Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My surgery is scheduled!

happyHBmomhhappyHBmom Posts: 2,070
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
December 15th! That's only a month away!

I have a pre-admit appointment with my surgeon on the 7th and will get some more details then, then it's all systems go!

I also confirmed with my pain management doctor that we're all good- I have an appointment already on the 1st. He'll want me to drastically reduce my pain med intake over that 2 weeks (he says this is the best chance to get the best pain relief post op, when I will *really really really* want it). He will write my prescriptions for post op meds, since my surgeon only does baby meds.

And that's that!

• wow! Sounds like everything is coming together quite nicely :)

What surgery are you having - if it's Ok to ask? If not..I will understand ;)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • HB,

So HAPPY for you woman!! *HUGZ* I looked at that link you posted for Lisa showing the surgery. I so hope that you get the much wanted relief from your present pain. We are a weird group when we can't wait to get the surgery huh? Congrats!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Hi HB,

So glad to hear your surgery is scheduled! Isn't it funny what we get excited about--oh boy, somebody is going to cut on me, lol. image Seriously, though, I hope this upcoming surgery fixes you up. You certainly need the help--and you don't even have long to wait! image

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Humpty, he will be removing L2 (what is left of it), replacing it with a cage and bone graft, and fusing it to L1 and L3, restoring the proper alignment of my spine. The fusion will be a 360 degree fusion.

I will have an "anteriolateral" incision on my side and a posterior incision as well. Pedicle screws, rods, tabs, the whole 9 yards. I will be setting off metal detectors everywhere :)

Yay! (yep! I'm weird!)

• :H
    Wow, its always funny when you are waiting for the date, and your so confused and complexed, and then BAM!,..... THE DATE! And it kinda all falls in to place.

I wish you peace during your preparation time. As the date approaches, lots of emotions will flood in.

For me it was difficult my husband was so against the approach (ALIF), so much so, I postponed my surgery two days out.....! Talk about stress. ~X(

We re-grouped and went for more opinions and he got onboard! Rescheduled and he stood by me the whole way. :D

So Happy, its nesting time. Get all your ducks in a row and relax, we are hear for you! :-C I didn't post till after surgery, I wish I had been posting prior, for the support from all these wonderful and compassionate members.

I will be praying for you.

• Congrats! I have seen those movies before. I'm still wondering what there going to do without a cage but as we saw in the video the bone graft will fill it.

We are going to be able to supprt eachother since your surgery is just 2 weeks after mine. We will be saying goodbye to our L2....

• Well HB, at last you have a date to work to.
    Not long until you turn into the Golden Road that will lead to Less Painville and Better Lifeton.

We are here to support you as you prepare yourself and your home for this day.

You have been waiting for this for a while now.
    :D >:D< >:D<
  • happyHBmom said:
    I will be setting off metal detectors everywhere :)
    The hardware is made of titanium. It's highly unlikely that you'll set off any metal detectors.

• Yes, Dave is right. I was full of metal and did not beep when I went through them.

:OO :-OO
  • I actually knew that. A little hyperbole never hurt anyone, did it?

(shhh, don't answer that!)

It's not like I go anywhere, anyway ;)
  • HB,

It would be great if after all is said and done, and your back fully heals - to be able to RIDE again!!! I know that is a biggie you miss. :)

Holy Hell! I just realized you had your accident 13 years ago! Wow! Why so long for someone to be able to fix this surgically? Wow!!!

• Aviatrix36440 said:

It would be great if after all is said and done, and your back fully heals - to be able to RIDE again!!! I know that is a biggie you miss. :)

Holy Hell! I just realized you had your accident 13 years ago! Wow! Why so long for someone to be able to fix this surgically? Wow!!!

Wow what she says! A long time to wait for surgery. I hope now you'll be able to get some life back. So happy to hear you have a date HB Mom. Now you have to get the Holiday shopping done early. But seriously will pray for your recovery. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Ugh, major brain fade. 3 years ago. I will fix it :)

Thanks for adding some pity to the pity pool, though. I do like to wallow now and then.
  • 3 years is a long time too, but far better than 13! For me, I call them "Lyrica Moments!" Wallow away!! :)

• Hi, that is great news for you. I see your are a rider. Do you think you might be able to get back on board after this kind of surgery??? Have you asked the Doc's?

I only ask as I have horses too and am having surgery this month and live in hope I will ride again. You might be my inspiration!!!

All the best to you, Maxine :H
  • Yes, I hope! My doctors say "horse people are crazy." I know plenty of people who ride with multiple fusions, hip replacements, etc who ride.

• Yes my Doc says the same! I hope all goes welll and that first of all you recover and are not in such pain.

Take care and fingers crossed for getting back in the saddle.
  • If it helps, I did ride after my accident- I was able to start riding about 6 months after, and rode for almost a year and a half before things became intolerable. So if I can ride with most of my vertebrae gone, I figure I should be able to ride with it fixed!
  • You sound like a brave person. After my accident (equestrian too) I tried twice to ride and ended up far worse. Have not ridden mine since March!

Well I said you would be my inspiration and it's already happening.

Really...the best of luck to you. :D