Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Social Security and thanks to all of you!!!

Monica LynnMMonica Lynn Posts: 43
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am on to my hearing on Social Security Claim (that should take 2 to 10 years right?). I even have my own doctors saying I am disabled. Of course, that is not even considered. So...the family and I continue to suffer financial losses and reconstruction of our lives. However, in the midst of going belly up, while my cervical fusion hurts all the time, and my donor bones are getting way tired of hurting and we both dislike our situation. To be honest, my donor bones and I are not friends!!!! Lil Humor, have to have it to survive. I want to say thank you to everyone that has posted and helped me through this situation. It has been a blessing and a help to know I am not alone. At 46 years old, I thought I would still be running, working, and having a great life. My life now is underconstruction and I am learning to do things w/o much use of my neck, but so are so many of you. So thank you so much for sharing with me and seeing hope, even if life won't be the same.
Smiles to all and each of you are in my prayers and we journey through this. -Monica

• Howdy yourself!!

Sorry to hear you are still hurting. I do like how you describe your new you... "reconstruction" "under-construction", neat! Sense of humor, you got that right! Without it, whew, we would be mental wrecks for sure! "Donor bones", I like that descriptive too, kind of better than "dead people bones" hehehehe

48 here, but had issues since I crashed. They started needing fixing 5 years ago - I delayed surgery, boy that was dumb on my part! (G) Yeah, funny how we thought we would be doing this or that at this age. Oh well...life goes on. *HUGZ* Keep your sense of humor Monica. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • It is the hardest road I have traveled, gravel is all in my heals on this journey! I had cervical fusion on c4-c7, I am platted, screwed, bolted, caged, and donored up!!!! I hurt daily, now I have high blood pressure, take a pill for that, I take neurontin, tramadol, and tizandine. I can't sit over 15 or 20 minutes, then I stand, then I lay down. I have 10% turn to the left and about 30% to the right. I didn't have a choice on the surgery, no waiting, no considering. My spinal cord was compressed and I have nerve damage on the right side. ALL of this happened because I thought I could help my spouse pick up our very large deceased lab. The neck blew and life changed in one minute.
  • Monica,

It only takes one wrong turn, lift, hell, even a yawn to toss a neck! My husband tells me that I signed the wrong warranty! I got a kick out of that. :) As you can see on my avatar, I'm presently 2 levels a little over a year apart. Sometime within a year or less they are going to have to go back in, remove everything including the 'donor bones' and maybe a vertebra (C6), re-fuse them and add C7/T1. Makes me so happy - NOT! (G) My C2/3 is more concern to me though.

For a while I was bummed over the prospect Monica, but like you, can't change what has already happened, so I let my sense of huuummm-mooore come back! In years in law enforcement (retired now), we would crack some pretty baaaaddd jokes at morbid scenes...why? To knock the stress down, and be able to deal with the situation at hand. It's amazing how I can now apply that to my crappy spine. Looks like you've discovered that too! *HUGZ* Good for you. :)

Like you I have nerve damage down the right arm, and have now developed neuropathy (nerve damage) in that arm and both legs. Use a cane now, but thanks to a member on here "Tarheelgirl", she had a thread about canes and our egos, and now my cane and I get along great, and they are pretty canes!! One with a leopard pattern, the other with little flowers. :) I've yet to have a 'negative' response from people with it (which was one of my initial concerns). So, what's that phrase, when life gives you lemons, make lemon aid! Yum-yum!!!

• awww, thanks sweetie pie Brenda! I am glad I was able to help you take those first few steps with your 'pretty' canes! I still don't have a pretty one...just a plain black, but I have my eye on a pink one....so that's it...not trying to hijack Monica's thread!

Monica, how did your hearing go? was it today? I'm anxious to hear how it went and how you felt it went. Did they happen to give you a decision on the spot? Most do not, but I've heard it occasionally happening. I'm sorry to hear about all the pain and discomfort after fusion and all (loved the donor bone joke btw)...I hope you conveyed your limitations to the judge and got up and down as you do normally. It's best to show your normal self, honestly rather than sitting thru a 30-45 minute hearing when your medical records say you can't sit or stand for 'x' amount of time. Please keep us updated and let us know how it went. It sounds like you really deserve SSD and I certainly know how it is to lose a 2nd income that was crucial to keep things running. We lost our house, a car and had to file bankruptcy...also had to have food assitance for about 9 months. So it's so hard and I pray you get your benefits soon. Most cases are won at the hearing level and being close to 50 will be in your favor.

