Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Well I really need some support today.....

PollyRPPollyR Posts: 411
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello Again everyone.....ok...you all pretty much know my story so here goes.....

I was getting ready to wash my hair while in the shower yesterday...bent over to get the shampoo and it hit!!!! It felt like some one hooked up a car bettery to my lower fusion and sciatic nerve area....OMG I thought I was going to scream...then I felt like my legs were going out!! I had to sit on the side of the shower for a bit to catch my breathe......

I finally got out of shower and had to put my D#M lumbar brace back on.....It is still hurting and I have the shakes in my hands....

My Hubby thinks he should wrap me in bubble wrap so I cant bend or hurt myself...he likes to make me laugh when I hurt..!!!

Oh I really wish there was a break from the pain...old and new!!!!

• I hate those sneak attacks. Just when things seem pretty good...bam!!! Hopefully some rest today will make the pain go away.

• give yourself plenty of rest now to allow everything to calm down again. You may have inflamed the nerves. You could try icing to see if that will help to settle them down again.

Be kind to yourself! >:D<
  • Gentle *HUG*. I've done that with picking the soap up I dropped! No fusion down there for me, but the pinch, holy.... Try and rest, and hopefully you will be feeling better soon. Oh, Lol - maybe your hubby is on to something? (G) *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thats a good way of describing it. Thats what i'm feeling right now also.
    I've got bronticis went to clinic last week, and everytime i cough or sneeze i get the same breath taking shooting pain.
    I guess it's something we have to accept. ~X(
  • Wow, sorry to hear that, must have been frightening. I am 8 weeks post-op PLIF L4&L5 discs removed, and the shower is a tricky place 4 me. All that low bending to get my products. I have just started to use ice again(lived with it pre-op)and it really helps.
    Sending healing thoughts your way, Take It Easy
  • I like your name - it was my paternal grandmother's name.

Anyhoo, I can relate to pain while in the shower. I'm much further out from TLIF surgery that you, but I find problems when I'm bending down shaving my legs and then while I'm trying to stand back up straight again, oh my, that can be very painful.

Standing, bending and getting up from bending are so difficult for us lumbar peeps. I can't even cut my own toe nails anymore because between my cervical and lumbar surgeries, I just can't twist that way any more. So my good friend makes me go with her for pedicures monthly to let them do the dirty work.

Sorry you're hurting so much. Just relax today and get some rest. We're with ya, woman.

• Oh you have all made me feel better...aint that a BAD thing...LOL....why is it that it makes us feel better to know that others understand?? WOW humans ARE strange...:)

I had to work yesterday and today but I have been taking my heating pad with me, my new/old best friend, :). It is still hurting with that "electrical" feeling but hey we can get through ANYTHING, cant we??

I am in contact with a company that will be doing a Nerve/Spine stimulator study here soon and the lady I spoke with said that I sound perfect for it!! I can and will NOT have more surgeries back there...I just cant!!

You know that I will keep you all updated, maybe too well...:)

So Cath your GM name was Polly?? I have not ran into many of us...:)...LOL

Well THANK YOU ALL for being there and listening to me be all whiney!!! LUV YA!!!
  • Howdy Polly!!

Looks like you are maybe feeling a bit better today! Good for you woman! Nerve/Stim study. Is that similar to the SCS trials I see on here, or something different?

*HUGZ* to hoping your day is going better today!! :)

• Polly, I'm so sorry I didn't see your post yesterday when you needed the support so badly. I'm here for you, except I somehow missed this post.

I'm VERY careful when I lean over in the shower--well, when I lean over anywhere! I remember so well the day many years ago when I was in a grocery store and bent slightly forward to reach something in a display case when I got the lightning bolt in my back. I couldn't straighten up, couldn't even take a step for a few minutes. Finally was able to make my way over to a place where I could stand a while and get a little over it. Boy, those electric shots of pain are buggers and I feel so bad for you. Sending you BIG (bug GENTLE) hugs! imageimage

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Hey there,
    I didn't read all the replies but gosh, the bubble wrap comment from your husban is something we can all relate too.

I know your husband seems 'cruel' to make you laugh when you hurt but my husband did the same and it was welcomed because I knew he still cared enough to joke to try to get me to remember silly things will sneak up and we'll deal with it.

Get some rest.
  • This is a equal opporunity web site.

Everybody gets their turn at being "whiney".

And the rest of us try to offer help and comfort. Today was your turn.

Everyone has their day. >:D<
  • that all the comments made you feel better. That is the scariest thing in the world when you get bolts or lock up. hang in there.

• and would have answered beforehand if I'd known.
    Sorry Polly that you had an 'episode' of shooting pain. Thats the thing about fusions, or any back surgery, I suppose. Just when you think you're feeling a bit better, or forget momentarily about your back restrictions for a split second (like no bending, lifting, twisting etc) it comes back to bite you!

I did a similar thing not so long ago. Trouble is, I didn't realise I'd set my pain off again until AFTER I'd done it. It's so difficult when you react to something automatically. Hopefully though you've been able to rest since it happened - and using ice (or in my case frozen peas) is a good way to reduce inflammation (if that's what has caused your recent pain) and cool things down.

I would say take it easy, but if you're anything like me, it's so difficult because we still want to do things that make us feel a little more independent and useful.

Instead of me saying 'take it easy' - I think I'll say "TAKE GOOD CARE" instead.
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • I hope you are feeling better today! Those electric stabbing pains are horrible.

I still have a hard time when I squat down to pick something up (I still try to not bend much)

Hope you are having a better day! We are here for ya!
  • Oh you all are the BEST!! I love all of you for being there and the understanding means a WHOLE bunch!!! I am at work but after that I will go back in and post reply's to all my Spiney friends!!!

• Howdy Ms. Polly,

Wow! I can feel some positive energy flowing there woman! I am hoping that you are indeed feeling better. Good for you!!!! :)

• Hey Kris, sneak attacks...I LIKE IT!! Well the rest almost made it hurt worse...very strange!! How are you doing today?? :)
  • Jelly...it really does feel like nerves...which is no good!! How have you been holding up??
  • Brenda, he wants to try ALOT of his ideas..LOL...Polly in a Bubble...NOT!! Yeah that electric shock feeling is sooo bad!!

So have you been feeling"ok"? I know...what is OK really?? :)
  • Oh Jim do you also get tired of knowing what we as "Spiney's" have to accept....so not fun!!

So what movements makes yours BUZZZ??
  • Hello Julie, yeah it was and painful....so how are you feeling now??? I hope really really GREAT!!! :):)
  • My lumbar spine is doing very well.
    I also, like you, am having problems higher up my spine now.

I am coping well with being back at work now, which feels very good to be 'normal' again.