Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

NOW I'm scared to DEATH! Mylogram

virginiapvvirginiap Posts: 508
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
There is an old thread, with a recent post regarding mylograms.

Some you may know my history. 7 year Chronic lumbar pain, DDD, collapsed l4-5 100%, bone on bone, vertabre were buckling, spurs, stenosis, you name it; as well as other level issues. Had THE WORST DISCOGRAM of all time.

Current, had ALIF on 8/24; no relief, much worse, specifically in legs, several complications including bladder issues requiring daily cathing.
Pain meds have tripled post op.

Pain doc sent me for NS consult. BTY, the ALIF itself went well films 11 days post op show great positioning of all hardware, lordatic wedge, peek cage & 3 screws driven through the peek. No plate, no posterior augmented screws.

Consults says I must have mylogram, will call next week to schedule. My surgical NS is obviously unaware of my consult, I have follow up with pm on Nov 4. I can address concerns of this new doc & procedure with him then.

Ok, on the mylogram thread it is full of horror stories! My heart goes out to those members who are suffering as a result to this test! I pray they find relief!

NS said I will be put out/under, to help with procedural pain. But in this thread, people are still suffering months, years later. I am 9 weeks post op fusion and suffering horrendous pain as it is!

Please help, has anyone had a none issue (pain wise) is this a torture test?

Is it safe to do so soon after fusion?

Please, please, please, show me some support, if you've been through this PLEASE SHARE! I'm scared and the thought of adding to my suffering seems ridiculous!

Thank you spineys, I await your generous replies!

• I had a myelogram without any issues afterward. I was fascinated watching the monitor as the doc injected the dye and seeing the results of the CT. This was done over 6 years ago and I would do it again if the doc deemed it necessary.

• it will be ok , i had the dye put thru my brain and i was fine , no pain , no after effects , my x father in law had a myelogram, he was fine , no after effects.

after all you have been thru , i can empthasize with you , that youve had enough , but you got thru major surgery, this is really mild compared to that .

and your going to be out to it , so you wont even no , youll just go to sleep , then wake up,

lots of hugs to you :)
  • For quick replies, I slept a whole 2 hours, that's two less then usual.
    I guess I got very stressed out when I read the mylogram thread and seen so many who suffered so much afterwards.

I am just so disappointed with my progress, pain levels, complications and I am physically exhausted, and even with restoril I barely sleep anymore.

Thank you again!

Thanks for the hug Flower, I needed it!
  • Hello,
    I have had mylograms and epidurals and they are not more painful that perhaps what you have endured already. It is perhaps the thought rather than the process itself and many here have had this experience.

It is never easy reading what happens to others and how it relates to your situation, you are an individual and many here give voice to what has happened to them to share knowledge and understanding, we all read these and infer how it relates to us and the reality of our situation.

Take care and good luck.

• had a myelogram this past tuesday. I too was aprehensive but it was fine, My neuro admitted me for an overnight stay, I got a shot of ativan prior to the test and I was relaxed and it was over in about 90mins including the CT. I had no complications after, I had to lay flat with my head elevated for 12 hours and push more fluid & went home the following day and so far no more pain than I had before the test. I am 10 months post l4/l5 ALIF with continued back and leg pain. Good luck you will do fine. Just drink plenty of fluids prior to the test, i started on Sat and drank a couple liters of water extra each day.
  • We had the same level & procedure and now the same invasive testing post op!!

Was your overnight stay preplaned? You said no complications.

Just curious, as from what I've read test is 30-60 min, then CT scan and then you hang in recovery for about 4 hours..So with pre op I was told expect 7-8 hrs total.

I am also suffering from a great deal of back & leg pain, worse then before ALIF. I had it previously and thought it was unbearable...but I now know that wasn't so, as I am so much worse.off.

Are you working? What do you do? If you don't mind me asking, I don't want to get too personal or outside your comfort zone.

Have you been symptomatic all along (immediately post op) or did you have a recent onset of new or greater pain. Why mylogram now after all these months?

I look forward to your reply Renee! Quick question, with ALIF do you have a plate or back screws or neither.

Thank you again, & I hope your mylogram provides insight into your pain.

