Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How much work did you miss when you had your SCS implanted?

elephantseelephants Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
I am considering the SCS but am concerned about time off work. I've heard I would need to take a couple of months off and I can't afford to. How long did people really need to take off? Thank you.

• I took two weeks off from work after getting my implant last year. I work a desk job and could have easily gone back after 1 week but took the extra week. My wife was ready for me to go back to work and I was going nuts and driving her nuts in the process.

• I took three weeks, only because I had to fly 7667 miles to get home and wanted to be comfortable traveling. If I had had surgery in my home area, I would have gone back to work as soon as the staples came out.

• My surgeon did not release me to go back to work for a month, believe it or not, but her issue was not my being in the office, but hauling my laptop and files back and forth from the office to the house, which I would have wanted to do.
    I just set up at home and used my laptop and cell phone (forwarded the office phone to my cell) and pretty much kept up and did the occasional outside appointment with customers. I'm lucky that I have a job that allowed me to do that. I just didn't go to my office unless I had mail. I ended up being away from the office for six weeks total, simultaneous with being allowed to bend, lift and twist again. I found the lifting/bending/twisting rules to be much tougher after the SCS surgery than with my disc surgery two years ago.
  • I didn't have any staples, by the way. I guess my incisions were sutured underneath the skin, then glued closed. That might be one more reason she was so careful with the timing of everything. She did clear me to travel by airplane five weeks after my surgery, though.
  • I was off for 5-6 weeks, My PM had not problem with me going back to work at 2 weeks, if I was just going to stand around, say run a cash register or similar.
    Since my job would have been restricted to pretty much desk work he flat out refused to release me.

With a cervical precutaneous lead he did not want me looking up and down and side to side doing "desk work".
    He told me to go for walks and watch TV and sleep...

It was boring, but my lead has stayed pretty stable so I guess in the end it was worth the wait.

Talk to your doctor and get specific!
    What kind of lead?
    Where is it going?
    Where is the ipg going?
    Can I climb stairs?

Be as specific as you can.
    If you have decided on specific IPG spot and he agrees, make him SIGN THE SPOT before the surgery!

I did not and ended up with it where I don't like it or want it, but lawyers said basically, "no harm, no foul". Yes, I was that upset, I checked into it. He said I could probably make them move it! Uh, no thanks.

Anyway, every case and every doctor varies as to what exactly they will and will not want you doing.
    We can only relate our experiences and some hearsay.

Hope things work out for you!