Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Day 2 after surgery

johnb3207jjohnb3207 Posts: 99
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
They took my morphine pump from me....now I'm on oral pain meds. 10/300 hydrocodone and muscle relaxers. Long night...woke up with wicked headache....not much sleep because of them coming in to walk me and all the beeping coming from the IV pumps. In more pain today. PT and OT worked with me twice. Got a shower. Drinking lots of water so they are having to watch my catheter bag so it doesn't overflow. Still getting great care. Talked to my Dr and he told me it was a very good thing to have done. The disc was definitely needing to come out. Says he thinks it will make a world of difference for me. I'm a bit concerned because the inside of my left leg from my knee down doesn't have the sensation and feeling that the outside does. Has anyone experienced that before? The Dr tells me the feeling will come back. I sure hope so. Scheduled to go home Sunday.
P.s. my fiance typed this for me...no way I got do it on my own.

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Great to hear from you. Sounds like you're doing really well. I'm glad they're taking good care of you.

Take it easy and rest between all the pokes and beeps. :) Sunday will be here before you know it.

• So, going home got delayed a day? Bummer. It's amazing how good we feel on the morphine pump and then when you get to oral meds, it's a big difference.

Sounds like the surgery turned out to be a wise choice. Now you just need to recover. Remember that you'll have good days and bad days, and the first two weeks home will be the worst, if you're like most of us. But it will get better with time. I remember the day I realized that all my pain was surgical recovery pain, not spine pain. That was a good day and you'll have one of those too.

Hang in there, John, and keep up the good work. Those therapy people are a real pain in the behind, aren't they? They're timing usually couldn't be worse...

Keep us posted and "Hello" to your fiance. Sounds like a keeper. :-)

• Nice to see your fiancé is with you. :) It does sound like you are coming along well. I hope you continue on the good road. Try not to let any slight set backs drag you down - they may happen, hopefully not. Gentle *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • your doing pretty good there. yes, you dont get much sleep in hospital, but is so good there looking after you.
    try have some naps,and good there with the water!
    thanks for keeping us updated
    keep on healing
    sending you positve energy
  • John!
    I know I literally cried on day 3 when my dilaudid pump was taken away... I kept pleading that I hadn't abused it...LOL, the nurse was so funny, she said we know that honey, you couldn't have even if you had wanted to : o) But they continued to give me dilaudid via IV. I know vicodin can cause headache in some people, keep those wonderful caregivers informed on how your feeling. I know my nursing staff made all the difference, sure they want to poke you, sample this & that... but most of them are so caring & nurturing, which is what you need a lot of right now! Keep taking your cat naps whenever you can.
    I didn't have the sensation issues that you described, but I will pray that you awake tomorrow with full sensation in your leg. Sometimes the nerves need to settle in their new roomy home!
    Wishing a speedy recovery!
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I slept a bit better once the pump was removed since I didn't have to hit the button every 10 minutes! I was in for a week and on the last night I slept like a rock. I commented to the nurses assistant that the phlebotomist has not come in to get blood between 4-5am as they usually do. She laughed and said "that's how well you finally slept, look at your arm". I had no memory of it. I also found the more I slept the more of a headache I'd get. Not sure why.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • John - just remember that you might have a few set-backs along the way to recovery, but you'll get there. On the loss of sensation thing - you may get all your feeling back. I woke up with a lot of numbness on the outside of my lower leg and foot. It has all come back except the outside of my foot is still numb. It's almost two years later, so I don't think that's likely to come back, but my leg feels fine.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Hi John,

You're doing great. I doubt that the numbness is anything to be concerned about. You need to remember that the nerves in your back were potentially moved and otherwise "messed with" in order to perform your surgery. They're not going to be very happy at first. You can always ask your doctor what's going on. He'll probably be able to give you a very logical reason for everything you're experiencing.

Keep up the good work and thanks for keeping us informed (through your kind fiance) about your progress. :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Your on your way to recovery now. When I had my surgery I couldn't tolerate any pain meds through my epidural or IV...constant vomiting if I moved for 2 days. So I had no pain meds except what was given in surgery for the 1st 24 hours. It was horrible. I couldn't move because the pain was so bad. After the vomiting was finally easing up I took Oxycodone 10mg every 4 hours after that. They pulled my epidural because I refused to use it. I have never been so sick in my life. The doctors kept coming in and saying wow..she isn't using her PCA. lol..I was a sick puppy. And they over medicated me in surgery and it took Narcan to wake me up so to speak and get my respitory rate back up..It was scary.

Sounds like you are doing well and it is wonderful you have support from your fiance. I can't imagine how I would have done it without my husband.

Take care,
  • Hubby also had a wicked migraine in the hospital and then, when he had surgery for kidney stones last month, had another. They think he is allergic to morphine.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I hope you've made it home and that you're doing ok. I've been looking for an update and have been worried since we haven't heard from you. Please let us know how you are as soon as you're able.