Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Any Info for post op comfort

johnb3207jjohnb3207 Posts: 99
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello All I have my L4 L5 fusion Thursday and will be back home on Sat Which Is good (Iowa Hawkeys play WI Badgers)
And was just looking for any suggestions to be comfortable
I set up a table by my bed and will have everything I need
in arms reach. Remote, grabber,laptop,magazines,ext ext
any input from you all will be much appreciated nerves
are starting to get to me now lol Go Iowa :H

• Size up on your clothing , loose and baggy is good !! Take pain relief regularly and take up all offers of help , change postion regulary too , I get up and walk during adverts on tv. Wet wipes are a godsend for the toilet issues !! Good luck !! I had mine last tuesday and it wasn't as bad as I had feared xxx
  • Awesome Thanks Janie that def does help yey I will go get some wet wipes today Glad you are getting along good Very happy for you :)
  • toilet riser? Walker? Shower seat? A wedge pillow? Someone to make sure you take your meds on schedule (you need to stay ahead of the pain the first few weeks)? A place to plant yourself downstairs with a similar situation (i.e. your 'things' around you)? I thought I'd be in bed but ended up in my recliner with pillows behind me to pull me forward with a rolling table next to it. I slept in my bed at night, but had to have help up and down the stairs the first couple of weeks.

You'll need to be walking pretty soon after you get home. After my TLIF, I had some pretty severe nerve pain down both legs and couldn't walk without my walker and on a few occasions, couldn't even make it to the bathroom on my own without hubby's help. Not to say that will happen to you, but nerves can get pretty angry and let you know about it for a few weeks.

Oh, also I found silk pajamas (others have silk sheets) to help with log rolling out of bed.

You are lucky as I was - I got to go home two days after my TLIF, even though my surgeon didn't want me to. My nurse helped me - doc said that if I was still draining past 50mil, that I'd have to stay one more night (Friday night). So my nurse helped to "scheme" me out of the hospital by looking out my drain and saying, "Well, wouldn't you know - it's output at 4.9." So hubby was able to pick me up on his way home. But I also was up and walking around the entire floor on Friday morning (my surgery was Wednesday) by myself with cheers coming out of every room. It was quite exciting and I felt like I was winning a marathon. LOL

You might also have a very pesky PT person that will come in just when you're ready for a nap and make you get up and walk then test your skills for getting in and out of the bathtub, in and out of a car, sitting and standing on your own, etc.

In my hospital, they had a spine floor. One of the rooms was so awesome - it had a car cut in half to practice getting in and out of, a mini grocery store, a mini kitchen with high cabinets, a mini front porch with a mailbox, etc. It was the cutest room I ever saw and he took me through that to see how much I could do before he'd make his sign-off for me to go home.

Whoops, looks like I just relived my TLIF for you. Sorry I kept going on. I wish you much success on your surgery and look forward to seeing how you're doing postop.

Please don't hesitate to PM me if I can help you in any way.
  • Also really really concentrate on bowl softeners!! I know this sounds rediculous but I have to tell you after 2 weeks that was almost as bad a surgery!!! LOL:)

Please keep us updated on how it goes!! My thoughts are with you!!
  • Oh yes I have started taking them a little over a week ago found this out after my first back surgery so yes
    thanks again tho that is a must pill I agree
  • at Costco for hubby. He was always spilling stuff when he tried to drink through a bendy straw. These thermoses work wonderfully as you can lie flat and still drink without any spillage whatsoever. Also got some not quite satin sheets but close and that made it easier for him to move in bed.
  • A heating pad! No, two heating pads!

Since my fusion 3 weeks ago I've used one heating pad every day and sometimes two. Mostly, I'm putting my feet on it because I've been FREEZING ever since my surgery. When my back starts to hurt, I'll get out a special heating pad we've had for years that is long, rectangular in shape and has a strap with velcro so it can be put around your waist or around a leg, etc.

Some people prefer ice and I've got a great ice pack made just for the lumbar region. It has a special belt that holds the lumbar-shaped "pea" style ice pack inside belt. It has large velcro straps that criss-cross across your abdomen and hold the ice pack in place very nicely.

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Sorry to jump in the middle of thread but many of you mention walkers..were you sent home with that or did you have to get it in advance?

• Hi Ang I got my walker in advance Our local church
    Loans them out and just take back when finished
    not sure I will need it but will be nice to just have piece of mind lol #o
  • =D> cath That is awesome glad to hear your doing so well and I loved reading about your floor people
    cheering to funny ...Wow sounds like a great hospital
    with all that stuff thanks for the info take care
    and I will post hopefully fri a day after
  • I never knew I'd need one co my MIL had to scramble to find one to borrow from one of her friends when we found I couldn't walk on day. I think it's best to have one at the ready after lumbar surgery. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I know you must be getting very anxious. The surgery will be over soon and you'll be well on your way to recovery.
    I'll be thinking of you tomorrow and sending you positive thoughts and wishes.

Good luck,
  • :))( thanks Debbie for your wishes

• I wish you well with your surgery tomorrow.
    Believe me, the relief you will feel that you are over on this side of surgery, will be wonderful. Then it will be over to you to heal. Sounds easy doesn't it?!

You will need lots of patience as this recovery is a long road, but you will get there.
    Let's hope that you are one of us that says that the anticipation was worse than the actual surgery. I know I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't as bad as I had feared.

I had a L4/L5 decompression and fusion. I surprised them in the hospital by not needing a walker or cane. I was just up and walking the next day. I think that all the exercising I had been doing to try to avoid surgery, meant that my muscles were strong and that helped me to recover fairly quickly. It still took me 5 1/2 months to be able to return to work though.

Hope that you will wake up and have your pain very well controlled. We will be waiting to hear how you are doing, when you feel up to posting here. :-)
  • Johnb3207,

Good luck on your surgery tomorrow! When I had my cervical fusion I found that fighting off boredom was just as important as being comfortable. Have lots of movies or better yet get the entire series of some TV show you've never watched on DVD. Usually your local library will have them so you don’t need to purchase them. I’m waiting to watch the second season of Breaking Bad until I have my surgery in three weeks.

Go Hawkeyes! I’m only a nominal Iowa fan, I went to school up the road a piece in Mt. Vernon. Have tons of friends that bleed black and gold.

• I received walker and cane, but had cervical laminoplasty. Have Kaiser did not have to pay was part of our medica plan.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    If you type that into the blue search box at the top of this page, click search, then click on the first one at the top. You'll find a very helpful thread.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I thought I would need a walker as I was using one at the hospital. But they kept me a few extra days so by the time I left I didn't need one (which was good since the one my hubby borrowed didn't go high enough, must have been a "junior" walker). The best things I had were toilet seat riser, grabber, and 7 inch wedge for the bed (from a home good store). Loose clothing is important and I would also write down when I took a medication (in the first few weeks). Otherwise I'd wake up at 7am and wonder if I had taken the medication also when I woke up at 5?

Went to Iowa vs U of AZ in Tucson (2 hr south) and it was depressing. Not only that it was 100 degrees at game time and 95 when we went home at 11:30 pm. Iowa will win this weekend, although I have mixed loyalty as I went to both Iowa and Wisconsin)

2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos