Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

one week post PLIF and tripped..

MLT01MMLT01 Posts: 172
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Nervous on what I did. I was getting out of bed this morning and my foot was caught in the sheets and fell forward. In so much pain right now!!!

Maria

spondylolisthesis at L4-5; stenosis,
Lumbar surgeries 1999 L4-L5
Lumbar staph infection 1999-2000"
Meningitis x5 in 1999-2001
Brain shunt 2000"
Brain shunt removed 20001"
ALIF/PLIF fusion 8/5/09
Failed fusion and Failed Hardware
PLIF Fusion scheduled for 10/29/10

advertisement

Comments

• Don't know......rest for awhile---hopefully it will calm down. Don't think the worst, but keep us posted. :-)

Charlie
  • but as the previous post said, try and rest up, take your medication, and hopefully you'll start to feel better soon.

I think that the hardware can cope with more than we imagine. At week 6 after 2-level fusion I twisted around when I was driving. It was a natural reflex and it wasn't until I did it that I felt an intense sharp pain in my spine. I was convinced I did something terrible to the hardware as I experienced more pain and I phoned the surgeon's office for advice. I was told to rest and to attend my review appointment (which was 2 weeks away). The x-rays showed that the hardware was all fine, thank goodness.

So if you still experience a much higher level of pain than you had before you tripped up, then I'd phone up your surgeon for further advice OK?.
    SUE
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • Call your surgeon (some one is on call) leave a message or what ever you can. They may want you to come in for an xray to check your hardware. Better safe than sorry.

Try to feel better. Can you use ice? 20 minutes on then remove it?

Julie
  • I didn't realize I had an infection and ended up passing out and falling twice in the first week after my 2 level plif. So from experience I can say, yes, call your doc but it probably is okay and you probably are fine. It is scary, but most of the pain is probably nerve pain flaring up and not that you've done any damage. good luck.
  • I haven't had back surgery yet, only cervical, but if the hardware is like they told me for my neck, you *should* be fine. I agree with the others though, you should let your doctor know, especially this early on. Also too, should something come up later, he knew of the fall. Fingers crossed that all is well!! *HUGZ*

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
advertisement