Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Straker update {12 OCT }

strakerstraker Posts: 1,851
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Chronic Pain
its been a long time coming folks but in less than 24 hours i will find out the results of my discography and more importantly ..when and what i am having done in hospital .from what i learned last time i was in hospital it looks like a 3 level 360 fusion but i can't confirm that yet ,i will post tomorrow ,thank you to everyone that's contacted me asking about me .i thought that if i posted on the public site everyone that's interested would know .i will let you know tomorrow when i know whats going on.i wont lie to you i am worried and excited at the same time ,,i have hopes of being almost pain free {IN TIME[]as i know the first few months will be no fun at all .thank for everyone that contacted me like sue /Scott.and many more i value your support more than you will know ..pain is a very lonely disease and many don't understand how it effects us ..so thanks again to all that genuinely care .

• But you beat me to it. I really hope it all goes well tomorrow and that Mr S can recommend surgery that will give you a much better quality of life and, hopefully, with much less pain!

I've just got back from work (after only working 3 hours this morning) and I feel like s**t! Although they have provided a chair, it's not comfortable so I spend most of the time in the classroom standing up (which doesn't help). It's so difficult trying to help young children with their writing skills WITHOUT bending over all the time. I cannot go 'down on my haunches' (or whatever the expression is) 'cos I cannot get up again - I have no strength in my legs to do that. So, after only 3 hours work (on a phased return), I have come straight home and will be going straight to bed to relieve back pain - once again!

I know you have said before Tony that you feel I'm going back to work too soon, but I don't have a choice. I still haven't had a 'back to work' interview yet and therefore haven't had an opportunity yet to discuss any 'reasonable adjustments' with my Manager. I have 10 points I wish to discuss with her urgently (and before I resume full days from next week). I'm so disappointed! I can't do much more - I've emailed her twice in the last 3-4 weeks and just have to wait until she can spare the time. My main concern at the moment is going from 4 half days (this week) to four FULL days (next week). How can I do full days when I cannot sit on anything comfortable and when I find 3 hours is more than enough - well, today anyway. Tomorrow might be much better, I do hope so!

I'm really sorry to have a moan on your thread here, but I'm angry/frustrated/in pain and feeling sorry for myself.

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow Tony - I'm sure you will up-date this page because there are alot of people on Spine-Health watching your progress.

I know how you can be nervous and excited at the same time - I totally understand that because that's how I felt when I got my discogram results. You just pray that they can do something to ease your pain, whilst at the same time, worry sick about what could happen during surgery and what the recovery process will be like. It's only natural.

You take good care of yourself and keep swimming whenever you can - that'll help to improve your core strength in readiness for any surgery that might be suggested. I know you've got total faith in Mr S and I think, that, with a positive attitude can only help your chances of hopefully achieving a successful outcome (if surgery is recommended for you).

One step at a time.
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • I will be praying for you tomorrow and the ultimate outcome. I remember awaiting news like this strangely odd anticipation mixed with nerves, fright and side of uncertainty!
    best of luck, I really hope your pain free days are approaching!

• on what you will be finding out with tomorrow's consult. I know this is a stressful time for you so I won't be long winded here. Just know that you and Kath are in my prayers. I do hope you will have the outcome you have been searching for. You so deserve a bright future. But whatever tomorrow brings just know that we are all here for you.
    Good luck and keep us posted. You are truly special to all of us as ou have given so much of yourself to help many of us when you have been so down yourself.
  • Tony, so glad that your long wait is nearly over. Will be awaiting your news tomorrow, and hoping it is everything you need and want it to be--that surgery will give you a chance at a better quality of life. :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • I just want to go in and add "successful" before 360 fusion in your post ;)

• I will also be thinking of you tomorrow as you find out what the 'plan' is.

The mixture of nerves and excitement is totally understandable. It is scarey (especially if you will be having surgery), but on the other hand, it is exciting to think that there is a way to deal with your severe spinal problems and get some improvement and be in a position where you can get back to a better life.

We'll be here, waiting to hear how you get on. :-)
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I wish you all the luck tomorrow and pray that you will finally get the relief that you deserve. Ill be thinking about you until you post again. Good luck
  • I'm thinking of you for tomorrow and hope it's clear what you need to have done and most of all that your Surgeon says "Yes I can help you" Prayers friend. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Tony, I hope you get some long awaited answers and hopefully something can be done to help you. Good Luck, Beth
  • Fingers crossed for you darlin! Hopefully tomorrow will be the answers and solution you've been seeking for so long! Remember, "light at the end of the tunnel." :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • When I read that you had hopes of being(almost) pain free in time I wanted to do back flips(if I was able) It has been a long hard journey for you and all of us here gotten to know you and luv you and your lovely Kath!
    Yes, chronic pain is a lonely illness but we are all here for you. If we could we would all be right there beside you.
    YES...please do keep us updated. We all want to know how things are going for you. You have been here for all of us and we want to be here for you.
    Your friend
    Patsy W
  • Good luck tomorrow, I hope they have the answers that you need, and need to hear!! Try to rest tonight, and keep us posted for sure, we're all rootin' for ya!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • thanks sue .and its nice toy hear from you too pasty {i thought we have lost you!} i am a little nervous as one would be facing a rather big surgery with an uncertain outcome even tho my 5 has deemed me as high risk he believes its still worth if ..so ..not long nose about 14 hours ! kath is taking me and then she is off to yet another meeting .i will update as and when i have some information .once again thank you to you all
  • good luck tomorrow! hope all goes well for you! Jenny :)
  • Good Luck Tony >:D< >:D< >:D<

