Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I need help !!!

TWHladyinLVTTWHladyinLV Posts: 47
I have had numbness in my genital area for the past several months following a back injury. Mine is a W C case. I was referred back to the spine surgeon who did my neck and back surgeries. I am not having total loss with bladder and bowel, so they brushed it off.
Now I have leaking issues, but have trouble emptying my bladder. When I woke up this morning the skin around the urethra feels painful when pressed. Surface of skin still is numb, but it's like I still have feeling inside. I do not know if now I have a bladder infection ? I have never had one before! Should I go to the Quick care? Or wait to call the surgeon back on Monday?
Also, my surgeon thinks my symptoms are from MS, he wants me to get tested. My MRI shows that I still have nerve impingement at the levels that I had surgery to correct last year, but now the surgeon says he cannot do anything more for me? I get the feeling he thinks I'm lying about my symptoms! Now I don't trust him anymore to do what is necessary to help me! What do I do?

• As I am no dr. or professional I still can see without a doubt you need to see someone. Do you have a Primary Care Physician? You may want to start there as if it is a bladder infect you can get that ruled out right away and get the proper meds to treat it. If you find their is no bladder infection then I would for sure be calling the surgeon on Monday. You stated this is a WC case so do they have to approve everything you do medically?
    If you feel your surgeon is not giving you adequate care and doesn't believe you then their is a trust issue and that is not good for you. Alot of people are mis-diagnosed with MS and that would take the heat off the WC people as you would then have an unrelated disease rather than the injury which was claimed. This is very upsetting and my heart goes out to you. You should not have to be going through all of this. Obviously your MRI is not lying. If at all possible and this is just my suggestion can you get a 2nd opinion or as I stated is this controlled by WC. Sounds like you are in a vicious cycle where WC is controlling you and that is wrong.
    Your health is a priority so definately whatever it takes get to a dr who can properly assess this situation with no bias.
    Be sure to keep us posted.
  • I have an appointment with my PCP doctor on Tuesday. Do you think i should just wait ?
  • if you do not have a fever and its a bladder infection, you could wait until Monday. I think you should call when the office opens in the morning and see if they can get you in for a "sick" appt and cancel your Tues appt with this issue. Most doc offices save a few appts a day for morning calls for sick appts and I believe you qualify. Are you burning when you pee and do you have urgentcy to go? Those are signs of infection. Also sometimes there is a different odor too.

As for not having feeling on your skin...hmmm...I wonder if it's nerve damage? But aI'm no doctor so I can not tell you that...only your doctor can.

As for not trusting your NS...that sucks. Are you able to get another opinion since its WC or do you have to go to their docs? Can you ask to change to another? I[m sorry...b/c MRI's don't lie and I hate he is trying to put another diagnosis on you if it;s not true...are they going to test you for MS? I think it's fairly a bit easier to get SSD for MS cases, plus throw in your spine problems.

I'm sorry you are going thru this.
  • I would go to quick care and get it checked out to see what's causing your symptoms. If it's a bladder infection it can be uncomfortable and wouldn't wait so long. The Dr. would be able to make an assessment of your symptoms and treat accordingly especially if these are new symptoms. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Retention is a serious issue. Please get it checked out soon as you can. I would not wait considering you have had the pain/numbness and other spinal problems going along with it.

I did develope a bladder infection after my PLIF surgery (2 months out). I couldn't pee more than a drop at a time. It hurt my abdomen/bladder area. I was sent to urgent care (phone call to PCP).

Either way- I think you should see some one.

• I went to my PCP doctor yesterday with a slew of things to discuss. He is the only MD here in LV so far that actually listens. I explained to him what was going on with the other MD's. We agreed I should see a Neuro doc to rule out MS, but not the Neuro doc who did my ECG tests.
    I went to the lab and gave them a urine sample to test for bladder infection. Have not gotten any results back.
    The Neuro doc actually said on his report that I got a copy of, that he did the resting AND other parts of the tests that I researched are normally done, but is untrue as I was there and he did not do. So it's my word against his? I think my Ortho Spine doc no longer believes my symptoms are from my back injury any more and I don't know how to be more emphatic.
    I told this to my attorney and asked about the case manager I was supposed to get during my case? I don't think I would be getting the brush-off from these MDs if I had another witness there. I take my husband with mw whenever possible but he travels most every week. It really sucks to realize all the people who really fake WC injuries to

get money destroy the system for those of us who have legitimate claims.. I have put in a request to change to a different MD for my back injury to try and find one who is more empathetic.
  • I finally got a definite diagnosis for Narcolepsy. Whith medication I now feel more alert during the day and don't pass out like I used to. I have had this sleep disorder for years but never realized what it was. I was forced to work a swing shift for the past 14 months (or be let go), and it screwed up my sleep/awake cycle so much that I was only getting 1-2 hours of sleep at night, even with Ambien, etc., I was getting to the suicidal stage. I think my employer may try to force me back on nights if I am able to go back to work full duty, so this diagnosis may help to get me back on day shift which is what I was hired to work anyway. I told my super I get physically sick working graves, and he did not care. I had a sleep study done last June (before my back injury) and it showed I only got stage 1 & 2 sleep, no 3,4 or REM at all during the whole 8 hour ordeal. The reporting MD said I was very likely Narcoleptic since I also have in-voluntary trance-like stages during the day.
  • Well the referrals have been put in for my brain MRI, to see a Neurologist of my choosing and my Atty has put in a request for a second opinion on the back issues. Maybe this one will actually look at my MRIs before making a diagnosis.
    I only have till the 19th till my LOA runs out at work. After that I will be let go with a medical separation. My only other chance to keep my job is to lie about being able to do all the lifting, standing, walking for 10 hour shifts or to try and file a request for an accommodation through the ADA. I got the paperwork and have to get my doc to fill it out. It depends on what the MD says really that determines what you get or not. Either way I can still get let go, but at least the ADA borrows me a little more time to get in to the Neuro MD and get the MRI done. I am really stressed because if I loose my job there goes my house and my husbands job too since his employer doesn't keep anyone who's credit isn't spotless due to security reasons.
    I am going to start trying to find buyers for my 2 horses, my trailer, all the tack, etc., then I'll start selling all the collectibles and art I have that is worth anything.