Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

hope4betterdayshhope4betterdays Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone,
I am new here so maybe not very experienced in posting comments.
I am 56, female, suffering from osteoarthritis, actually secondary osteoporosis, due to the benign tumor in the parathyroid gland (have removed it but osteoporosis is present), taking Actonel.
Other problems: buldging discs L4 and L5 S1, not compressed nerves although I am in pain - sciatica.
I am taking a lot of supplements: vitamin B complex because it used to be believed and doctors used to give injections to help the nerve to heal/recover.
Then, I am also taking Glucosamine, Fish oil, coenzyme Q10, and ocasionally Mobic, ot Ibubrufen. I also had Voltaren injections. And Faced joint injection plus cortison in my shoulder three times. I am on Somac which I believe protects me from bleeding (had ulcers in the past).
Everything helps a little bit but not much.
I was thinking about sunshine and vitamin D (deficiency).
As a child in my country everybody used to go to the seaside every summer for everything - bones, arthritis, nerve problems, colds, asthma, you name it. I used to go to Adriatic sea (Croatia). We seemed to be a bit healthier, vitamin D was ok, even immune system boosted and we didn't have colds often. So, now, when I am living in Australia (yes, the sun is harsh and a lot of skin cancer) but I started sunbathing because it seems it helps. While I am in the sun in my backyard I don't feel the pain plus hopefully I might get enough vitamin D which could push calcium into my bones.
What do you think about sun? It produces the whole chain reaction in the body while sunbathing, of course be careful not to expose yourself between 12 and 3 p.m.
I don't think it is a miracle but I am prepared to try everything before I start Lyrica or something like that which my neurologist prescribed me. It is never too late to take it and become addicited. Maybe I will one day.
Cheers, Kruna

• I think Vitamin D is very important and everyone should have their levels tested. IMO sunbathing is fine as long as you don't overdue it and burn.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! i do not believe laying out in the rays of the sun is healthy..my husband now suffers from a form of skin cancer caused by prior sunbathing.. taking a walk, covered is much safer... if you want to lay out i would cover as much of my body as possible.. the suns rays will still get through white so you would still get some protection and some sun. and wear a hat no matter what!!!! the sun is very hot right now and the microwaves it sends are are most dangerous to the skin.. also, many of our medications to not mix with the direct sun.. this is something you should check with your pharmacist..anyway, wear good protection and most of all, have a good time!!!i have lived in Hawaii and Mexico but since coming to the states, and i live next to the beach, i have not layed out!!! i get my sun by walking my dog or doing alittle gardening or even taking a covered walk on the beach!! good luck to you and i hope you are feeling better soon... Jenny