Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6TH day after L4 L5 fusion

johnb3207jjohnb3207 Posts: 99
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello all got a little more sleep feeling much better today
just need a BM lol went outside and walked with my brother
who is here all week with me to help out very nice of him
If I did not have this catheter I would feel so much more
mobile and I know I could sleep much better...Fri I go get staples and catheter out I am so scared to have the cath removed after all the troubles of them getting it in which is why i had to bring it home for a week painful but Fri afternoon i am hoping to see lol spirits are still good
thanks for all of your replies they do help :H

• news your getting a bit more sleep and that nasty cath will be coming out soon. keep up the good work healing
    sending you positive healing energy
  • you will feel much better when you have your staples and catheter out. :-)
  • Good to see your spirits are very good! Just try and continue to walk, rest and heal!! Please keep us posted. *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • John, good to see you are on the mend.

At the risk of sticking my nose where it doesn't belong, you still have your catheter in after six days? Was there a problem? I only had mine in for 24 hrs after my ACDF. My doc gave me a similar timeline for my upcoming surgery.

EDITED: Ooops, guess I should have read your post more thoroughly. Sorry about the catheter problems. Friday can't come soon enough!

Take it easy and don't over do it!

• Yes Ccope They tore up my urethra tube and had to have a urolagist (sorry spelled wrong)do it with a scope and I lost alot of blood so they have to leave it in to heal and beleive me it sucks I guess my urethra
    tube was small I am not normal lol but will be glad to
    get it out and I am sure it will hurt also but I will rest much better after words I)
  • Ya'll, I'd appreciate it if you'd quit calling it a "nasty cath" - it's really hurting my ego here. LOL

Hey John, buddy, I'm glad that you're doing a little better. I told you the first couple of weeks were the hardest, so hopefully you're going to be feeling even better soon. I think that the cathETER coming out won't be as bad as it going in, but who am I? At least that's what I'm hoping. As a woman, I loved having a catheter, it's kind of like knowing how a guy goes to the bathroom - you just pull it out of the hole in your lounge pants, point and shoot. Pretty cool for us ladies.

How's the pain other than the catheter stuff? Are you keeping up on your meds and staying ahead of the pain? Sleep is so important to recovery that I hope you can sleep better after Friday. It's nice to hear that your brother came to be with you and help, great brother there.

Thanks for the update and please continue to keep us posted as you travel through your recovery. It's a long road and I bet you'll need us along the way.

Take care, my friend
  • Dude, 'tore up' and 'urethra' are two words I NEVER want to hear again in the same sentence. That loud noise you hear coming from the direction of Chicago (well Denver actually, I'm traveling) is me holding my crotch yelling, No No No!!!! Juvenile, I know but still.

I think I'm going to wear a cup to my surgery. While I know first hand the necessity of a catheter, I don't want anyone touching my junk after reading that.

P.S. Yes my maturity level is the same as your average twelve year old, it's a guy thing

• They didn't use one with me (said they didn't want to risk infection).

Let me tell you, that having been on fluids and drinking loads of water, trying to lift yourself up for the nurse to slide a bedpan underneath, was no joke!! :''(
  • "Nasty cath"--that's FUNNY, Cathie!! image

John, thanks for updating us on how you're doing. So sorry to hear what happened to you. I sure hope you don't have any problems with the cath comes out. Not to worry you, but when you've had a catheter that long your muscles can forget how to work--at least it can do that in women and I know that's a fact, from experience! Maybe men aren't affected that way but when they take the cath out, you may want to stick around the hospital/office for a while to see if you're able to urinate on your own.

Now that I've probably totally deflated your balloon and given you an anxiety attack, I'll say that I think you're doing very well. Good for you, getting out and walking. Keep up the great progress! image

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Jelly,

I can relate. I commented about this on another thread that John started. When I had my ACDF, I thought I was being oh so smart when I told my nurse to take the catheter out while I was still under. Well, next thing I know I'm being wheeled out of recovery and I REALLY have to pee.

Since I was hooked up to IV's and various other electronics, I was not allowed to get out of bed, so they bring me a bed pan, actually it was a bottle. Well either because of the anesthesia or stage fright, I couldn't go. After about five hours I had the catheter reinserted, while conscious. Not fun for me or the nurse, but ohhhhh the relief.

To make the situation even more awkward, my wife was sitting five feet away while the nurse was working "down there".

• cracking me up! :))(
    Ya'll, I'd appreciate it if you'd quit calling it a "nasty cath" - it's really hurting my ego here. LOL

ok , no more shortened cath , it is cathater from now on ! :P

John , you poor thing , ohh you will feel better whwen its out
  • Lol Sorry cath but it is out now and I feel liberated
    lol just got home staples out to :))( :))( :))( :))(
  • excellent news there john <:P

boy i bet you feel a lot better with the cathether and stitches out

sending you positive healing energy
  • Thanks flower I do feel Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better liberated even lol free at last free at last =))
  • Glad to see you are feeling a bit better and being a bit mobile...which at six days post is really encouraging to hear.

Looking forward to hearing from you on the other side of the cath.

• Very happy to hear your cath issues are over, I hope you have no additional issues with urethra or bladder. I say this, as I am having issues so I totally can relate, I am 9 weeks post ALIF L 4-5, and have been having issues since then. NOT pleasant! John, I'm sure you are on antibiotics, after being catherized for so long ...don't won't any uti complications.

How are you feeling otherwise? Back, legs... all feeling good? I sure hope so! I wish you a healthy & speedy recovery!
    God bless!

Ccope, my husband has to catherize me 2-3 times a day, maybe its different for guys....I don't think he minds too much LOL! Seriously, with my limited range of motion I could not do it myself (not even sure if I wasn't in chronic pain if I would want to!) Again, my husband was an eager and astute student and the urologist was a good teacher.
  • Glad your feeling better John
    I didnt have a catheter but the nurse did threaten me with one if I didnt go.Thats all it took the flood gates were open.
  • Yes back legs all seem to doing ok some pain but i think that is normal. finally got a great nights sleep
    with not cath lastnight I slept real good felt great
  • I bet it was such a relief to get the catheter and staples out. How did you get a good night's sleep so early in your recovery? Hope you get lots more.

Good to hear that you're doing well in the early part of your recovery.

Keep letting us know how you're going.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Hi Trish I sleep 2 hours at a time it seems but it is a good 2 hours last night was not as well halloween
    but that was ok I watched Ghost hunters live all night lol love that show .....my legs are starting to hurt
    now I hope that is normal do you know? Thanks for your reply trish hope your doing well :H
  • The body takes quite a while to settle down after major spine surgery. Keep an eye on your pain levels and start a pain diary. Should you need to speak to your surgeon, then you'll have a record of how you've been feeling.

I'm doing really well and can walk longer distances now. I just have to not overdo things, otherwise my levels above and below the fusion let me know all about it, and I don't want more surgery.

Two hours good sleep at a time is pretty good at this early stage in your recovery.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Thanks Trish that is a great Idea about the pain Journal I will do that now ..glad your doing well
    when was your surgery ? and trishdownunder I take it you are a Ausi lol if so way cool I could listen to
    you all talk all day and never interruptyou lol
    my favorite accent by far lol Thanks Trish have a great day :))(