Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

work hassles and non support

terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,831
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Chronic Pain
it is amazing what a difference a year makes with work hassles. last year my principal was not supportive at all with my back, surgery, and chronic pain issues. i am sure as i read, a lot of you have experienced hassles with supervisors. they seem to view our pain etc as an inconvenience that interferes with the smoothness of work. as a teacher it is bad with respect that since i missed a lot of time, my students missed educational time. since i am a special ed teacher working with my students is more important because i have to write IEP's that deal with individuals. no support from principal, no support with discipline. if a kid did something wrong, v.p. would come in and ask the kids if johnny swore. well, we all know kids won't rat on their friends therefore the kid must be right when he said i did not swear. i am not workman's comp but i am sure the hassles are worse with you guys. well new year, new principal, new attitude. i almost bought the farm last year with emergency surgery and still no help. i am here to say if you get a new boss, try to work with them and don't carry the negative attitudes that make work worse. i was upset because of the lack of support and my attitude was just as bad. if you find yourself in a bad situation with work, try to maintain a positive attitude. don't argue, blame, complain, etc. smile and say yes, i will try my best. i have done that and also i have a new principal which helped. with my new attitude, i am now among the respected teachers, from the outhouse to the penthouse. i am also department chair. so pleeeeeze be as positive as possible in difficult times. it can only help. if you are mad etc, kick the couch or hit the wall. i am living proof of positive mind set at work and how it helps us.
I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.

• Oh Jon I am very glad to hear that work is better !!! YEAH for a positive attitude!!!
  • It's so true, if you go into a situation with negativity and resistance, you'll be met with the same. That's not to say you shouldn't stick up for yourself when you need to, but do it in such a way that you don't put anyone off; with diplomacy, tact and a positive attitude you'll get far. Unless, of course, the people you're dealing with are just bitter "people" (insert whatever word you wish here depending on situation, lol) themselves, but that's why we have so many different legal advocates. You just have to find them and seek their help.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Jon,

Good for you! Glad to see things have turned around at work. Pain wise, that might ease up a bit to? Less stress = less pain. Thanks for sharing!! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • That's very sound advice. I wish I had adhered to that about 10 years ago when I left a very good job in a huff due to an awful new department director (who I later learned was temporary). If I had one what you've posted, I'd still be a very happy camper there with benefits out the wazoo.

Just goes to show...
  • but it's very difficult to keep a positive attitude when you feel your manager is creating barriers and obstacles to make it more difficult for you to get back to work.

I suppose I'm lucky in a way because I work for a Local Authority in the UK. They are supposed to be hot on 'equality and diversity' - only sometimes they don't always show it (in my personal experience).

I do maintain a positive attitude and am always polite, courteous, honest and agreeable - but I have found recently that my managers' treatment of me leaves alot to be desired. It's difficult to maintain the English 'stiff upper lip' when you feel you're being trodden down even further.

On a positive note, I worked with the same Authority (different job) 5 years ago and they bent over backwards to help me.

2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • The Government is also supposed to be hot on "Diversity and hiring employees with Disabilities and being the great saver of the less fortunate work bee... Not even close, however, I agree that the boss has a lot to do with it. I have never had a boss like this one and I think most of the rest of the group are starting to see it too. He isn't all he says he is, he is a two faced pile. It is catching up to him. Anyway, irregardless of that, I think as Jon said, it is important not to carry over these types of issues, both with your boss AND people in general. Just because Joe tells me that the new girl Susie is a B or a lousey worker, doesn't mean I'm going to buy it. Everyone must get to know individual's themselves and form their own opinion. Just because someone comes in with a bad rap, doesn't necessarily mean they are a lousey employee or person. Maybe they came from a lousey boss and that is where they earned their underdeserved lousy reputation. I have seen it many times. Everyone in every situation deserves a fair chance and a chance to prove themselves, or to show you who they are and what they are capable of.
This discussion has been closed.