Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tomorrow is my 2 SCS trial date

DegenerativeShellyDDegenerativeShelly Posts: 279
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:47 AM in Chronic Pain
:SS :SS
Well everyone the time has nearly come for me to have my 2 SCS trials..Wednesday at 12.30pm I have to be at the hospital and Im nervous and anxious as to what the outcome is going to be..

One SCS is going up the whole length of my spine and the other one is going across my lumbar region.

I will let you know how it goes once Im home...They said its more than likely I will have to stay in hospital until the leads are removed on Sunday.

Shelly
advertisement

Comments

• My thoughts and prayers will be with you Shelly.
    Patsy W >:D<
  • Thank you so much Pat for your lovely thoughts and hugs, it means a lot to me that I have people on this site that truly care and fully understand what we all go thru daily with our pain.

Shelly.xx
  • I certainly hope for the best results and the least pain.

Wrambler
  • Thinking about you, Shelly, as you are having this implant inserted, and hoping for top notch pain relief! >:D<
    Linda

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Good Luck Lady!! I hope you get excellent coverage and relief!!

Tell "dem" to give you good helps!! ;) Take care until you can be here to tell us all about it!

Left you a pm in case I got confusiled with the time difference and "spine-health" time zone :D
  • And Im so anxious..More so as to the outcome of teh trials..

I cant thank everyone enough for their ongoing support and kind words from which I draw my strength to keep going with this never ending situation..

Shelly
  • I hope everything goes well and they get the right spots! Two SCS that's a lot. Pray you get some relief you deserve it after all the shots you've been through. Take care and sending positive vibes and prayer. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Holding you up in prayer and sending healing, calming thoughts your way. Soon this trial will be underway and I expect you'll do just fine.
    Linda

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Shelley, hope all goes well for you with the SCS procedures tommorow. Can understand your concerns for the outcome and that ultimately will brings you good relief!

p.s. Have much to learn with SCS and if it may need to be an option for me...even though not now.

Heart-thoughts and prayers that you'll be getting full benefits and that tommorow was worth it all - - with most if not all of your pain level gone!

Janelle
  • it will go well I'm sure and i pray you get the relief you seek and need.

take care
    AL S

• I've been thinking of you Shelly. :-)
    I hope that, now the surgery has been done, you are getting relief from the SCSs.

I will watch out to hear how it went and hopefully with good news that you will be able to have them fitted to really reduce your pain.

Take good care >:D<
  • Hoping you will post soon that all is going well with the scs implant. Thinking of you and hope you are doing allright.

Best wishes,

Lisa
  • I hope things went great and that you are feeling relief!!!! My prayers go out to you and hopes for a speedy outcome on your trial.
  • Shelly, I hope this day finds you feeling better. Am anxious to hear that your trials are going well and helping you. >:D<
    Linda

• To everyone for their lovely words of support and encouragement..Sorry it took me a while to post but I didnt get out of hospital till late last night and have not been feeling too good at all today..
    The Technician phoned me today and I told him that the bottom trial is going ok but the top is giving me hell and casuing me pain even on the lowest setting..We are meeting him at the hospital on Sunday so he can make some program changes..
    He also said its normal to get pain at the exact spot that they have placed the wires as when they place the wires in your thoracic area they have to be right in the places that cause you the pain..Didnt think it would be this bad though..If its still the same on Sunday and he cant do anything Im going to tell him that Im turning it off as its making my pain worse.They now are making me keep them in till next Wednesday to give it more of a chance. Maybe things will improve over the next few days, maybe its just worse because Im soo very tired from the 2 and a half hour operation..
    Im off to laydown now and once again cannot thankyou all enough for your support.xxx
  • Glad to hear that you are home again, but sorry that you are having so much pain in the lower trial.
    I do hope that things will improve over the weekend. It would be so good if these SCSs could give you the relief that you need so badly.

I'll keep thinking of you and will pray that things will improve. :-)

>:D< >:D<
  • I'm glad you are having some relief, but sorry that it isn't better and that you're having pain from the thoractic :(

Hopefully things will get better with some adjustments, and thaat giving it the extra time they're asking for will see you getting the relief you need!

Take care of you and rest! Let us know as you can how you are doing!
  • I'm glad you are having some relief, but sorry that it isn't better and that you're having pain from the thoracic :(

Hopefully things will get better with some adjustments, and thaat giving it the extra time they're asking for will see you getting the relief you need!

Take care of you and rest! Let us know as you can how you are doing!
  • :''( I cant thank you all enough for your ongoing support..The tears are due to my frustrationa nd pain at the thoracic trial..
    Im meeting the Technician at the Hospital tomorrow (Sunday here in Australia) so he can make progam changes to the thoracic one as it seems to be making the pain worse so hopefully it helps otherwise Im going to have to turn it off..