Best wishes to you and hope for comfy-ness (not a word, I know!)
  • =)) No hearing yet, just getting to that point. I am in Texas the atty said it could take 6 to 10 months. I pray for their mercy!!!! I hear you on losing house, and etc.....I am so learning patiences. I concur w/Brenda, we must keep that humor because it helps us deal with this stuff. I make believe my donor bones belong to Conway Twitty or Princess Diana. I am sure they are awesome bones, but as I stated we don't get along. Wonder if the insurance would pay for couseling for us??? LOL :))( :''(
  • Monica,

You are a riot!!!! :)

Hopefully your hearing will come sooner rather than later. I get so mad with SS sometimes, cuz it's like they NEED one to go below the poverty level before they help! Grrr... Fingers crossed for a quick date Monica!! :)

• monica, sorry to hear about your ordeal first off the neck issues,your lab-- i also have a lab,my condolences,the disability thing is a long road to travel,keep your head up, go to your dr-constantly, you will get it. it's one big headache. i've been there.i wish you the best of luck.
  • oh thanks so much, yeppers its a long haul. My dad was a truck driver, so I feel like I am on one his long hauls and just exhausted. Just need to get one more load of faith, cover it with grace. :)
  • Hi Monica,
    I'm still waiting too, it's been two years. I had my court date set in March of this year. I showed up for court but my Attorney did not, the judge issued a continuence in my case. I moved from New Mexico to Texas in 09 so that may have affected it.I was denied the first time because SS felt that my condition would not last the entire year even though i needed surgery since 08. I HAD to return to work because i have no income or health insurance and my family CANNOT pay my bills rent/carpaments.I have a sednetary job but because of yet another injury i am not able to sit or stand for more than 30 minutes any longer the burning and aching pain sets in my neck and does'nt stop. It is SO FRUSTRATING because people with these types of conditions need to take care of ourselves but we NEED an income to do that. SS does'nt seem to care Sorry i'm venting!!!I feel i may become paralized before i'm approved to get my $500.00.Anyway i know what you are going through and i wish you the best!
  • O:) Welcome to TEXAS!!!!! I understand your frustration. I have hope it won't be too much longer for either one of us to have our hearing. I understand the not sitting or standing long periods of time. Again, a little frustrating.

I wish you the very best in the "spiney journey"! :)
  • Wow a simple yawn to to toss your neck! Mine was a cough at age 47 and I thought that was strange.
    Monica,did you get denied right away for SSD?
  • I was denied very quickly on my first claim, which is totally normal. Then I was on the re-consideration, again normal. The same people are actually looking at your case. Now, it is awaiting a hearing. I was surprised, none of my additional information (medical records) were not in the re-consideration. I am in hopes the hearing is not too far off, but it could be...you just never know.

Just don't give up!!!!!! Smiles
  • Bethy,

I was a year and a month out. I was sitting at the kitchen table enjoying a nice long stretch and yawn. The hubby was to my left, asked me a question, I was still yawning when I turn to look at him, and solid pop and my right arm lost feeling and strength triceps down the forearm and into my index and middle fingers - then searing pain down through my shoulder blade and upper arm. All that took 15 minutes to manifest! Bummer huh?

• Monica Lynn said:
    I was denied very quickly on my first claim, which is totally normal. Then I was on the re-consideration, again normal. The same people are actually looking at your case. Now, it is awaiting a hearing. Just don't give up!!!!!! Smiles
    Hi Monica:

I got to the 'waiting for hearing' level. It was at this level when I received a letter from Social Security that I was finally approved. I had a lawyer from the 'get go'!

So far I've had a cervical laminectomy (2 yrs ago) and a lumbar laminectomy (this past May). Neither surgeries really relieved enough pain. The lumbar actually resulted in a great deal more pain in my lower back.

My neurosurgeon, for an encore, wants to removed to discs from my neck, put in donor bone and titanium plate and screws. I too will soon have 'scrap metal' value! Yay!

I do wish you all the best, however! I hope you have lasting relief soon!