Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Wow, be greatful for what you have I reckon'...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Chronic Pain
I have heard of a new pain clinic that opened in my area (currently there is only the one I go to) and I was toying with checking it out, the doctors, etc., because I do feel I am extremely undermedicated for my pain. I would also like to find a place that does both injections, and medication so I don't have to go see two different doctors all the time. Anywhoo - I thought I was a little annoyed having to be urine tested every 4 months because in my opinion, after a gal has tested fine for five years, I would think that charging my insurance company 1,000 bucks a pop every 4 months is a little overkill. I call the new place to get some info and find out they do a urine test EVERY month! I said, are you kidding me? She said no. I said, well isn't that a little over a thousand a month for insurance to pay then? Oh yeah she says, but that's how we do it. Well, I think I'll just pass on that one. Yes, it would be awesome if I could get one extra pain pill a day, but I'm not so sure that the expense warrants the outcome. I'm gonna have to give this some thought. Jeez! It's highway robbery if you ask me. The simple fact (and I have seen it many times) is, drug seekers are going to get the drugs, from a doctor or from a street corner - it doesn't matter. Legitimate pain patients are the ones that pay the piper because of druggies. I guess I'm a jerk, but I have little tolerance or sympathy for druggies at all. In my opinion, I pay the piper personally for their BS and so does every other legitimate pain patient in the Country. If it weren't for these jerks, we wouldn't have to be monitored so closely, take urine tests that cost exhuberant amounts of money, and be forced to see the doctor every single month at another exhuberant cost to the insurance company. The whole thing is ridiculous and 99 percent of it is because of druggies - am I wrong here? Other opinions??!!

• Well, drug addiction is a disease, and many people who are addicted became that way because of unscrupulous or undereducated doctors. So, I don't think blaming them as though it was a choice (for some, maybe it was, but not for all) is right.

But the drug tests do sound like a lot! I have only had one since I started pain management earlier this year!
  • I agree with you for the most part. In my case the disability policies require that I see the neurologist every month. Two of the three have a form to be filled out. My doctor on the other hand would only see me every three months and talk to me on the phone in between to monitor and adjust meds. So every month it costs me $70 to have forms filled out and the insurance company pays for an office visit. Since I'm not taking heavy drugs I don't need urine tests. Seems crazy to me that if the doctor feels comfortable writing disability note every three months that the insurance companies are forcing more treatment.

Now on the other side, anyone can become an addict. I've mentioned before my husbands cousin. He was injured at work and had severe back injuries. He refused a fusion and to be honest I don't know exactly what his problems were. But years of narcotic use lead to addiction. In just a few short years he went from hard working to addict. So anything that might catch that early is good.
  • and understand your frustration. however, i think that if a clinic can get away with billing monthly for a urine test, they'll do it. it's up to the ins. co's how many times they are willing to pay the $ (and the clinics will test the maximum amount everytime).

What I think really sucks is that some doctors have to be so suspicious that they will either deny treatment or under-treat out of fear. That would never happen with another medical condition. For instance, a diabetic would not be denied or only given a certain amount of insulin, a cancer patient would not be denied or given a finite amount of chemo even if they still needed more to get better.

Just sayin...

• No, I think you have it right. If the cost is $1,000 and they can bill it every month, why not? Who cares if the patient has to pay 20%?

There is no reason whatsoever that a patient with a good record should have to have such frequent tests. I don't think it's suspicion, I think it's money grubbing.

Either that, or there is some state law in Mouse's state that allows them to cover themselves that way liability-wise.

Because this is my second PM clinic and neither had anything but intake testing, and this clinic just used the results from the old clinic. And maybe that isn't enough, but I much prefer that! (and like Mouse, I've never given a single reason to doubt my adherence to the program).
  • Yes, prescription drug addicts add to our problems, but sometimes that person is predisposed to addiction and when given a certain medication, they become addicted right away.

I'm saying this from this side of the fence because we have a very good friend who is young and had to have all his teeth removed and fitted for false teeth. Because this is such a painful procedure, he was given oxycontin after his teeth removal surgery and he told us that he got addicted after the first pill he took. After his doc ended his refills, he ended up going to nursing homes and buying oxys from the residents for $5 a pill to keep his habit going.

Luckily, one day he realized what the heck he was doing and quit and became sober. But like I said, he was predisposed to addiction and it only took one pill for him to get addicted.

I'm certainly not making excuses for addicts that make it difficult for us, but in some cases it's just something that happens very unexpectedly and quickly. And certainly the doctor had nothing to do with his problem.

Just another point of view...
  • The one question I would ask is are you checking liver and kidney functions as often as your checking running drug test? Seems like if the doctor was concerned for a patient they would be checking those at the same time be sure the patient is well taken care of. If they are not seems they are just in a position to protect themselves.

Myself, like you Mouse I have no sympathy for drug addicts. More than likely anyone using a doctor to get pills for a high had lied on the in take forms. I could honestly care or less about anyone checking me for drugs, cause it is not happening here. I say check away if you must, but sense I am work comp they don't want to pay for that test or the blood test to see what the drugs are doing. So I have them monitored by my primary care physician outside of work comp.
  • She has never done any type of liver test or anything else like that, only drug screening. I think it’s ridiculous. I can see maybe new patients, but after a couple years of everything being on track, do it once a year and call it good. I have wondered about the ole’ liver, cuz I drink – a lot. I drink everyday. I think a lot of that is being under medicated. I never used to do that until I started hurting so bad. I know it’s not good, but at this point – I guess I don’t really care. Ya, I know - talking about addiction huh...
This discussion has been closed.