Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1 week post PLIF and Dr ordered Bone Stimulator!

MLT01MMLT01 Posts: 172
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Everyone,

I'm one week post PLIF and still in a great deal of pain. My Surgeon wants me to use this time around a Bone Growth Stimulator.

Has anyone found it to work? any side effects?? He wants me to try it this time around. I had all loose hardware and the bone wasn't growing well.

I know it's expensive and wasn't sure if this would be a guarantee or just a better chance to fuse?!

spondylolisthesis at L4-5; stenosis,
Lumbar surgeries 1999 L4-L5
Lumbar staph infection 1999-2000"
Meningitis x5 in 1999-2001
Brain shunt 2000"
Brain shunt removed 20001"
ALIF/PLIF fusion 8/5/09
Failed fusion and Failed Hardware
PLIF Fusion scheduled for 10/29/10

• I asked for one before my ALIF and was told "I didn't qualify" - I did my homework and honestly regret not insisting on one. So IMHO, your doc is on your side!
  • I told my doctor I want one, and told him I have a history of not fusing- right now I have an asymptomatic unfused collarbone and foot, and of course the spine collapsed in the first place...

He said he always uses one.
  • Thank you!! I'm hoping this time around it works!!

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I had a bone growth stimulator for both my cervical and lumbar fusions. I've found that they do me no harm and I have no side effects. So I'll use anything that may help. I felt nothing while wearing them though the cervical one interfered with my home phone (just the portable wireless)
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Thanks for the Info!!!

Maria :)
  • I wore the spinal one.
    Just make sure your ins. co. is gonna pay for it before you get it.

There are no guarantees, but they report they do increase your chances of fusing.
    I had no side effect's either, so if you can get something that will increase your chances, go for it.
    I'm glad my NS ordered one for me.
  • I used one after my first fusion. Not sure how well it worked as I had a hardware removal and fusion extended down a level 9 months later,my bones still weren't healed yet. My insurance refused to pay for another after my second fusion (they are only good for so many treatments) so hopefully I fused well. I go into surgery 12-29 so we shall see!!

I didn't have any side effect or harm with it. I wish I could of afforded one out of pocket after my second fusion.