Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ekg and blood work done surgery in 5 days

johnb3207jjohnb3207 Posts: 99
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello all well had EKG blood drawn and fitted in my back brace. so 5 days oct 14th 8am I will have my L4 L5 fusion
done wow time sure fly's now lol hope the recovery fly's this fast.looking forward to about 2 weeks after it is all over
guess you all can tell I am getting a bit nervous huh.
will post more after it is all done all have a great day

• Well, you're one step closer to your fusion. I've had a fusion at L4/5 so I understand the nerves and how scary it is to be finally working up to the big day.

During these two weeks, make sure you get your "station" ready - the place where you'll be most comfortable and have everything ready there like a place for your laptop, drinks, snacks, pills, etc.

I found my recliner with extra pillows on the back to push me forward the best and I have a rolling table next to it that can hold my laptop, can be rolled in front of me to eat, can hold my drink, etc. Some of the other important things to have ready are a toilet seat riser, grabbers, a shower stool and either satin sheets or satin pajamas for getting out of bed (by log rolling, of course). You might need a walker, but some get along fine without it. I was good for a week or so, then needed one or I couldn't have walked.

I also hope you're going to have someone with you the first couple of weeks to take care of you as things are a bit difficult in the first few weeks and it's a great feeling to be able to have someone to be there and help when necessary.

As for time flying, it really did, as all life seems to do now that I'm over 40. Before you know it you'll be making your first post-op post and then telling us you're three months out and fusion is starting to show. Then you'll be telling us you won a golf tournament. Well, that might be pushing it, but I know you'll do well.

Take care of yourself, get everything ready and have as much fun as you can before the big day.

Feel free to PM me if there's anything I can do for you and if you have any questions.

• Yep Cathie My room is ready I prepped it 2 weeks ago lol bag is packed picked up my walker 3 days ago and hav a cane
    and all my foods mostly soup and pudding for first week or so ...I do not have a raised toilet and hope I will not need one..my fiances mother lives with us she has stage 2 alzteimers and we have companions come sit with her everyday which they are wonderful and they said they would help me if need be and fiance will be home with me for 3 days ...and we have one of those chairs that lift you up out of and reclines so I think I will try this out as well .... 8}
  • Howdy! I'll send you positive energy for your upcoming surgery. Nervous? Sure we can see that. As they say "Been there, done that"... :) At least we now know you're normal! *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • hubby found the raised toilet seat to be the most essential. He thought he would not need one but I did insist and actually rented one for a month. It was well worth it.
    Good luck in your surgery.
  • Thanks B I did talk myself into one I ordered one off amazon it will be here wed so surgery is thurs
    so good to go thanks again
  • It won't be long now and you'll be on the other side of this scary surgery. I am 11 days post-op 2-level lumbar fusion and doing very well--much better than I expected to be doing. I hope it works that way for you, too. :)

Glad to hear you ordered a raised toilet seat. You won't be sorry for that investment, I guarantee it. Also, if you don't already have a good grabber, that's another must in my book. I got the Unger Nifty Nabber (51") from Amazon and it paid for itself ($18) the first day I was home. Dropped my cane 4 times and several other things. I use it multiple times a day and am so glad I made this moderate investment. It will be perfect for grabbing things off the top shelf of my cupboards after I'm all recovered. An all-around good investment.

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Yey I am glad I ordered the seat also and I think I am going uptown today and getting a grabber as well
    That is awesome that you are doing this well I like to hear that.Yey I hope I do as well as you ..3 DAYS
    :W Thanks again Linda