Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 week post op meds

PeppermintPPeppermint Posts: 34
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Pain Medications
I am a little upset. I am 2 weeks today post op from a acdf at c3-7. my meds before surgery were Lortab 10mg 1 3 times a day. my mom says I am worried for you. (worrying that I may be addicted) because you should not need pain meds at 2 weeks after surgery. HOLY COW did she really say that. I was sooooo upset. I do see a pain mang. dr. Today has been a very painful day and I have taken 5 lortab today total. I guess the 2 great days I had I over did it a bit.
skelaxin 1 3 times a day( did not do anything )
2 zanaflex 4 mg at bedtime

Now post op I am 10 mg lortab 1-2 every 4-6 hrs. I really only take 2 first thing when I wake up. I hurt so much then. (guess this is normal to hurt like this first thing when you get up. As someone else said WHAT AM I DOING ALL NIGHT? haaha

and 1 zanaflex every 6 hrs for spasams during the day I really only use them 1 when I wake up. I was doing them again at lunch but have not really needed them.

Lidoderm patches at night on my right arm and shoulder tonight it is going on the neck.

((HUGS)) To everyone

• If you know the pain is still there and you need the meds then your fine and don't worry to much what others think. I myself tend to taper back on opiates pretty quick like the 2 every 4 hours deal, after surgery. Now my muscle relaxers that is a whole different ball game. I am clock watching for the muscle relaxer on about the 4th hour or so, for quit sometime. But lately I have noticed I am up to about 5 1/2 hours before I really want one. Most just don't understand the surgery till they have had it themselves. So just be sure your tappering down, from the original dose prescribed post surgery, even if it is one pill a day or so and your fine.
  • Just one point, be sure and discuss your total dose with your pharmacist to make sure you are not exceeding the recommended allowance of tylenol at your maximum. I am not sure how much Lortab has, hopefully they are a lower apap dose, but also make sure to discuss any over the counter medications you might take with your pharmacist.

As far as the other issue, it's really one to discuss with your pain management doctor. I suspect he would tell you that 2 weeks post surgery, pain is still expected, and that treating pain is important to the healing process!