Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Cervical laminectomy Pain-Weakness

VTGolferVVTGolfer Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello, about a year ago I had a laminectomy on C3-C6 to remove a tumor that was growing inside my spinal column. Everything went well and the tumor was benign, I recovered rather quickly resuming all my normal activities within 3 months.

My problem is I get a strange feeling in my neck, arms and legs when someone either greets me with a strong hug around my neck or slaps me on the back at the base of my neck. It does not hurt as much as it makes me feel vulnerable and weak in the arms. Almost like an electric feeling...

It's very uncomfortable and has made me drop a few drinks when surprised with a slap on the back.

Just wondering if this is to be expected, my neurosurgeon has left my hospital so I haven't been able to ask them. Has anyone had similar problems post-laminectomy?

• I had a C2 Ganglionectomy for which they removed part of C1 and did a laminectomy at C2. The feeling you described was fairly constant for me for about 2 years. As time goes on it happens less and less. It is a very weird feeling and even my cervical spinal cord stimulator cannot hide the feeling. I tried describing it to my neurosurgeon and he seemed to be confused by it.

Are you currently under any doc's care? If you are dropping drinks, I would definitely make certain that your doc is aware of that.

You are not alone with this weird feeling. I am just grateful it is diminishing!

Welcome to Spine Health,

• robrobt33rrobrobt33 MichiganPosts: 11
    This is my first posting. On Feburary 20, 2015 I had a benign tumor removed from under (Laminectomy) C4,C5, C6 and C7. I'm about 3 months out and just starting physical therapy. I'm still having to take 5mg of Vicodin 3 times a day for radiating pain above the the incision site within the tight muscles the the base of my skull. Does this seem to be typical? How long was it before you were 80% free of pain?
    Thank you,