Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Numbness . . . it's increasing

saltzworksssaltzworks Posts: 1,031
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Okay everyone,

I've been doing so well that I rarely think about my back and surgeries - well, I'm at least down to only thinking about it every few days instead of every hour.

Anyway - I've just realized that the numbness has completely encompassed my big toe now and the other numb parts have gotten more deeply numb.

I just kept thinking that it was my imagination, that it must be my shoe I wore that day, or I'm not really noticing a difference - but now I'm certain. It's been months and months and I'm really sure now.

But - what does it mean. Should I care?

I don't think anything can be done. I wonder if its just scar tissue that is building up on the nerves.

I can safely ignore it can't I? It's relatively easy to ignore, it is numbness after all ;)

I really really hate calling the NS for something like this. They just want to throw medication at me. :(

so... give me advice! Do you think I can safely ignore this for a year or so? Anyone have any experience with this??

___ background____

Post-op my entire right leg was like a block of wood. It moved, but you could literally poke needles in it and I would not feel it.

I had a second surgery asap and the numbness stopped spreading and started to reverse.

I did get some feeling back eventually - to where only the outside half of my leg was numb and thick feeling. My toes did stay numb, except the big toe, I did have it back for over a year.

• I wouldn't ignore the new numbness for a year or whatever. Do check with your NS. It might not be anything to worry about, but seems there is a change. If your NS isn't concerned, then that will give you peace of mind.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • No, I don't think you ignore it :( I think it calls for new imaging at the very least to make sure nothing bad is happening.

• I too, wouldn't ignore it. I have new numbness following a steroid injection. I will be having a nerve conduction study to try to determine the cause... I think it is important to know the cause of new symptoms!

Wishing you the very best!
  • darn it.

I really don't want to head back to the NS and start another round of 'stuff'.

I will though - I trust you all so much more than I trust my own instincts.

I do wish I could convince myself it's all in my head and it's not really happening. It is easier to do that with numbness than pain - just probably not a smart idea.

did I say darn it? darn it again.
  • Think you've made the right decision to go back to the NS. I know you've been through a lot of surgeries and the thought of seeing the NS again is hard to take. You've had to be strong, but it's worth finding out what's causing the new numbness. Yeah darn it !!

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • They always tell you not to ignore new symptoms. You have been through enough that you dont want to go backwards! Good Luck and Hang in there. Will be axious to hear what you find out.
  • I think you should follow up. It might no be your spiine at all. It could be a number of other things but you should probably start right there.

Feel Better & Keep us Posted,

• I think I'm pretty depressed about it - I keep delaying the call.

I promise - tomorrow.

It was a holiday anyway today - right? LOL!