Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What muscle relaxers are best and hat pain Meds

Butterflye18BButterflye18 Posts: 20
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Okay, My surgery is on the 13th of October and I have been reading that it is important to have a good muscle relaxer, so I want to know which one? I also want to know what pain meds worked well(in Hospital). I Can't do Dilaudid OMG i thought i was dying when they gave me that last year, could not breath..so that one is out and Morphine gave me serious itching on my head and body ~X( but doc said he can give me anti itch meds).I'm thinking Demerol will that help? I would like to know what worked for most people.

I am really worried about the pain that I am facing. 4 level laminoplasty c3-c7. Also how long is the scar because my NS said about 5 to 6 inches. And how long is hospital
stay? My Ns also said I might need anterior Discectomy after this, did anyone who had Laminoplasty had to do Discectomy also? I mean is it likely that I will need to have that also? I am so freaking nervous about all of this.

Sorry for all the questions :( :SS :''(

• You really need to talk to your doctor more about the meds before surgery. Just before your surgery you will meet the anesthesiologist and can talk to them about your concerns.

As far as procedures that depends on your specific problem. I had a microdiscectomy, foranotomy and laminectomy all at once at one level. Depending on what they need to get to will determine what they do. Basically it's all the same, removing material, but refer to the part they are working on.

There are some great videos that show how it is done. Check those out. Also if you look through the posts in the surgery section I'm sure you will find more info.

Good Luck. The 13th will be here before you know it. THere is also a great list in that section on how to prepare for surgery and recovery.
  • On muscle relaxers, there's really no "perfect one" for everybody - unfortunately it comes down to trial and error (usually its surgeons' preference). Options out there: flexeril (cyclobenzaprene), baclofen, tizanidine (Xanaflex), Skelaxin, carisoprodol. Rarely, some docs will use benzo's like valium or clonazepam as a muscle relaxer.
    On morphine causing itching- it doesn't always mean true allergy; I believe many narcotics can have the same effect by causing mast cells to release their granules. But if you had trouble breathing from Dilaudid that may be a big trouble sign of a true allergy, you might want to call your surgeon and let him/her know NOW (as in ASAP) about past reaction so if they need to set you up with an allergist you will have time. I would make sure that Dilaudid is on your allergy wristband when you check in to hospital.
  • Okay, thanks I will look into it :)
  • Neither morphine nor Dilaudid are muscle relaxers, but maybe you already know that. I'm just 6 days post-op lumbar laminectomy/fusion and am on Robaxin. It's what was used in the hospital and it seems to work quite well. I only take it every 6 hours so by the time the next dose is getting near my muscles are starting to ache. I write down every dose of oxy (4 hrs) and Robaxin (6 hrs) that I take and the time I've taken it and decided I'd save myself a little work by coordinating the doses when I could. Just realized this morning that was a mistake because twice a day my system is low on BOTH my pain med and my muscle relaxer and it takes a good deal longer to build the pain control back up. Will be changing the schedule today so that never happens again! :>

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled