Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lower Shoulder Blade pain - What's up with that???

Aviatrix36440Aviatrix36440 Posts: 5,904
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Okay, watched TV, played with kitties, otherwise, nothing abnormal for my normal activities. Most of my issues (short of re-herniation) have been to the right, so.... Why am I having such pain all of a sudden to my "bottom" of my right shoulder blade. Da&& it hurts! It is like the standard ice pick stab, and even borrowing my hubby to try and massage that area, forget that! Megga pain there! Here it is 05:30, and I am normally asleep, not tonight!!! Grrr...ouch!

I hope so much when I do get to sleep, I will wake and this is history! It hurts like...well, I can't describe. I am not a happy digit right now, ice-picking, stabbing, ridiculous !!! Thanks for listening, I am NOT a happy digit right now...grr... I also, don't want to take drugs (Darvocet) since I had a couple of beers - not a good mix. Thanks all... Sorry this hurts like a mother...thanks for listening. :)

Hoping to snooze soon......

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.

• My nerve pain that affects my arm and hand has always originated in my shoulder blade, no matter what side was hurting. My SCS will not touch that pain either. I'm sorry you have a new ailment and hopefully it isn't related to your other issues and will go away as quickly as it came.
  • Thanks Honeysmom,

If I have my head tilted forward, or to the right, the pain shoots through the roof. Any other position it lessons, so something happened. I usually give it about a week to be sure it isn't a flair, but ouch!

I stayed in bed most of the day. Compared to this morning, I can see some improvement, but grrrr... I've popped on here a few times today to read and post, and if I sit indian style, it isn't too bad. After I log off, I lay down for a bit, and sneak back on. And like you, pretty much all my neck nerve issues involve my lovely shoulder blades. Funny how that works huh? Thanks again Honeysmom. I hope you're having a pain free or reduced day. *HUGZ*

• L1/L2 facet arthropathy?

I know it sounds weird, but when I had my facet radiofrequency rhizotomy and he zapped the nerve at L1 or L2 (can't remember which), it totally went right to where I'd been having that stabbing pain right under my shoulder blade.

And afterward, it was gone until a couple of weeks ago.

Why would a facet nerve down there have referred pain way up there? I don't know. To make little girls ask questions?

(p.s. I have another link to an article from the same journal as the one I posted earlier that said facet joint pain causes a high percentage of back pain)
  • HB,

You're right, the human body never read 'the nerve book' so who knows right? I know I have issues at L2/3/4, but hey, I am open to anything. I have discovered that my head/neck position is directly affecting how much it hurts, so it's probably a zing around that crack or something. I just wish I had a bloodly clue what I did this time! (G)

Could you please PM me that additional link? Thanks in advance HB, and too on another perspective to think about in so far as referred pain locations. Nothing would surprise me anymore. :)

• Brenda,

Gosh, those sudden intense body pains they sure can keep giving us a jolt can't they!

With the sudden onset and intensity you describe, sure sounds like cervical / brachial plexus branch is reacting!

Hey, Spiney Twin, with our C-Spine 5 down into T-Spine our neuropath-ways are quite activated and those places of crossing over our junction areas, scapular, shoulder, ribs... I never thought I'd be so acquainted with the neuro of my body as I have this past year (C-Spine T-Spine compression) and sharing the journey with other spiney's :)

Sorry you're a being jolted now with that right shoulder blade pain - - is there are any relief as you do R & R it? (and for us that is not playing with our fur-kids (arghhhhh)

Brenda, amazing but I do get some relief with the neurontin and C-collar (rigid Philadelphia and laying in 3/4 recline in recliner) ohhh and some great soft r & r music.... and not on computer until it is consistently better (no ergonomic challenge).

Here's a GRRRRRR - - ARGGGGHHHHHhhhhhhh noise with you!! :)

Sure hope it's de-activating and not intensif--- I won't say it... here's some (((gentle))) :)

• Howdy Janelle! :)

If I take a deep breath it still hurts, but the constant burn "regular breathing" seems to be settling down a bit. I've also split my time sitting and laying down, so that seems to have helped a LOT!

What I hate more than 'flares' is when you have NO clue what the devil caused it! Sure, we all do things knowing tomorrow we will "pay" for it, but doing nothing out of the ordinary... Grrr... I think it all ties to the movement of the C6 vertebra. Sigh...

*HUGZ* back to ya Janelle, thanks! :)

• Wow - listening to all of you is like hearing me talk!
    My shoulder blade (rt) started burning (little spot) and my wrist (ft) a couple yrs ago. My Dr, Chiro, Physio, Massage therapist all missed the warning signs... Feb 2010 it felt like someone doused me with Gas and lit me up - electrocution feelings, knifing, popping - it's almost a yr now - still everyday - I awake feeling good -altho spending all night on my Lt side which is now starting to ache - and get worse through the day -sitting, typing - kill me - I'm 37 - I'm trying everything I can , short of surgery -I wont do that if no one knows what's happening - and am currently taking myself self off the shitty med's - If I'm gonna hurt I'm gonna do it with a good liver ;)

I'm currently trying Bowen Therapy - Then TENS - then...lol..until I figure this out - I'm paying out of pocket for most treatments - how come we can't ask for our money back :)
  • Howdy Nervepain, and Welcome to Spine Health! Unfortunately certain nerve issues are common with us, so we can compare and feel more normal if there is a normal anymore. There is a lot of knowledge on this site between its members and the medical (doctor) written articles.

What you might want to do is introduce yourself in the New Member Introductions area, and too start a thread with your questions. That way they aren't mixed in an existing thread. Might work out better for ya, and too faster answers may be yielded that way. Again, welcome aboard!! :)

• I have that burning ache in my left blade alot Brenda. What has helped me is ICE. I'm sorry your under the weather....and your pain eases up.
  • Thanks much Cgm,

It's actually a lot better. The continual burn backed off. Now I have this occasional feel like someone is pushing their knuckle into the bottom of the blade, but way better than that bloody burn feeling! I had this really bad the first time when my C6/7 level went. I am suspecting that since there are issues with my last fusion, that is why I have this again - but it issss bunches better. :)

• I'm glad your getting better! I wonder what's it from?

• LisaRachel said:
    I'm glad your getting better! I wonder what's it from?

I'm 99% sure it's my lower part of my neck. There is movement in my C6 vertebra, so I am guessing it goes in flares where I did something or turned in some manner that sets it off. Thats my guess at this point.

Thanks Lisa!! Glad to see you're coming along as well. Gentle *HUGZ* :)

• ljhlljh Posts: 10
    edited 05/13/2014 - 2:50 AM
    My shoulder blade pain originates from arthritic facet joints in my neck. Radio Frequency Ablation has taken care of it for as long as 2 years at a time.