Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

At the end of my tether and worried,

jokerswildjjokerswild Posts: 1
Hello everyone i feel a little silly posting this but i,m a worried soul,i,ve been having episodes of back pain for 12yrs now i am 37yrs old but this latest one has been nothing short of horrendous,it started as it always has with a dull lower ache in the base of my spine with tightness and pain shooting down my left leg,this time the pain has been much worse to the point that it,s effecting my life, i have cronic pain in my hip,left buttock and sharp pulses of pain running down my left leg into my foot the spasms are nothing short of the worst pain i have ever had, i don,t sleep and have been having physio to no success and have now been sent to the consultant which im seeing tomoz morning any advice or reassurance would be welcome,as this has been going on for 3 months nearly now, many thanks Dave,

• Welcome to Spine-Health, Dave! No advice from me, I'm new to the back part of things, but I have a shoulder to cry on, an ear to listen with, and a hug for you. You're doing the best thing possible by checking out your pain with a doctor, listening to your body and not waiting for it to get better on it's own. Your body gives you pain to tell you something is wrong, and your doctors will help you figure out the best course of action to fix the problem.

Don't ever feel silly posting here, there are tons of great folks on this site who have been right where you are, scared, hurting and feeling worried about getting these problems checked out. There are a lot of knowledgeable folk here who will share their experiences with you, and have proven a very valuable resource to many, me included. I had a 2 level neck fusion done a bit over a year ago, and I practically lived on these forums!

Good luck and let us know how your appointment goes :-)

• Dave,

First off, Welcome to Spine Health!! We are a mix of members that are patients and some care givers of nerve and spine issues - no doctors on here. So what we say, is from personal experiences. :)

I've had off and on back and neck pain since I crashed a helicopter in 1985. Last December or there abouts my L2/3/4 herniated - actually "is now protruding" into the exit nerves. The good part of course is all the goo is still in the disks! Painful, you betcha! Chronic pain is awful, but now that you know you have it, hopefully you can now start addressing it more aggressively. Have you tried alternating ice and heat for your lower back?

Some things I've tried is laying on my bed with my legs elevated. Gentle massage. Heat/cold. Hot/hot showers. Gentle stretches. I'm also on Lyrica for the nerve pain generated issues. Darvocet for when I get bad mechanical pain (muscles, skeletal etc.)

Have you had any imaging done yet to find out what might be going on? If not, you might consider maybe getting with a Neurologist or Orthopedist (who specialize in spine issues). They could give you a full neurological work up and exam, and then other tests as needed to come to a full diagnosis - and hopefully something then to relieve your pain. I hope you have answers and relief soon.

Again, welcome aboard!!! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I'll add my welcome to the Spine-Health support forum.

You're seeing your consultant tomorrow so I'm assuming you're in the UK? We have several active members in the UK and you'll probably hear from them.

Be sure to tell your consultant exactly what you've been experiencing. If you've kept a journal of your pain, what aggravates it, how bad it is, etc, that would be very helpful to him.

Let us know how things go. Wishing you relief from pain!

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled