Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Min invasive surgery

iowarobiniiowarobin Posts: 1,268
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all, I was wondering if there is anyone that has had lumbar fusion with minimal invasive lumbar fusion. My Dr in Mpls said he is going to do mine that way. I am wanting to know how post surgery is and overall recovery.
The first fusion I had was 2 level PLIF. It was far from easy. and I know this will not be easy, just want so info from someone in the know. Thanks
advertisement

Comments

• Hello,
    I had a MIS-TLIF by a Neurosurgeon. I was expecting to experience terrible pain from the procedure but it honestly was quite easy, well after the first 24 hours anyway :) Prior to surgery I was not on anything other than Advil and after the surgery I used 1 5mg valium and one Tylenol 3 per day. I don't tolerate pain meds well so I try to keep the meds to a minimum. 10 months after my fusion I had my hardware removed by the same surgeon using the same technique and it was the worst thing I have ever been through. I felt like my spine had been crushed into pieces. I actually had to use the Percocet that was given after the surgery. To this day I will never understand why the hardware removal was so painful given the fusion was relatively easy.

IMHO, all surgery is invasive but using an approach that causes the least amount of disruption is easier to recover from providing the surgeon is highly skilled. I think it is difficult to know who is using the most current MIS approach, at least that is what I discovered when I was looking for a surgeon. Many if not most surgeons claim they are using MIS but I think that means different things to different surgeons.

Are you having another fusion? What kind of procedure did you have with your previous fusion? When are you scheduled? I really hope this is the solution to your ongoing spine pain. You've suffered so much.
  • Yes I am having a 2nd fusion. I had a PLIF in Dec 08 for l4-L-5, L5-S-1. It was horrible for the first couple of weeks.
    I am scheduled on Dec 13, for L-2-L-3, L3--L4. I have degenerative disc disease. My disc at L-1-L-2 is fine. The L3-L-4 had a small tear in it before the first fusion, but I was advised to only do 2, and that the other one wasnt to bad and we could do it later if needed. Well, the pain never went away, so I am looking forward to trying this. Even though it means another surgery. Thanks for the info.