Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Laminotomy failed, X-stop failed, scared to death!!

tjcornuttttjcornutt Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
I'm 45 and active. Herniated L5-S1 in the Navy 16 yrs ago. Was diagnosed with DDD, spinal stenosis and arthritis but decided to live with it as long as I could (very painful at times!). Had a laminotomy in 2005 resulting some pain relief. Pain gradually got to the point that I ended up seeing the surgeon again. Had an X-stop inserted in 2008. Was a dramatic improvement. Thought I had it licked. Now the X-stop is moving and causing "popping and clicking" (I can make it pop on command by twisting). Doc says it has to come out and is recommending a fusion at L5-S1. I've done some homework and don't like what I am seeing. Anyone have any advice? Once the X-stop is out, I'm back to square one and have two choices (I think).

1. Do nothing and live with the pain and pains meds (I hate them)

2. Have the fusion and chance ending up back at #1.

What are the percentage of fusion failures?

Needless to say, I scared to death and need some advice.

• one i have heard of failing ..are you a candidate for ADR ?? artificial disc if not then a fusion done by someone that is at the top of the game !!!! don't let some half wit operate on you ..if you are in the UK i can give you a few names but anywhere else you will have to get info yourself ...but a fusion done well should give you many years relief maybe as much as 15/20 and maybe up to 80 percent pain relief ..and yes it can fail even when done by a top notch surgeon ..its life my friend ..i have been tossing the thought of a ALIF fusion {that's the big one} around for over a year now and i have just decided to have it done and i am now waiting for a date ..if you are in enough pain then you will decide it took me to get to the stage where only high amounts of pain killers would give a small amount of pain relief and only 1/2 hours sleep |[this is my status at the moment and has been like this for a while}to make my mind up ..its either carry on taking drugs and laying on a recliner or go for it and gamble and just hope everything works out well and in the next 2 years my life should have improved for the better ..for many years i was glass half empty but now ..living with so much pain and negativity i am glass half full ...think about it ..