Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bone Growth Stimulator for Cervical Region

Jennifer76JJennifer76 Posts: 20
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

well after going through ACDF surgery approximatley 3 months ago,at my 3rd post-op appt this past week my surgon stated that there would be a nurse coming by my house to fit me with a bone growth stimulator! What the heck is this thing and what does it really do? I have read up on it but am getting conflicting information to be honest!! I already have migraines and it seems to cause those so I don't want it already!!! :( Please help if you are knowlegable in this area! Thanks! Jenn

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I wore the cervical bone stimulator after my surgery. It is a very bulky unit that goes around the neck. I was required to wear it 4 hours per day for 6 months. You will not even realize you are wearing it after awhile and produces no feelings when turned on. I used to look at my timer to make sure it was on. While on the telephone you will hear noises through the phone, like a clicking noise so I never used the phone while wearing mine. I always wore mine while I slept that way my 4 hours were up and it was not a issue during the day. I have had 5 cervical surgeries of which 4 were failed fusions so on the last surgery I was required to wear the unit 1 week after surgery. On my 6 month check-up I had finally fused. So yes they do work to help create bone and fusion. Lets just say they are not the most fashionable thing to wear but a great conversation piece.
  • I can echo what susan said, pretty easy thing to do. What you don't want to do is to go through the revision surgery as that is much harder on you. So the stimulator is worth the try. I referred to it as my stars wars gear. You can break the time up, but the first hour has to be worn through the hour or you will have to start the timer over again. They are programmed to work for whatever your surgeon is specifying. There is really no fitting involved with it. The nurse will probably be there maybe a whole 10 minutes to show you how to use it.
  • Thank you both so much for your help! I am nervous about wearing this thing and haven't even recieved it yet!! I will have to wear mine at work and I work with MR (Mental clients) so I am wondering how they will take it :) This could get interesting. Hopefully it will help!!
  • your patients will probably make comments about the "hello kitty" It has a plastic face that often looks like a "hello kitty." If you redirect their attention to the face, it will probably stop being an issue. You have no need to be afraid of it, it's comfortable and you won't really notice it's on.
  • Thank you Flash!

I guess I am not "scared" of it per se... just apprehensive. :) Just want to get it over with.. all of this over with! But I guess we all do!! Thanks for your help!!
  • Here are a few videos I have made about one version of the bone growth stimulator i have.

URL's Removed

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Administrator Dave