Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

disability waiver on life insurance

susiessusie Posts: 152
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I didn't realize it until today but I have a life insurance policy that has a disability waiver on it. I have had this policy for years & years. It's $75 a month - so when I noticed the disability waiver I called about it. The ins. company said that they would start a claim & mail me the paperwork. I asked what I would have to do & she said just that they would have my Dr. fill out a paper stating I was not able to do my usual employment & they would verify with social security that I have been receiving social security disability.

I was kind of concerned that if the Ins. company would verify with social security that I was receiving disabilty that it would trigger a social security disability review - does something such as verifying a person is receiving disability draw attention & maybe trigger a review?

I guess I have a concern about the review I know I will eventually get from social security & I think I would
still be considered disabled = but it's one of those things that I think would be kind of something I'd worry about.

I would like to save the $75 a month on my life ins. premium & they would go back 1 year & mail me a check for a years worth of premiums since that is the limit of time they will reimburse you - I should have filed a claim as soon as I was disabled but I didn't realize that I had the coverage.

What would you do - not be concerned that your social security disability would be reviewed just because someone called to verity you were receiving it?

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    All they are requesting is a confirmation of SSDI and the date benefits began. This won't trigger SS to take any action as long as the inquiry is purely informational. You can ask them how they word it but it likely will be along the lines of "if she is receiving SSDI then she may be eligible for a refund of premiums paid". Keep in mind that Life Ins companies make these requests constantly as WOP (waiver of premium) is common as a provision in many life insurance policies.

The inquiry would likley go to a clerk who responds to informational requests only and is not involved in claim decisions and when a Life Insurance company is asking a question that does not imply that your inability to work has changed.

And now that you have been in contact with the Life Ins company, they would expect you to agree to an inquiry to SS. If not it may lead them to believe you are not disabled and have something to hide. So go forward and you will likely get a nice return of premium. I got one on my Life Insurance and on my private disability plan and my employer based disability plan. All were great checks to receive to help out financially.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I guess anything to do with social security upsets me - they have sent me the papers & I will be so
    glad to receive the benefit - thanks for the sensible reply = Susan
  • I get so upset - all I had to do was mail in a copy of my social security award & a very short form to my Dr. - I had it so built up in my mind.....
  • thanks for posting this...i need to check mine.
  • I was so wary of filling out this claim - thinking it might trigger a s.s. review - they sent me the paperwork, my dr. filled out the form stating I would never be able to do any work, even min. ( & I wasn't sure he would put not even min./sedentary work but he did) & that I was not a candidate for retraining, I had to include a copy of my S.S. disability award letter & within a week of mailing it all in - they sent me a check for the last year's worth of premiums, over $800.00 & I do not have to pay this $73.37 a month until I turn 65 & I just was 51 last month.

Such a little bit of effort resulted in such a payoff, it never entered my mind that I had a
    disability waiver on this joint ins. policy that
    I share with my husband.

If someone hadn't mentioned something about the possibility of this - I would never have thought to check - might be an idea for anyone with life ins. policies they are paying on. It's just not paperwork you look at every day. I am thankful, this will help pay for other things.

I was also kind of relieved to see that my Dr. did put those limits on my future because I had it in my mind that I didn't really know how long or to what extent I would be in the shape I am in - so it was a relief in that respect.
  • Susie,

Bravo!!! Congratulations for you and your hubby. I know you were worried, but so glad it turned out to be (for once huh?) something that is working in YOUR favor! Congrats again Susie!!! *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Congratulations. Now you can pass it on, when you see people on this board who have been awarded SS or STD/LTD share with them that they may have WOP on any life insurance they have. I had it on my employer's STD/LTD as I also had Life Ins via my employer. I also had WOP on my individual disability policy and received a years worth of premiums back last month. However on my other Life policy (purchased outside of my employment) I did not have the WOP provision. So it's not always there but when it is, it's a good thing to check out.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos