Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Got my explanation of benefits?

tarheelgirlttarheelgirl Posts: 473
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Health Insurance Issues
It didn't have that title, but it did break down when my benefits are for...that they start in May 09 although I was deemed disabled Nov 08...I guess that 5 month waiting period. I wish there was no waiting period. They told me my monthly payment and that my first would be for Oct, but I'd get it the 10th of Nov and then I get Nov check on the 2nd Wed...which is my day every month. They also gave me my amount of back pay..nice lump sum, but none will really be mine. $6000 goes to the attorney, then I'll tithe on it and then the rest should be my mom's b/c we have had to borrow 20k from her the past two years. I'm completely thankful I got enough to pay her back, but wanted a little to keep (selfish, I guess). They did not mention my kids benefits at all, so I would assume, once I get them signed up (think I have to appear in person with them and provide birth cert), my monthly payment will increase and I will get another bit of back pay. Does that sound right to you...those who collected for children? I'm not sure at what point I need to take care of this part...guess I will call tomorrow and ask some questions.

• Have you thought about giving to your church in another way? Tithe is not necessarily about money but giving of yourself to others (of your time, food, volunteering, etc). That would help your family and I am sure your church would understand since I am sure they wish they could have helped you financially.

• so, I finally got up the nerve to csll SSA today...don't know why I was afraid of them! hehehe...I guess b/c my attorney told me to never talk to them while they were representing me.

anyway, i asked about the benefits for my kids and she set up an appt for the end of oct...i have to take in birth cert and social sec. cards for all. I asked what she knew about step childrenn and she did not know (he lives with us98% of time and has autism)..she said to just bring his stuff too. So I guess I'll see when i get there that day. I think it's supposed to act like "child support"...and from what I've read, you need to keep reciepts just in case they aask what you've spent their money on. It makes sense. I could probably put their money toward our food budget and be safe! They all eat like pigs! I know, they are growing...so I guess its normal...none are overweight...two are actually boney...they didn't get their mom's figure :)
  • anyone get benefits for children with their SSD benefits? I'd love to know more about this. I'me really nervous about this part. I was also sent a letter in the mail yesterday that stated that I have a phone interview coming up regarding SSI that I applied for earlier in the year by the recomemdation of my attorney...I really don't think I will qualify for it now...I think at one point I may have, but not now. The letter seemed kinda harsh...guess I don't have a good picture in my head of SSA. oh well...it will be nice when I don't have to deal with them much...I still have not been told how often I will come up for review, so I guess I will ask that question when I'm on the phone or go in person for my kids' benefits. The lady on the phone adted surprised I had 4 kids under 18 and well under...not getting ready to turn 18 soon or anything.
  • Yes, In Pa they are given half of what you get until they are graduated from high school up to age 19.
  • When i applied SS asked me who had custody of our daughter, she is 17 y/o.
    I told them we have joint custody, but on her school records and her medical records i'm down as the guardian parent.
    So they told me i will also get for my daughter, i just dont know for how long tho.
  • Thank you both for your replies. I have heard something about half before...so if I do collect for all my kids, I'll just max out at my family max amount. I have also heard blazer that SS for kids depends on which parent's address is used for their school...which would be mine. I do have a slight majority...but it's stated as joint...so I have no idea how it will work. I also have no idea how it works for my one step son who is 12 that we have almost full custody of. It will be interesting to see how this all will play out when i go in.

i had my phone appt today about ssi. Basically i don't qualify with my ssd amount now, but i may from the time i applied in April until now. However, if i recieved ssi backpay, then i don't recieve ssd backpay for that time...so it's basically a wash. The only benefit it could have had for me is if i had a lot of outstanding medical bills from April to now...they could apply medicaid and take care of them. But, i've been insured, so i said i did not want to pursue applying for ssi...it didn't make sense, which she agreed. She said my backpay was held up until this matter was resolved and that she was calling the payment center and having them release my backpay now.

so, that is it so far...i'll let you all know what they say about my kids on the 27th.
  • That would be good if they can apply medicare toward your outstanding balances.
    But which ever way works best for you and your family.
    With my daughter all the records for her show my address.
    And i'm listed as the I.C.E. for anything regarding her at school.
  • yes, I'm listed first contact for my kids at school if that is what you mean and we use my address for their placement in school...I hope that is how it goes. the SSI could have applied "medicaid" for my outstanding bills from the time i applied in April up until now b/c I no longer qualify for SSI with my SSD payments. Now, with SSD, Since November 08 was when they deemed me disabled, I will be eligable for medicare this november which will be so nice and again, save my hubby more money b/c he'll be able to cancel my policy and just get a bridge policy for alot less. I know i have to pay for part B...and will pay for the medications part D. As far as anything else, I have no idea what else about medicare!! I really need to research and read up on it!
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    In most cases the child benefit is 1/2 of your benefit. So if your SS is $1000 per month you get $500 per month TOTAL for children. If you have 2 children at first it would be $250 per child. When the eldest ages out and no longer qualifies then the remaining child's benefit is $500 per month.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Thank you. Would you happen to know til what age also.
    I believe i read until 19 y/o.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    ssa.gov is a good site for information on your benefits and that of children.

ssa.gov says you may get benefits for your:

*Your unmarried child, including an adopted child, or, in some cases, a stepchild or grandchild. The child must be younger than age 18 or younger than 19 if in elementary or secondary school full time; and
    *Your unmarried child, age 18 or older, if he or she has a disability that started before age 22. (The child’s disability also must meet the definition of disability for adults).
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I think I am understanding it better. so, my 4 kids will get half of my monthly payment? You know on your SS statement that comes each year? It has a family maximum...how would anyone get to that amount. I was assuming, only b/c my attorney mentioned my "family benefit amount" that my kids would get "X" amount for each and then I'd end up maxing out to my family maximum benefit? But, If i get half of what I get for my 3 or 4 kids, then I will not quite get there....but I'm happy with what I am recieving...much better than no paycheck for 3 years! I'll take it, even if it was just my amount. I'm so thankful for it.
  • for my back pay. My hubby is hopeful that it comes before Thanksgiving b/c he wants to go shopping black Friday for Christmas...and his job is a bit slow right now. [sigh] It'll come, I know.