Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Twitching Leg and Toes

urluckypennyuurluckypenny Posts: 22
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

Im having pain run down my buttocks/hip area to my inner thigh and to my calf and foot. The pain is a radiating, throbing, sharp, needles pain and is constant all day. If I walk throughout the house it makes it flare up even worse, I can take a pain medication and it still really doesnt go away. The doc does have me on gabapentin ( a nerve ending medication) and hasnt helped this week at all. I do have a EMG and a NCS scheduled for Friday m has anyone had a EMG or NCS? Im wondering if anyone has had this pain and what was the outcome. Ive been trying to do research and see if this is a form of nerve damage, Im 12 months after surgery. You can read an earlier post to see my issues with the surgery.

• Also I forgot to mention that all my issues above is with my left leg, as I set in my recliner my leg twitches/jerks on its own. My leg will twitch along with my toes, this doesnt happen once or twice, it's happening several times an hour.
  • Hiya, Welcome to spine health >:D< Firstly, sorry you have this pain. One of the problems i have is the pain you descibe ~X( . What they are doing is taking a closer look at the nerves, just to see whats happening :? When are you having the tests done? what surgery did you have done? :?

Angie :H
  • Sorry you are experiencing these problems. I had the twitching from about 3 months to 8 months post op. It seemed to only happen when my legs were relaxed. I was given calcium/magnesium from 2 doctors to take and it did help somewhat, maybe it will help you too? You have to gradually increase the amount you take because it causes diarrhea.

The EMG/NCS is a pretty easy test. I have hip pain but the drs don't know what it is.

Good luck with the test, hope they can figure out what is causing your pain!

• Im having the test October 15th..a EMG and NCS. Last october 15th 2009 I had a L5-S1 fusion...the pain is in my left hip area to the inner part of thigh...it then goes down my inner leg to my foot area... Ive done many google searches and after speaking to doctor doing the test on friday and the injuection know theres a L4 nerve that runs in this area.
  • I hate to hear your issues but glad Im not the only one with them. Im 12 months out and this really just started 2 weeks ago, and starts when my legs are relaxed in chair. It tingles and burnes as soon as I get out of bed and start walking around the house. My surgeon has given me gabapentin for nerve pain and started out at 200mg three times a day, then went to 400mg and now 600mg three times a day. This has helped it somewhat...well see Friday?? I know the injection is normally just a bandaid?? Am I wrong?
  • I feel like injections are just a band-aid. I don't like them, and haven't had any relief from them. I can't take Lyrica for leg pain because of dizzyness and confusion and gabapentin makes the pain worse. So I've had to deal with the leg pain... I hope Friday goes well for you.

• my mom also has same pain issiues and twitching after spinal fusion surgery. Have you found any help yet. or whats wrong. desperitely looking for help!
  • I was taking calcium/magnesium for the legs jumping and it did help. It's something that you have to build up slowly and your stomach will tell you when you are taking too much (unfortunately you get diarrhea). I am also on topamax for the nerve pain and it has helped but it got too bad and ended up having to go in to get nerve blocks. The first nerve block helped and the other 2 worked opposite and brought the pain back. They have recommended a spinal stimulator but I'm not game for that. As long as I keep moving, the nerves don't bother me as much. I've had 2 surgeries since this post and my legs have stopped twitching.

• Thanks for the suggestions. Did they ever give you a diagnosis?
  • They had just told me it was muscle spasms.

This discussion has been closed.