Angie :H
  • best wishes buddy...I hope your appt goes well tomorrow and that they scedule you very soon...I am really hoping for much relief for you.
  • You have really been patient, Tony...Much luck!!!
  • >:D< Good luck and I am sending you big warm hugs and best of wishes.Cant wait to read your post.

• Wow- what support you have from so many SH members! Like so many others, I am hoping to hear how your appointment goes, and hope it goes well! Good luck!

• A three-level 360 is NOT fun, but I'm living proof that it can get you your life back. I hope your outcome is as good as mine.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    It is tomorrow over there in UK. But I'm crossing my fingers for you and will say a special prayer for you. I hope you can finally get the answers that you so badly need. And yes, it is a lonely place in the land of pain!
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Like Jim pointed out, it is 'tomorrow' in your time. I am soooo hoping when I wake up, you have a date, and good news. *HUGZ* I know you are nervous, and too excited, fingers crossed Tony!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Looks like there are a few of us waiting to hear you are ok!
  • hi straker

hoping today goes well and you achieve the expected. i'll be checking back here regularly today for your update, have everything crossed for you.

carol x
    L5/s1 discectomy & decompression 2009
    ALIF l5/s1 2011
    Awaiting X-ray & consultant to see if fused, but experiencing a lot of pain again :( 2013
  • Hope it all goes to plan and you get the answers you are looking for.
    Keeping fingers and toes crossed for you!

Peggy x
  • and all the best with your results today. I am fairly new to this forum and have been following your journey.I am currently awaiting fusion, you are so helpful to others as you yourself are going through a tough time. Wishing you the best in your journey to become painfree
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • right folks here is it
    went to the hospital today {12 oct} saw mr 5 and he had decided to do a L4/L5/S1 360 fusion i will be opened up from my pubic bone to just under my rib cage then flipped over and opened up along the original scar to finish of the job .i am having a specially built titanium cage fitted from the front and rods and end plated and screws to hold it all together .i ask him whats is called ?? he said in my case its not a conventional operation as he will be doing stuff as he goes along {ie its not the normal fusion } due to the nature of my spine and all is previous damage due to poor surgery and arthritis .he will have to rebuild my spine as well as he can ..the operation will last around 7 hours and my stay in hospital will be up to 9 days .i will wake up in ITU then high dependency then in a private room .he want me to stop smoking but understands that if i can't {then i can't. he smokes him self ] i am going to do my utmost to STOP he also want me to loose 2 stone but again as i am not major over weight he will still operate if i can't {he understands that the weight has gone on because i can't exercise ..but again i am going to do as much as i can to loose some weight .today was a wake up call and i feel that its 541T or bust and this is my last chance to reduce pain ..i have been told that recovery will be hard and long and i am not to expect miracles .if i can walk around ADSA and sleep for more than 3 hours a night and be able to cut down on the medication {after the operation i will need more painkillers] but after that he is hoping for a reduction of around half ..he has told me that leading a normal life is out of the question and i should bear this in mind and should not have unrealistic ideas of what surgery can do for me ..the object of surgery {in my case }is to sure up the spine and stop any more degeneration if there's any significant pain reduction ..then that's a bonus ..all in all ..its been a tough morning and i got a bit emotional the staff were lovely and very kind but at the end of the day it made me realise just how bad i am ..i have to go for more test 2 weeks before i am admitted .{i had many test today } i should be going in within 3 /5 months ..yes months not weeks ..that's just the way it is over here ..thanks for all your support if i have any more news i will post
    tony x
  • This day has finally come for you, Tony, the day that you know you'll have surgery and what the expectations are for recovery and long-term post-op.

I'm very happy that you've finally got a plan. I know it's going to be a long row to hoe, but just think that maybe in a year or year and a half, you won't be in your recliner all day long. You might just be out living your life and only having to give us occasional updates.

Good luck on your additional testing and as always, please keep us updated as thing progress.

Nice going, Tony.
  • Tony its fantastic that you finally have an answer, even if it is a bit scary. We, spineys, are the only people who welcome surgery - lol.

Focus on the surgery. Now you have a mission to lose some weight and at least cut back on the smoking. You have done so much I'm sure you can do this too. Those months will fly by now.

Sounds like your surgeon is being honest with you...and you were listening. It's alot to hear about yourself and your future. Do you have anyone to talk to about it? Maybe a minister or a councelor? It's so hard to accept the new normal but acceptance lets you get on with life.

• to put the impending operation to the back of my mind that's how i want to deal with it ,meanwhile i will throw myself into getting slimmer and fitter .as i know that this will improve my chance of a good recovery
This discussion has been closed.