Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Wheelchair Ramps? Stairlifts?

jean jayejjean jaye Posts: 181
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Recovering from Surgery

I am in the process of getting estimates for a wheelchair ramp for my home. I was wondering if any one had any suggestions or experiences to share? My steps are 48 inches high, but the grade of the land slopes downward to the driveway. I am being told that this is the actual measurement, where the wheelchair ramp would end. While commercial ADA rules require one foot of length for each inch of height, you can do a foot for each inch and a half at the most for residential. I need a 45 foot ramp with 2 platforms for 90 degree turns, ouch. I am leaning toward the metal grated type versus wooden, because it is commercial grade, supposed to be better with the snow build up, adjustable, doesn't require a building permit, and can be donated to another person if I can eventually get this leg working.

Does anyone have one of these type? Did it cost you thousands of dollars? Are you happy with it? Did you also get a stairlift by any chance? Any help or suggestions about these? Did you find any sources of aid to help offset all these costs? Any help would be so appreciated.

Thank you,
glo :)

• I tried to post a link to this, but it wouldn't fit lol. Google Home Modification Loan and include your state.

I wish you the very best and will pray that you regain use of your leg. Would love to meet up with you again in York next year!

Marianne xxooxx
  • Hi Marianne,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post, and thank you for the information. That site actually helped me quite a bit. It also had information about other resources. The people I contacted were very nice and helpful. I found out that I can get help with transportation for my doctors' appointments once the ramp is done. By the way, the ramp is being installed on Monday- Yahoo! I need to get to the doctor's and out of the house for even just a bit. I am also praying for you and your upcoming surgery. Please keep me informed. I hope we will both be in decent shape to meet up in Maine. :)
    Thanks Again!

• Howdy woman!!

Most houses now a days (code requirement) have to meet the ADA requirements. E.g., wheel chair accessible. My hubby has been looking into what would be needed to adjust our house should my spinal issues go further south. I will take your initial post to give him ideas as to what to look at (ramps and such). What stinks in South Florida, is after hurricane Andrew, *all* doors have to open "out", so that is a pain if you are in a wheel chair!

Your plans sound like a great start. Please let us know how it all turns out! :) *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.