Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What might this be?

MissADCMMissADC Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello, everyone! I'm very new on here, 1st post but have beem scoping the site out for a couple weeks now. I have an appt coming up soon to be referred out to be seen for the pain in my back, which also is associated with left leg numbness/pain and muscle twitching. Now, the pain has intensely spread to my neck, causing me dizziness/lightheadedness along with it. It's to the point where I want to cry and it's beginning to hit my left shoulder. Anyone able to relate? It's effecting my quality of life and causing me a lot of depression. I want to sleep all the time. I'm not normally that way. I have three children to watch for, aged (in order of birth) 6, 4, and 2. I'm barely going to be 25 next month. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, God bless you!

• Hi there! I can relate to everything your feeling. There are so many possibilities when it comes to the spine that it wouldn't be wise to guess at what is wrong with you. Were you in any accidents recently?

I can offer you some solutions to help you with your pain in both areas b/c I have had surgery on my neck and back.

Use a heating pad at home in your favorite chair and bed. Buy a soft cervical collar at any pharmacy and wear that when you get that feeling in your neck. I wear mine often it supports the spine and if there is a herniated disc it will help reduce pain.

If you can take anti inflammatories that will help reduce swelling which will lower your pain level too. But ask your doctor first. anti inflams need a week to build up in your system and need to be taken every day to do any good.

Aqua Therepy is great for back and neck pain too. Hot tubs work well too if you can use one. In a pool get to the deep end so the water reaches your neck and all your pain will decrease b/c all the fluid in your disks will float relieving some pain.
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • Hi,
    Thank you for replying. I'm in immense pain right now in my entire back, neck and left leg. I want to vomit from the pain...I'll try the suggestions you've openly made to me, thank you and God bless!!!!!!!!
  • Indee,

First off, Welcome to Spine Health!! There is a search box at the top of the web page that might help you with searches for "pain in the cervical spine", things like that. :)

Do you know "how" you hurt your neck? Sorry to hear you are hurting, been there, done that, have the shirt! Have you tried alternating Hot and Cold? The heating pads will help with blood flow, and the cold to reduce swelling. Many times when we have bone or disk issues, they cause muscle spasms. This also happens when our nerves are irritated and over react, again spasms. Also, have you tried various ways to sit for relief? E.g. recliners, propped (or not) up in bed, sleeping flat, on your side?

Since you have an appointment coming up. It might be a good idea to keep a "pain log". This way you can show your physician when you hurt, what causes pain, relieves it etc. Certain pain actually tells the doctor a LOT. Just a thought. Again, Welcome aboard!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • When your back starts to hurt...it can cause you to walk differently, sit differently...and hold your body differently in different actions....so then that puts stress on your spine causing muscles further up your back and neck to react...and even a small weakness in other areas can flare up...causing pain and swelling around those nerves....you need to break that cycle of pain ...I would see a doctor to get something for spasms and pain...get treated for a week or two...it may all go away....even if it doesn't...the real problem area will probably be the only spot left hurting....then the doctor can focus on finding out what is the cause.