Will let you know what happens.
    Shelly.x
  • Praying for you, girl--you know that. Nothing more miserable than unrelenting pain. It just wears a person out.

From what you said earlier, the technician essentially said the pain was to be expected since they need that to know they hit the correct spot, right? But did he say how long this distressing pain should last? Surely it isn't something that they expect you to live with. The idea of the SCS is to hurt LESS, not more!
    Linda

• i hope all went well with the SCS and you are getting pain relief
    tx
  • :''( Met with the Tech at the Hospital this morning and he made some changes and added another program to the thoracic one...It has settled down a bit now but it still is causing me pain..He told me if its still the same tomorrow to turn it off and leave it off..

He said the pain I was going thru was due to the settings being wrong and needing adjusting again since I went home from the operation.

My Hubby and I are being realistic now and facing the more than likely outocme that the thoracic one is a failure and pain pump here I come.
    At least the lumbar one is still going ok which is better than nothing but Im going to make him put the permanent leads a bit closer to my right hip as Im getting severe moments of pain there still.. :W

Shelly.x
  • Shelly, I'm so sorry to hear of your continued pain and the probability that the thoracic SCS trial is a failure. Hang in there...I'm hoping there will be something to help you, even if it may not be the thoracic SCS. Don't know much about pain pumps but that sounds like a good option to me.

Sending you gentle hugs.
    Linda

• I hate to hear this bit of news. :''( I was so hoping for a better outcome. It sounds like you had the same outcome with the T spine SCS as I did with it on my low back pain.....it made the pain worse. Much worse...I had to leave that program turned off.
    I am sure you will have better luck with the pain pump. PM me if you have any questions about one and I will be happy to help.
    A big hug to you my friend. >:D<
    Patsy W
  • For their ongoing support...I will PM you Pat as I have a few ??? and dear Inchworm thank you for being there for me as always..

Today started off ok with the thoraic SCS and after an hour the pain set in and no matter what programs I changed it too it didnt help...In the end Ive now turned it off and it can stay off till it comes out Wednesday as its causing me more pain than without it...On a good note though, the lumbar one seems to be going well so they can sure put that one in on a permanent basis and I will probably now have to bite the bullet and get the pain pump..

Who knows till after Wednesday..
    Shelly.xx
  • My dear Shelly, if you have to look at a pain pump, then that's the way it is. It's a blessing that you still have one more alternative available to you. Whatever it takes to ease your pain is what needs to happen. A person can tolerate only so much chronic pain without falling apart. Keep courage and keep looking forward with hope. Your options aren't all used up yet!
    Linda

• No Shelly..as Inchworm said you still have the option of a pain pump for the T spine pain.
    I am so happy the Lumbar SCS is doing a good job for you. I know that is a big relief.
    I answered all your questions as best I could. Hope I have been helpfull.
    Hugsssss >:D<
    Patsy W
  • Sorry it is not working out for you. I would suggest you give it one last chance sometime on Tuesday just to be sure.

My cervical placement was tricky because I have dip in my T-spine where I fractured 3 end plates. It took two different approach sites (where the stick you in the skin). The first one he tried twice and it just plain HURT as he kept hitting bone. On the second site he got the lead placed.

With all that poking and prodding it took from a Wednesday placement till sometime Monday to really get my back calmed down enough to know it was working.

My trial ended up lasting 8 days. I'd say don't be in a hurry, since you can turn it off, give it another try or two.

I'm not saying it will work in the end. With the pain pump I gather one can pretty much cover both problems if they are associated with nerve damage at or near the spine? I really don't know that much about how far the pump will cover.

Here's to wishing you and all of us a less painful day, week, etc;

• ~X( Today was weird..I turned the top SCS off while I layed down this afternoon and when I woke up the lumbar area was hurting..I turned the top one back on and it seems to have eased my lumbar pain again..I am more than sure that the top lead goes down to around L3/4 and thats exactly around the area the pain was this afternoon...Im so confused with the results Im getting and now dont know if the bottom will be successful on its own so who knows??? I will be sure to let you know as soon as I get out of the Hospital on Thursday (Its Tuesday night here at the moment..
  • Dear Shelly,

I guess I don't understand why the thoracic SCS should extend so far down (L3-4) into your lumbar area. That doesn't leave much for the lumbar SCS to work on. Maybe I'm just confused (I know, that makes two of us! :/ )

You know I'll be thinking about you and praying that the right thing is done with both of your stimulator trials.
    Linda

advertisement
This discussion has been closed.