• Virginia,

So far I haven't had one of these. I just wanted you to know that I am keeping you in my thoughts, and too sending you positive energy that all turns out well. *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Brenda!
    Secondary to a Brenda *hug* is your unique ability to make me laugh. You have a great talent of adding a nice appropriate joke here & there (like sprinkles on a nice ice cream cone) within your posts and you often make me smile, and some times crack me up!
    Thank you for your great positive attitude, you are a rare find... I mean it!
  • Virginia,

You're very Welcome woman!!! ;-) Sprinkles on ice cream, Rofla!! Just put that picture in your head, so when they do the procedure, you will be enjoying your favorite flavor and the needle is the sprinkles! *HUGZ* (don't forget the "Z") back to ya!!!

• YES, I will picture ice cream ala mylogram! Picturing white sandy beaches, won't work for me, I live there already!. Although, I haven't ventured near the sand since the surgery, right now I prefer solid paved roads!

Brenda, glad I made you laugh ROFLA! I owed you one!

I should find out tomorrow when the mylogram will be, I hope its not till the following week, I see my PM on the 4th and really need his guidance, especially since he sent me to this NS and its sort of behind the back of my NS who did my surgery.

It's a COVERT BLACK OPS mylogram....LOL, now I made myself laugh!

• Virginia,

Hopefully this test will be like our surgery experiences. You know, when you wake up and realized you worried more than need be? Please let us know when the visit for sprinkles is!! 8>

PS.. Good to see you smiling now woman!!
  • Okay so we seem to be in the same boat here.....1st I have a cage w/ allograft, 2 screws and a plate..all plate n cage are titanium. My problems started years ago but my pcp would give me steroids/muscle relaxers and I would stay in bed a day or two then be fine. It would hit me maybe 1 or 2x a year then in Jan 09 the pain hit and got progressively worse and no meds helped.1st I had a hysterectomy as I had large fibroids that they thought were pressing on a nerve..did not help..
    I had ESI's & pt thru a PM doc...
    MRI showed large butterfly(?) herniation at l4/l5...
    I was off on family medical leave to take care of my mom at the time (she passed away end of Dec 08) so I was not working and have been on STD now LTD since
    I had a laminectomy/disectomy June 09....pain got worse down into my legs at that point....
    Another round of ESI's Aug, Sept, Oct 09 no relief
    Dec 09 I had the fusion...
    My back pain continued as did the leg pain..I woke up screaming in ICU as the pain in my left leg was horrific..the disc crumpled when they got in there and I lost alot of blood so thats why ICU..
    Neuro kept telling me it takes time well by June I was like "Okay...I should be on the upswing but I am not!" So again I had ESI's no help...MRI showed nothing...tried neurotin and lyrica no relief...I do take Cymbalta and that has stopped my meltdowns at least but no help with the pain...So my neuro said he wanted to do a myelogram to see what it showed...He told me right off the bat that he admits his patients so he can have them closely monitored.he said I fight with alot of insurance companies but I always win..I love him...soooo old school...He himself pushed me into the OR from the pre op area and tucked me in on both surgeries....
    I am/was a systems analyst at a local hospital for the last 20 years...this has been awful...I can not stand the pain meds...I get very sick from them..so I have learned to keep my self on a strict schedule to avoid having to take to often..I pretty much either lay in bed or I get up and move around for a few hours then back to bed with heat or ice.....a muscle relaxed and an ativan too...hate the percocet..I dont go out much because the car is the ultimate instigater with this leg burning pain...I hope I get some answers soon....I hope u do also. I need some relief as I am sure u do...this has been the worst 2 years....I will let u know what I find out I am waiting for an appt to be set up for me to go over the results with my neuro. Can u sit? I sat and did bills last week maybe an hour at most? I wanted to litteraly cut my leg off i was ruined for the rest of the day...right now I am laying in bed with heat on my leg and ice on my left cheek:)
    My husband said we can dress u up and sit u on the front porch for halloween!!! as the old lady...hee hee. But without him honestly I don't know what I would have done.He has been my angel thru this whole ordeal.....please let me know more about yourself and how this all happened to you. Isn't it nice to compare stories????? wish they were happy ones!
    hope you have a decent night....