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

happyHBmomhhappyHBmom Posts: 2,070
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Chronic Pain
Well, yesterday my neurosurgeon's office cancelled my appointment and can't reschedule until the end of October. He will, apparently, be away for the entire month.

So just watch me crumple into a dejected heap of painfully pathetic human, who kind of wishes people wouldn't promise her an end to all of this and then keep moving it off like a carrot on a stick.

The only good news is that I have an appointment with another PM doctor next week. Hopefully we can develop some play by which I become a little more human, not a pretty well drugged up but still in a lot of pain... something or other.

• Sorry to hear that they keep dragging the carrot away just before you have a chance to grab it. Hope you can focus on PM between now and the end of October. Things happen for a reason and most times we don't know what that reason is until after it has come and gone.

Stay strong,

• I hope the PM has something for you. Just keep your mind occupied to keep busy, and try not to think of the negative stuff. Is there another surgeon you can get a referral to, or is this one that you have chosen because you've already seen a couple? Hang in there!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Sorry to hear that , as one who has been there its not nice , but things happen for a reason , hang on in there xx
  • Sorry *** >:D< ***

Sounds like BS to me! Some times it is better to get angry let out the emotion and then the acceptance comes with the calmness.

I remember my last fusion- my insurance had denied it at first (as usual) when I could get back on the book my NS decided to take a family vacation to Hawaii (first one in 16 years)... Then I had to get back on the schedule took another month after he got back.... Yeah that was a lesson in pateince.

I hope the PM works some magic for you :)

• See there is a reason. Time to go shopping for the carpet :)
  • I waffle back and forth between another surgeon. I do believe I should be concerned about this and what it means if I have issues after surgery. I don't think I should run off to another surgeon just because of a month or two delay- I mean, if this guy is the best surgeon, I shouldn't mind (and he does have a good reputation). He does a LOT of surgeries, and is hard to get in to see- I get that. It is not that uncommon.

I'm assuming that scheduling for problems after surgery is a different process. I hope. If it's not, well...

If I went to another surgeon, and found one who is easier to get in to see, it would be one who does fewer surgeries. Is that what I want? If I was getting a standard single level fusion, maybe I could choose a bit of convenience. But when it goes to the really complex and less common surgeries, there are only a few surgeons who do them very often, and this is one of them.

Practice makes perfect, right?

Sigh. So what do I do to keep my mind off of it when right now I feel like I can't do anything?

• Carpet- I have to get the exterior painted and new windows in first. I just don't have any energy! But, yes, that's the reason- I need to get the house winterized.
  • Oh, and Smokey is eating my carpet by not selling :(
  • "Been there done that."

LOOK! There's still a light at the end of the tunnel. It's dimmer but it's there. It may be us just holding the flash light for now but it's there.

Hang on! Keep your eye on it!
  • and I think that if you have 100 per cent faith in your surgeon, then stick with him/her, especially if your planned surgery is a complicated case. Better to wait for the best (I'm certainly pleased that I did).

My own surgery was delayed by a month. Yeah, I was anxious about it and felt totally let down. So I phoned his secretary and was told he had to fly home urgently as his father was taken ill. I was so wrapped up in my own life that I didn't give a thought to how professional people also go through stuff they cannot plan for in advance.

While he was there, his father sadly passed away. I felt awful and totally selfish. In the big scheme of things, me having to wait another month was nothing.

2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • In the scheme of things, it seems like it has been 100 years since I first called for an appointment with him. But it was really only July. I got my tests in the beginning of September. So I think it's not outside of the norm for busy surgeons. (is it?).

And I'm not dying. I just hate waiting for appointments, especially when I already HAD one, for goodness sake!

My kids are just anxious and want my surgery in time for our annual Big Bear Trip to go on in January. All I have to do is be able to sit in a car for 3 hours. That's all. Sigh.
  • Sorry to hear you were bumped a month. I agree with others in that this surgeon is the one you have complete faith in, so stick with him. I had one that bumped me 2 weeks for a family emergency. Stinks, but like was said, they are people too, and people with families and issues...like us. :) Did they give you a specific date on this reschedule?

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Yes, I am rescheduled to October 28th.
  • Most excellent HB!! Glad to see that the tunnel is still there, and the glimmer of light will brighten day by day! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I would stick it out for the more experienced surgeon for sure! Although waiting is torture. I've taken up cross-stitching recently myself. I can do it while laying down, with the tv on in the background. I also play on-line scrabble with my grandma (she's so amazing, almost 90 and is on facebook, LOL) She's confined to a wheelchair after going through a triple by pass, and 3 hip replacements, so doesn't get around much either. There's also a site, lumosity.com, that has all different types of little "brain games" that help with concentration, memory, spacial recognition, etc that I use as well. They're just little short games, and are fun, and help to keep your mind occupied as well as training it!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I'm so glad I got this laptop for my birthday, I would be really lost without it. I am seriously unable to sit for longer than a few minutes now. I got a little laptop table for bed so I can even play warcraft (although it gets uncomfortable after a while too).

I really should be walking around the block every day though. I think I'd feel better. I've not been pushing myself much thinking surgery was right around the corner, but now I guess I am going to have to replace my riding with some less enjoyable form of exercise.
  • I understand about the laptop. My hubby bought me one right before my lumbar surgery so I could come to SH while I was in the hospital.

I'm sorry you're surgery was pushed back, but really it's not too far away. I believe, as I've said many, many times here, that having 100% confidence in your surgeon is so important. So I'm glad you've chosen to wait for the one you've found to have so much trust in. I would've waited for mine for as long as he asked. In fact, I tried to have mine by the end of 2009, but so did everyone else because we had all met our deductibles, but I had to wait until January.

So, I did something that may or may not have been stupid - knowing I was going to have lumbar surgery, I raked the entire backyard one day while hubby was at work. It hurt like the dickens, but I figured if I hurt myself further, he could just fix it while he was in there. I don't suggest that to anyone else, but it was on my mind and made the decision to do it against even my better judgement.

Can you remind me again why they feel your surgery is going to be very difficult? Sorry for the brain furt, I just don't remember.

Take care and hang in there. The big day will be here before you know it and then you'll be on to recovery.

• I hope the time flies...hopefully they will have a cancellation.. are you on the cancellation list? >:D<

I just had to say, as far as the light at the end of the tunnel goes, for me the light I see is usually a speeding train! I always have to WATCHOUT!! :jawdrop:

So, I hope you got a laugh out of that!!
    I know for sure that is not what is going on with you. I just got my first appointment with my new PM dr scheduled yesterday and it's for November 4th...lol Talk about a waiting period. ugghh! oh well.. what cha gonna do?? Me, I'm just gonna hang out here and try to make yall laugh..lol

This discussion has been closed.