Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spine surgeon recommendations in NYC

L5S1LL5S1 Posts: 51
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,
I am a New Yorker, currently 34 and unfortunately a member of this wonderful group of back pain sufferers. I love the site and find the info and support here invaluable.

My back pain started 3.5 years ago after I gave birth to twins. I had sciatic pain due to a L5-S1 herniation which gradually got worse and worse. I tried bed rest, physical therapy and chiropractic but none helped. After 5 months I was forced into surgery due to Cauda Equina Syndrome. The surgery went well and I was once again pain free.

A year and a half later I had a sudden onset of excruciating pain which did not taper off at all for many weeks. An MRI showed a severely herniated disc with disc fragmentation, again at the L5-S1 level. They gave me an ESI but it only worked for a couple of hours until the anesthetic part wore off. Since I was not getting any pain relief from the sciatic nerve and since the first surgery was successful I had another. The surgery went well and I was once again pain free.

(In hindsight, I probably shouldn't consider the surgeries successful if a repeat was necessary at the same level, but at that time successful meant achieving a pain-free life for any duration!)

Now a year and a half post-surgery #2, the pain has returned. Again, with a sudden onset, but the pain is manageable with bed rest, Naproxen and Oxycodone. So, I will be waiting it out and going to physical therapy, perhaps acupuncture and we'll see what happens. However, at this point if I am forced into the surgical route, I will probably need a spinal fusion.

I am currently using a highly recommended NYC spine surgeon and I am happy with his care. However I would like to go for a second and third opinion at this time (while not in crisis mode) so that I am prepared in case I need to have the fusion surgery suddenly.

So, if there are any New Yorkers out there, can you send me a PM and let me know if you would recommend or stay away from any particular spine surgeon and how you picked your surgeon for spinal surgery? (The forum rules say that you can't post doc info on the forum.)

Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

• But have you tried to contact your primary to see if they recommend anyone for your other opinions? If all else fails, you could start w/ the phone book and then google the names that you find, for more information.