Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

About Me

paulnnppaulnn Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Lower Back Pain
I have been a chronic back pain sufferer for about 3 years. In that time I have had the following:

Massage, Heat/Cold, muscle relaxers, pain meds, 18 various shots in the back, 6 nerve cauterizations,Physical Therapy, standard x-rays, MRI, Discogram, CT, Flouroscopy, Anterior L5/S1 Fusion, more physical therapy, pain meds.

My condition right now, according to my pain journal is a constant 7 on the pain scale. There is never a time, even for a few minutes that I am pain free. The surgery was in January of this year,this stopped the leg pain, did very little for the back, pain is now escalating again. Cannot sit for more than 10 minutes, cannot stand for more than 10 minutes, cannot walk more than a hundred yards or so, all dependent on how bad the pain is on any particular day. My primary mentioned the pain clinic again, oohhhh no! It is really not a pain clinic, it is a shot clinic. Doc there prescribes no meds, just does lumbar injections. Instead of pain clinic it should be called "The Marquee DeSade Torture Chamber." My primary wants to get me off the opiates, he has lessened the dose to 5/500 of lortab, twice a day. Needless to say this is not working. He also has me on Lyrica, Amytriptilene, Celexa. Cannot sleep so he gave me Temazepam. Was on Ambien but BCBS will not pay for that any more. Various muscle relaxers.

This is soooo depressing. I had to take three breaks from sitting while writing this. If I can help anybody I will be glad to offer some experiential advise. I am in the medical field but am not a MD.

• you're still suffering back pain after trying so many different treatments, medications; culminating in fusion surgery. There are many posts on this forum from people in similar situations. For me personnally, I see fusions as the ultimate solution, when all else has failed and to read that it hasn't worked for quite a few people is so disheartening. To go through all that and not have pain relief at the end is just awful. I'm praying that, if I follow doctors orders, my fusion will be successful - only time will tell.

I don't have any answers - but suffice to say, you're not alone!

Have you had any second/third opinions?
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • Welcome to Spine Health. Sorry to hear about your troubles, many here are in similar situations.

This site is loaded with information. Get familiar with the search function and the various thread topics and you will likley find some ideas.

Can you get a second opinion as Sue suggested. Maybe a Neurologist is in order- instead of your PCP to handle your back issues? My NS isn't comfortable continuing with my meds so he's reffered me to PM.

The Pain Manager that I am seeing this week has a host of MD's in his clinic incuding a Neurologist (I actually have seen her in the past).

All pain doctors are not the same, while some only want to do injection others do meds or a combination fo meds, and procedures. Maybe you want to look for a different PM clinic?

Hang in there >:D<

• Please don't misunderstand me. What I mean is some reading and books about both the knowledge of sex physiology and sexual health care.
    Spam link removed by authority member Neck of Steel (Cindy)
This discussion has been closed.