Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just can't seem to sleep! Help!

Heff-ManHHeff-Man Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Sleep Problems
Hey guys,after a serious re-evaluation of my life so far (23 years old) I have now started to realise how my sleeping problems has affected my life. It has had a real impact on my college exams and studies..my abilities to concentrate and focus on anything have decreased hugely,I used to think I was just being lazy but I'm not sure if that was the case. I have very high fatigue throughout the day and have awful mood swings. I get headaches from a lack of sleep. There are days I go to bed at 5 or 6am and sleep until 12 but I feel like crap when I wake up and it will take me at least another couple of hours just to fully function so I've already wasted most of the day. I really want to use my day being productive as possible but I'm so tired in my mind and body. The scary part is I'm so used to not sleeping now that I don't feel sleepy anymore,I haven't gone to sleep before 12am in about 10 years. I have forced myself to try sleep early but my mind is just too active,too many thoughts. I have tried everything to sleep,reading books,exercising during the day,cutting out coffee or tea but still nothing works!. I was going to try meditation but my mind simply won't shut out anything!. My insomnia has gotten so bad that there were times I resorted to drink alcohol to help me drift off a bit which is stupid I know.I don't like to take meds either,rather stay away from them. My legs and feet sweat alot also in bed which dosnt help me sleep so I'm losing all hope now of getting a good nights sleep :( if anyone has any suggestions pls let me know and sorry for writing so much,I bet some of ye drifted off to sleep by the time ye finished reading this ha! (ironically) thanks guys!

• College can be awfully stressful in itself.
    I have a 22 year old away at school, so your post pulled on my heart strings. I suffer from insomnia - used to be from stress, type A, all the way. mind would not shut down, reliving the day in your bed is an awful way to spend your nights. I saw my PCP and was giving meds to help me relax and worked like a charm.
    Now my insomnia is caused by chronic pain, even sleeping pills barely give me 4 hours of sleep.
    Now it sounds like you are trying all the right things EXCEPT THE DRINKING DON'T DRINK TO SLEEP, please. Not good.
    Are you still in school? Many campuses have sleep clinics or maybe there is one in town, many pay money, $$$$ to observe your sleeping (or lack of) patterns.
    You are too young to allow this to consume your life.
    I recently started listening to audio books on CD, I wish I knew about these years ago, its like someone reading you a bedtime story every night! Just don't get one too interesting, I just started The Lost Symbol from Dan Brown, great book. But too interesting to put me to sleep. Last night I listened from 2-6 am!
    I am glad you are seeking help.
    Last question, do you have a support group? Family, friends, church?
    Good luck and sweet dreams!
    Ps, no energy drinks.
  • Have you seen a dr for this problem? It seems to me like you might need to see one.

Please keep us updated ;)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I agree that seeing your doc would be a smart move. You may have some sort of imbalance that you are unaware of and the doc can help rule those sort of things out. I find that nutrition and exercise are vitally important for me in regards to getting enough quality sleep. I have gone through some stints of insomnia and I know how exhausting it can be.

• Hey guys,

Sorry about the late reply,have been busy. Thank you for the replies.

Virginiap I’m actually finished college for the time being, I actually graduated last Friday funny enough. I related to your reply in a lot of similar ways. I usually suffer from stress or anxiety most days which lead to a few insecurities in my life. You have a daughter in college so you must worry about her a lot, natural for any parent I’m sure. I worry about my family a lot which doesn’t help.

I just have a lot of baggage in my past and I worry about the future..ill spare you the long details of my life,I hate to seem like I’m pitying myself cus I know there are millions of people worse off than me so I hate using my own problems as an excuse for my downfalls in life.

In terms of support. Well i have never been on medication for anything in terms of insomnia or depression, anxiety ect..have been on medication for pain relief for my back briefly but for the most days my back is pain free-ish,i can tolerate it lets just say,used to be a lot worse!. I have in the past did a bit of research to see what might be wrong with me,like do i have any underling medical condition like OCD or something?. To be honest i thought i could have a few medical conditions but I wasn’t 100% sure and i don’t want to come off as having hypochondria to doctors or my family..I would hate to come off as someone crazy who hasn’t nothing wrong with them.

Ive never been in a support group or to the doctors. I have been offered counselling once or twice before but im way too subborn and i cant express myself at all.I have this mental perception that i come off as weak or feel like im bothering someone by talking about my problems or just making excuses if i express that im struggling in life. I also wouldn’t even know where to begin, what to talk about first (i know its silly). In terms of my family..it’s the same thing,never express myself,alway put up a front and pretend that im ok cus i dont want them to worry,i worry about my family constantly.My brother past away suddenly two years ago and Im just terrified ill lose another family member.If i know my family are happy and healthy then it’s some comfort.

I try to eat healthy and exercise often but when im getting little or no sleep and i cant keep to an daily organised routine cus of my sleep patterns its so hard to keep it up..physically and mentally.

Church for support in my life? little or none at all. I used to pray to god often but when my brother died i became bitter and angry. Now i dont know what to believe in anymore. I have an interest in physics and astronomy so it’s hard to grasp the spiritual side of things for me anymore..I feel guilty sometimes cus i would hate to think my brother is not gone to a better place (heaven and all that).

Anyway Sorry for the long reply guys..thanks for listening and the advice!.

• Since you're thinking so much while you're in bed, try keeping a journal and write in it before you go to sleep each night. That way, with all your thoughts down on paper, you're mind will be 'permitted' to sleep knowing that nothing will be forgotten.

You may also want to try some sleep CDs. They will take your mind off whatever it is that you can't stop thinking about and force you to concentrate on the melodic sounds of nature.

• I normally get about 4-6 hours of sleep a night. Ive tried getting sleeping pills from many different drs but they just tell me not to drink caffeine or turn off the tv. I've done everything! I end up staring up at a blank ceiling! I just can't seem to turn off my mind. I can't take melatonin or anything with antihistamine. I get restless leg syndrome when I take anything with those in it. Any ideas on how to help me sleep?? Please help!